OCR00312 - Chrono Trigger "Schala Ancients"

Saunders

• 8 months later...

Some kind of synthetic wave takes on the track of the repetitive rhythm that defines and distinguishes Schala's Theme from others, while occasionally a piano does as well. It's kind of loud placed, causing some crackly distortion in a couple sectioned seconds. The underlying drum kick sounds like something used for the making of a heartbeat (but doesn't actually sound like a beating heart), but goes with the song and isn't just going "thump thump thump thump", which is good otherwise it wouldn't sound smooth at all. The constant cymbal crash at the end does disrupt the smoothness like that, however, but can sound fine if you are not paying 100% attention to the song while it's running in your playlist.

I would be lying if I said there weren't better sounding versions of this song, but don't leave DJ Cyker out in the open, he might just come around again some day.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Pretty chill stuff; definitely holds up pretty well nowadays. Considering that I can't stand hearing people remix Schala's theme much anymore, this was pretty cool. It's CT material, so it doesn't really need anyone's endorsement in order to gain downloads, but certainly throw your two cents in on this one, from one of OCR many one-hit wonder mixers, DJ Cyker.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Schala - now in ghetto style.

I like the sound you get out of this well-mixed song, cool beats with a piano that sometimes shows up playing a tune for us. But according to the title SchalaAncients, I thought there would be some kind of ancient feel to it, like bells and strings and those chill stuff. I guess you fooled me, Cykedude.

Very good remix with alot of feel and nice cymbals at the end, this is really none too shabby.

• 1 year later...

Though the soundscape is a bit muddy, and the ending is really weak and abrupt, this mix has a lot of cool stuff going for it. It has a relaxed feeling, and there are several structure surprises, including some well thought out chord changes that deviate from the original, and really make this mix unique.

With a little cleaning up of the sections and a proper ending this would be a timeless mix, but as is, it is still very enjoyable, and has aged incredibly well.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

OA got the word I was looking for. The track overall sounds muddy. Things have too much delay or something, because at points I almost lose what's going on. There are points where it sounds alright as is, but at times I wish things were clearer.

The track is quite mellow, and it's nice to chill out to. I didn't think the drums were a bad edition, but maybe a little sudden. The original melody heard near the end briefly was pretty cool. I would have liked more of that.

Ending is a bit sudden, even if the fade was longer that would have been better. Still an enjoyable mix, despite it's faults.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

The pads in the opening felt a bit off, but overall I like the groove going on here. The piano and the powerful strings especially were a high point in the track. I'm also not really feeling the drums but they're not Bad Tuna-level offensive by any means, so it's not really a huge deal :-P

I wasn't as impressed with this as some of the other reviewers were, but this certainly isn't bad by any means.

• 2 months later...

This reminds me of ripples in a pond; the aftereffects of each note can be heard of echoing in a similar fashion. It also has a very lighly ice cave synth feel to it.

Truthfully though, this is so repetitive and yet feels so strangely appropriate. It feels like background music, and it works as background music. Huh.....

It's still an interesting listen, but it has this really unreconcilible (at least in my mind) trait of causing one to relegate this to the back of one's conscious mind.

In the end, go check it out.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00312 - Chrono Trigger "Schala Ancients"