Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

atmuh

The lighthouse boss can be beaten without taking a single hit once you learn the pattern. But I'm coming into this straight from playing the recent Ys games on Nightmare difficulty, so I might have the fortune of being in a mental "super tough pattern-based boss fight" mode right now.

Just got this game, and wow you guys are right it got hard. And I love it, the other DS Castlemanias were too easy.

Took me three or four tries for the lighthouse boss. I basically won by drinking milk and spamming giant swords. Yay calcium.

Also, did that bosses music remind anyone else of a Pokemon game?

I'm doing all the bosses with no health items. It seems like while this game is harder in one sense, it's also easier in that it feels like it allows you to dodge EVERYTHING once you know what you're doing. Whereas some of the boss fights in previous games at times felt like they had a JRPG-style "let's wail on each other and occasionally heal" design philosophy.

I've heard that as well, but I think I've always taken at least one hit in all the fights, so I can't personally verify it. Taking no damage is definitely doable though, and seems to have been so much a part of the design philosophy of the boss fights that I have no trouble believing that they put in "No Hit" rewards.

In fact, I think it's easier to take no damage in OoE than it has been in other Castlevanias. The difference is that in the other ones, you took a lot less damage when you got hit.

Wow. I COMPLETELY forgot this game was coming. Between MM9, Portal, Saints Row 2, Fallout 3, Fable, perfecting Mario Galaxy... Too many games..

But in regards to the game's difficulty, maybe they finally heard the complaints that the game was only hard if you restricted yourself. Like with a knife. Actually, running through the game with a tiny knife wasn't too hard in most recent Castlevanias either..

Oddly enough in OoE, ur fucked if you just used the knife, as it's about as useful as me pissing on a huge golem hoping it would kill him...

OoE is actually a challenging game, and with that note...

FUCK YOU TINMAN FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of the most annoying monsters, tinman, for me at least tops it off, next to the cave troll...

Oddly enough in OoE, ur fucked if you just used the knife, as it's about as useful as me pissing on a huge golem hoping it would kill him...

OoE is actually a challenging game, and with that note...

FUCK YOU TINMAN FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of the most annoying monsters, tinman, for me at least tops it off, next to the cave troll...

QFE. Hate that goddamn tinman.

I'll be doing a NG+ on hard and going for everything soon. Should be fun.

Christ Bardic, never pegged you as one of us Castlevania faithful. =P

Well, you won't find me playing the next 3d game unless they change a lot of things. I tried the first of them (with Leon Belmont), and it was just barely passable. Didn't get around to playing the 2nd...was it better or worse?

Still, the 2d Castlevanias (along with Super Metroid) are probably my favorite style of game to play. :P

training room is kicking my arse. Though I probably should finish clearing out the castle first

Try really hard to finish the training room NOW -- the power you get will blow your mind. Everything can be done with just magnet and double jump (though super speed can help in a few jumps). It's not that bad anyway...there's one spot that seemed impossible to me, but if you double jump you can do it. One piece of advice below for that area in white text for you.

Bad ASCII art time!

_____xxxxxx| o

o

It's like, room 4 maybe? Anyway, o is a magnet attach point, and x's are spikes. Shoot out straight right and jump up at the end while holding down the magnet button -- you'll just barely catch onto it.

Bring all the potions you can buy for training room and even if you suck and get hit by fire 10 or so times, you can still beat it.

As I play a TON of platforming games (recently Mega Man 9) it wasn't too difficult. Just tedious at times with platforms out of sync such that you had to wait on one platform for the conditions for the next jump to be possible.

The game is good, I'm up to the last 15% of the last level, I decided to sidequest a bit, and I'm only missing a [something] for Tom, a gold ore, and a diamond, as far as I know. Dunno where to get both the diamond and [something] and the gold ore is hard to get... oh well.

I really love this system though, the magic is interesting, somewhat of a better way to do Soma if you ask me.

Well, you won't find me playing the next 3d game unless they change a lot of things. I tried the first of them (with Leon Belmont), and it was just barely passable. Didn't get around to playing the 2nd...was it better or worse?

I thought the second game was a bit better, but I liked the first one as well (I seem to be one of the few). I guess I'm just a huge fanboy.

Loving OoE. Happy they brought a little bit of challenge back to the series. I was getting sick of beating all the new Castlevania games without dying a SINGLE time. I actually got mad enough to punch stuff in my room a couple times, which tells me it's a real Castlevania game.

I just got to the castle, and wow they should do this kind of thing in more Castlevania's, keeping you out for half the game. This was probably the only Castlevania game in forever where it felt incredibly satisfying to come back to the castle. Like, 'hell yes'. You know?