Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

atmuh

What.

You're a freak.

Everyone else loves this style of game and could play it forever. Sooooooo bleah.

I recently went on a Castlevania binge and played through Castlevania I, Castlevania III, Dracula X Chronicles, and Aria of Sorrow. I gotta say, I kind of miss the old linear levels. Which is an odd thing to "miss" considering the first Castlevania I ever played was Symphony of the Night. I liked Castlevania III and Dracula X Chronicles ability to do stage selects rather than constantly moving back and forth between areas after you find some new power up. But, Castlevania almost always has cool stages and good music, so whatever.

The old-school was fun, but it's just that: Old-school. Although I still love the hell out of the new remake for Rondo(hooray for switching stage BGMs), and like Arek said, the new games no matter how many they may churn out are like crack to me, I really would like to see IGA go in a new direction. Of course like I said before, his past 3d iterations weren't exactly the greatest ever even though I did think they were somewhat good, although with somewhat boring gameplay mechanics.

I'd like to see them really approach Castlevania in a real horror-type setting. I wanna see werewolves that make me shit my pants every time I'm unlucky enough to run into one. When I sea sahagins, I want to know that these guys will try to rip me to shreds and that I should fear them beyond all reason. I want the latest iteration of "The Creature" to not make me laugh at how easy he is to beat, but to freak me the fuck out when he's literally smashing through walls trying to get his deformed hands on my arm to rip it off my shoulder. I want to know that this is NOT the place I want to be right now.

The old-school was fun, but it's just that: Old-school. Although I still love the hell out of the new remake for Rondo(hooray for switching stage BGMs), and like Arek said, the new games no matter how many they may churn out are like crack to me, I really would like to see IGA go in a new direction. Of course like I said before, his past 3d iterations weren't exactly the greatest ever even though I did think they were somewhat good, although with somewhat boring gameplay mechanics.

I'd like to see them really approach Castlevania in a real horror-type setting. I wanna see werewolves that make me shit my pants every time I'm unlucky enough to run into one. When I sea sahagins, I want to know that these guys will try to rip me to shreds and that I should fear them beyond all reason. I want the latest iteration of "The Creature" to not make me laugh at how easy he is to beat, but to freak me the fuck out when he's literally smashing through walls trying to get his deformed hands on my arm to rip it off my shoulder. I want to know that this is NOT the place I want to be right now.

QFE by the power of 10...

I love the series regardless of how many there are. Played every single one, from the classic first Castlevania up to C:PoR & The Rondo remix. One of the few things that help keep them fresh for me had been doing personal challenges. Try just using the dagger on CV1 throughout the entire game with mininal enemy kills with the whip.

I do however would like those feelings of tension/horror and even some epic-ness be emphasized within future titles.

As mentioned earlier, the idea of these monsters being able to make you shit in your pants as you try to either kill or run to safety are greatly needed.

Only a few times that happened, in particularly in C:LoD, Frankie with his chainsaw chasing your ass throughout the hedgemaze with the god damn skullpillars, poisonous plants and Cerberus dogs slowing you down; along with knowing how fucking fast he can be if you're not careful.

Bosses with no obvious weakpoints or immunity to particular weapons. Weapons that can shatter upon prolonged, heavy use or even the possibility with the enemy being able to break them or simply deflect/parry against them. Sure the whip would normally be the be all end all weapon (in particularly for a Belmont) but some monsters in the Castlevania world ought to have some strong resistance to it...

In the end, this Castlevania will undoubtedly become another addition to my expansive collections. :)!!

I wish they never get rid of the Castletroid system, because it works. I still don't think most games achieved the level of exploration the way Circle of the Moon did. I actually put its exploratory aspects a bit higher than Symphony of the Night.

• 4 months later...

This one's gonna be Christmas for me. I am a huge Castlevania fan, but I really don't have the time to play it. I just got Dragon Quest IV last week, though I haven't played it yet.

On another note, does anyone know if Konami is releasing a soundtrack for this like they did with the last one?

I hope they don't do the PoR active swap thing again with that gun dude. The lead character looks to awesome to need a little helper/sidekick.

LOL WUT?

Who the hell is this Gun Dude you're referring too? Only one that I can think of is that guy in Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness where you first save him as a child and he grows up along with having a side mission to rescue children weilding nothing more than some armor, a short sword with a revolver as a projectile weapon... An awesome weapon in that game...

Johnathan needed Charlotte no matter what in PoR. :lol:

LOL WUT?

Who the hell is this Gun Dude you're referring too? Only one that I can think of is that guy in Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness where you first save him as a child and he grows up along with having a side mission to rescue children weilding nothing more than some armor, a short sword with a revolver as a projectile weapon... An awesome weapon in that game...

Johnathan needed Charlotte no matter what in PoR. :lol:

Watch the trailer, it's the guy that looks like Balthier.

Watch the trailer, it's the guy that looks like Balthier.

Oh that guy... I thought he was going to be some extra game play mode ala Julius/Ricter style where as playing Shanoa would be the main game; unless he's important in some other way, aside from story that is...

Also on the earlier post I thought he was referring to Castlevania: PoR :lol:

Oh that guy... I thought he was going to be some extra game play mode ala Julius/Ricter style where as playing Shanoa would be the main game; unless he's important in some other way, aside from story that is...

Also on the earlier post I thought he was referring to Castlevania: PoR :lol:

Yah, Albus.

Dunno what his role is yet. I won't be getting the game until tomorrow *sniff sniff*, and I'm trying to keep myself from getting too spoiled from going on any of the Castlevania forums.

This game is awesome.

Here's a quick lowdown, spoilertexted (just game mechanics; I didn't put any story in there):

==========

The Glyph system replaces souls and weapons.

Every time you attack, typically with a melee weapon glyph, but there are spell and ranged glyphs too, it drains some mana. Stop attacking and your mana will regen FAST. You have one glyph equipped to Y and one to X (and one of a different type mapped to R), and the cooldowns are not linked (so you attack faster doing Y X Y X then Y Y Y Y even if the same weapon is in both slots). Also, Shanoa has a very nice backdash. Definitely better than Soma's!

Hearts are stored numerically (think old castlevanias) and your up+Y (or up+X) attacks use them for criticals, but are much more elaborate than criticals in past games (say you're using a spear. The critical is a GIANT spear that hits 2 or 3 times for massive damage).

The crab boss - the one that goes "SHOOOAAAH!" -- NOT the first boss (which kind of looks like a crab) is *very* annoying. You get a nice surprise when you do the killing blow though.

You rescue villagers throughout the game, and the villagers give you quests - for example, bring the blacksmith some iron ore and plate armor gets added to the shop.

Also. The game is in STAGES, not one big castle.

Very cool game overall.

==========

I love the new combo system for left/right hands. IMO this is the first one that has a better control scheme and weapon system that SOTN. I'm sure I'm not far at all, and am loving the game.

And yes, Shanoa's backdash (you start with it, so no spoiler tags needed) is awesome -- anyone know if there's an item that increases distance or speed on it?