Philly Meetup - Pics page 15

Jillian Aversa

We'll definitely make room for people coming from out of state! But perhaps if this does get really big, Sporknight could host some people since he's in University City. We'll see when it gets closer...

Oh gee, thanks for volunteering me :P

I'm still in a dorm, so I could only really do one guest. Seems like something we'd have to figure out once we get a definitive head-count. Even then, you cant really do a definitive head-count until the day of.

As of the moment, I am leaning towards going. But most likely, I will not be able to sleep over due to the number of people and I do not live terribly far either. Though I would like to get breakfast with you guys one day. The game playing would be great too. Anyway,that's the plan for now. Besides, my friend is on break for only a short while from UPenn during that time which is kind of unfortunate. Otherwise, I would definitely stay over or something. I only have weekends free mainly too.. I don't have a real summer vacation.

Andy and I will have to cap off the sleepover at 7 guests due to space. So far we're all booked, so that means as of now that Katsurugi, Dyne, and Sporknight won't be able to stay with us, sadly, since they aren't commuting as far.

Anyone new reading this: if you live nearby and could host anyone, please let us know! Sporknight said he could host one guest in his Drexel dorm. So that makes accomodations for 11 people total so far if you include zircon and I.

Sporknight: are you sure one guest is all you could do? When Andy was living in his closet of a Drexel dorm room, we managed to fit four people - two in bunk beds and two on the floor. :3

We probably won't have breakfast the next morning until around noon, so anyone having to commute would still have time and be welcome to return!

Hey Spork, what dorm are you in, out of curiosity?

I'm gonna be in North hall over the summer - which actually, as far as dorms go, is fairly spacious. Sure beats Calhoun freshman year *shudder*.

Were it not for the guest policy I could cram in quite a few more people, no doubt, but I'm only gonna be able to sign in one person. I could consider asking my suite/floormates to sign a few guests in, but I can't promise more then one spot at this point.

Funny, I don't remember the sign-in thing ever being an issue for us considering we were out of town friends. But maybe the hall you're moving to is stricter?

They might have changed the policies since I was in Van R... or it might be stricter, yeah. But actually, I seem to recall having to deal with getting help signing multiple people in for overnight stays. That definitely was a regulation we had to deal with at some point.

Andy and I will have to cap off the sleepover at 7 guests due to space. So far we're all booked, so that means as of now that Katsurugi, Dyne, and Sporknight won't be able to stay with us, sadly, since they aren't commuting as far.

Boy, am I glad I checked the thread. Well, are there any hotels close by in Ardmore? If there are, maybe I'll just stay at one of those friday night, and just print some directions to 30th Street Station.

Edit

For the sake of my own sanity, if anyone (and by anyone, I do mean you Sporknight) is still able to host, I'd definitely do that as an alternative to a hotel room, but the question is...can you deal with epic snoring the likes of which you've only read about in books or heard about in nightmares????

Okay, it's not THAT bad. Anyway, either way, I'm going to do my best to find a place to stay...somehow.

Center City is pretty far, though, if you'd want to hang out the next morning. Before you book anything, maybe Sporknight will be able to report on whether he can host people. Or someone else who can may show up...

EDIT:

Or since your drive is only an hour, you could save money by commuting if nobody is able to host.

Center City is pretty far, though, if you'd want to hang out the next morning. Before you book anything, maybe Sporknight will be able to report on whether he can host people. Or someone else who can may show up...

EDIT:

Or since your drive is only an hour, you could save money by commuting if nobody is able to host.

I can still host a person, it's hosting more then one that would be difficult. I can handle the snoring, it's just you'd most likely be sleeping on the couch in the common area of the suite, so bring a sleeping bag or some sheets. Or, look into public transit options I suppose.

Why are the meetups so FAR away always :(

I wish you guys made a closer to the south for once so I could go, I've always wanted to go to one, but its always so very far from me :(

Even if it was Georgia or South C. or maybe even North C. I'd drive to that, but drive to Philly... way too far :(

Idk about planes, they are too expensive around this time of the year.

Is there a train that gets up there?

Why are the meetups so FAR away always :(

I wish you guys made a closer to the south for once so I could go, I've always wanted to go to one, but its always so very far from me :(

Even if it was Georgia or South C. or maybe even North C. I'd drive to that, but drive to Philly... way too far :(

Idk about planes, they are too expensive around this time of the year.

Is there a train that gets up there?

Bug Liontamer to make a Hotlanta OCR meetup, now that he's living down there. Note: I made this post just so I could say Hotlanta.

It's Philadelphia, so I'm sure that there's a train that goes there. It all just depends on where you're leaving from exactly. Personally, I think that trains can get to be very costly. But that all depends on what rail you use and how far you're traveling. If you are traveling that far, then you probably also have to find some place to stay too unless you plan on staying awake the entire time and only sleeping on the train. Figure out the costs for both plane and train. As you book tickets closer to the date, the prices skyrocket. A month in advance should give you a moderate price for plane tickets. Trains on the other hand are running all the time and are pretty much a flat fee. Considering that it's already June. Do it ASAP!

How far is Center City? I thought you guys were going to have a breakfast around 11 or 12. Dyne just has to wake up earlier.. But it seems as if spork can host him... if all goes well.

Drexel is in University City; from the dorms, it's a 10 min leisurely walk to the train station, 20 minute train ride to Ardmore, and 5-10 minute walk to our apartment. Center City is the area ~1 mile west of Drexel's campus. You can take the subway from there directly to 30th Street (which goes to Ardmore, as it's the train transport hub) easily.

Oh, man, this is PERFECTLY timed, if I can organize transportation.

I'm going to a gymnastics camp in State College, PA, starting June 29th.

Is there anybody comming from down south that could give me a ride up? I may be able to catch a bus up into VA if somebody could drive me the rest of the way.

EDIT: Actually, it appears a bus into Philly will only cost me about $50, so I should be able to swing that no problem. I'll need to know how to get from the bus stop to the meetup location, though.

Greyhound.

It seems as if all of the Greyhound stations in Philly are near Metro stations as well. At the very worst, you are a subway ride and transfer over to 30th St. Station. The best case scenario is if you are dropped off at 30th St. which is a Greyhound bus stop. The only catch is that there is no actual station there. It just lets you get off.

The main Greyhound station is around 11th St. which is a block away from the subway on the Market-Frankford Line. Two other stations are located on Broad street. If at the North Broad Street Station, you would proceed to the Olney Transportation Center and take the subway south to City Hall on the Broad St. Line and transfer to the Market-Frankford Line. Conversely, if you are the South Broad Street Station, you will take the Broad St. Line north to City Hall and then transfer over to the Market-Frankford Line.

http://www.septa.org/maps/click_map.html

I have only been to Philadelphia twice before and have a very shallow understanding of their system and city... but this seems like the right way to go.