Street Fighter IV

DJMetal

So, despite being relatively "in-the-know" when it comes to games coming out, I've heard very little about Street Fighter IV. Considering how much hype there's been about things like GTA IV and MSG4, I'm surprised at how little I've heard. Or maybe I'm not as with it as I thought I was =D. Anyways, I wiki'd it, and I'm actually pretty excited for it. Thoughts and opinions on the latest installment? Only a month before it hits arcades!

I think I'm looking forward to this game more than any game coming out in the forseeable future. It looks great, seems to play well. I hope it sells tons and tons and 1 on 1 fighters make a bit of a comeback. It doesn't have to be like the early '90's again, but it would be nice to have more than 1 fighting game for every 25 FPS games released...

I think I'm looking forward to this game more than any game coming out in the forseeable future. It looks great, seems to play well. I hope it sells tons and tons and 1 on 1 fighters make a bit of a comeback. It doesn't have to be like the early '90's again, but it would be nice to have more than 1 fighting game for every 25 FPS games released...

Man...I hear that. The last 1v1 fighter I really sunk my teeth into was Soul Caliber 2...and that was what, like five or six years ago? And before that, it was Marvel vs. Capcom 2...jeeze.

Clearly, the fighting game genre is slowly being phased out. There are some new titles here and there that are not completely embraced by the audience. Guilty Gear XX is extremely popular in some circles but not overall. The balance system is unique, ARC, I believe. The latest Capcom game that was released was Capcom vs. SNK 2. Though it has some flaws, the system is great and it's very well balanced for the number of characters it has. I love it a lot, but not too many play it. Third Strike is far more prevalent than CvS2.

But it has been a long while since a pure Street Fighter game has been released. Capcom has done an amazing job with the franchise and has polished each despite through many versions. In a sense, doing such a great job has also put pressure on them to make another excellent game. Fighting games are different from FPS ones as they can be still current as long as people are willing to play and compete which really is a wonderful thing. Replay value just skyrockets. People still play SFII: HF which proves that all you need are 8 characters and really good balance. Then again, MvC2 is also still popular and has 51 characters and not so great balance. It's all really a question of taste.

Personally, I think it's just extremely difficult to make a good fighter. Because of the relatively few elements to the game, each one has to be well thought through and designed to make each and every character equal. That's saying a lot.

Anyway, as for Street Fighter 4, we had a thread. But it got pushed way down. I think there are the original 8 characters and possibly 4 or 6 more? I use shoryuken.com for most of my updates. The new characters look... interesting. It's also in 2.5D rather than strictly 2D. I don't know if I like that or not. Also the use of polygons rather than sprites has me very on the fence. I think that sprites never go old. They create and retain a sort of style that is initially developed in the concept art. I play SFA2 and that looks fine to me even being well... 12 years old. :0

All that is important is that DAN will be playable in the console versions. That makes this game alright with me.

On that note, I'd like to say how smart it was of Capcom to include the entire SF2 cast into the game. Considering that it's THE Street Fighter game to alot of people, it's a great idea to help SFIV's popularity.

On that note, I'd like to say how smart it was of Capcom to include the entire SF2 cast into the game. Considering that it's THE Street Fighter game to alot of people, it's a great idea to help SFIV's popularity.

Definitely, though I wish they put Cammy in instead of Fei Long... Still hoping for that last minute appearance...

Definitely, though I wish they put Cammy in instead of Fei Long... Still hoping for that last minute appearance...

I'd be very surprised if they only had Fei Long and not the other 3 that were introduced in Super SFII, so your wish isn't that unlikely to happen, at least in my train of thought.

I'm still holding out for Sheng Long, personally.

You mean Gouken? Yeah, Shen Long was just a goof-up. Ryu and Ken's master is Gouken, brother(I think) of Gouki(Akuma), and yeah, it would be awesome as all hell if they were in there as well.

Apart from that, being that it IS Street Fighter II characters we're talking about, it wouldn't make sense for them to JUST add Fei Long. I'm sure they'll include Cammy and the others.

Dan is awesome, but if they add Sakura(I like her, sue me) as well, well I'll be a happy man indeed.

Clearly, the fighting game genre is slowly being phased out. There are some new titles here and there that are not completely embraced by the audience. Guilty Gear XX is extremely popular in some circles but not overall. The balance system is unique, ARC, I believe. The latest Capcom game that was released was Capcom vs. SNK 2. Though it has some flaws, the system is great and it's very well balanced for the number of characters it has. I love it a lot, but not too many play it. Third Strike is far more prevalent than CvS2.

I'm pretty positive that Capcom Fighting Allstars was their latest.

Also, I don't think just because fighting games have fallen out of the top tier in regard to gaming culture, that it's really floundering that badly. Melty Blood, Arcana Heart, Guilty Gear, Hokuto no Ken and King of Fighters are still very popular (at least in Japan) and their gameplay mechanic is eons beyond any SF game.

I think the return to simpler times for SF is alright. But I don't think that means jack to other 2D games.

Some of the "modernizations" of SF4 have me a tad concerned too... but after watching all of the interview videos, I'm confident that any departures from oldskool SF titles will be well designed and well though-out. I don't know that'll get me to ever stop playing SF2, but I'll probably still enjoy it. At the very least, that art looks awesome, and it'll be interesting to see all our favorite fighters in 3D.

their gameplay mechanic is eons beyond any SF game.

That's a bit of an over exaggeration. A lot of those games have taken their mechanics almost directly from SF, with some making slight alterations. They're different enough, sure. But not 'eons' beyond anything.

Looking forward to the new SF though. It's been over 10 years since SF3, so it's about time.

That's a bit of an over exaggeration. A lot of those games have taken their mechanics almost directly from SF, with some making slight alterations. They're different enough, sure. But not 'eons' beyond anything.

Looking forward to the new SF though. It's been over 10 years since SF3, so it's about time.

I def agree with that, and to me the alterations are more of a change than an improvement in most instances. I still haven't seen any fighting games which, taken in whole, can out-do the experience of 3rd strike. I really didn't even like many of the SF3 characters, but the gameplay and animation are phenomenal...

You mean Gouken? Yeah, Shen Long was just a goof-up. Ryu and Ken's master is Gouken, brother(I think) of Gouki(Akuma), and yeah, it would be awesome as all hell if they were in there as well.

Oh, I know all about that. Just stating my wishes that it would be cool to see Capcom acknowledge that awesome April Fool's joke.

I really have to disagree. Because SF games were just on a rut in their early SF2 days until SNK decided to go crazy and experiment a lot with a lot of features such as dashes, special/super cancels, super moves themselves, different types of bars (like the specific blocking/skill bars SNK games basically created) amongst others. Not to forget the insta-kill moves, the 'dust' moves that kicks up the enemy across the screen or far up the screen, altenate jumping types, etc etc.

SF games only started getting a hint with the Alpha series and basically peaked at 3rd Strike. SF3 did have its core gameplay down pat, but compared to something like Guilty Gears or the recent SNK fighters, there are simply less technical aspects to the fighting engine. Capcom games simply are frugal and oldschool nowadays. SF4 will further regress it, not that it's a bad thing. But I never thought of Capcom games as the forefront for fighters. I think Capcom stopped innovating a whole lot after SF3/Marvel vs Capcom days.