Hopefully buying a surround sound setup...

Sensai

I hope this goes in this area of the boards. Sorry if it doesn't.

Anyways, I'm moving from my current residence, a 1 story home in which I live in the center to a new house, which has 3 stories, one of which belongs to me alone.

So, I figure I might wanna buy something to make use of all this wide open space...and I figured some speakers, for music, movies and gaming would go great!

Problem is...I haven't the faintest idea of where to start looking, or for what to look for.

Help?

The main question is, what's your budget?

Also, I don't know how much have your researched about surround sound systems, but hopefully you know that there are two main components to HTS (Home theater system), an audio video receiver, and then all the speakers. You can either buy a receiver and your speakers separately, or you can buy so called "Theater in a box". These "theater in a box" systems are basically receiver and speakers sold together.

What makes a an audio receiver good is how many inputs and outputs does it have; and generally speaking the greater the number the better. To be more specific, what you want is a high amount of digital inputs and outputs. For video, you would want HDMI, and for audio, you would want coaxial and/or optical, since these are the means that would make use of digital audio and video sources. For these home theater in a box systems, what you will typically find is that they tend to have very low number of inputs and outputs, unless you plan on purchasing more expensive systems. But if you buy receiver and speakers separately, you can create a good home theater system at a reasonable budget. But configuring a custom home theater system would require some more research from you and would probably be a bit of a hassle to set it up by yourself.

As for recommending a surround sound setup, I own Onkyo HT - R550, which an year ago was around $450 or so. Now this is a "home theater in a box", but it is a very good one at this price range. Plus, I did not wanted to go through hassle of configuring a custom home theater system.