Strange Popping Noises in FL 8

Well, ever since I installed FL 8, I'd get strange random popping noises and it's really annoying because it stays on the rendered mp3 too. It was not like this in FL 7.

-I adjusted my buffer size in the audio settings, no luck there. (set at 50)

-I opened old FL 7 projects, popping sounds are in them too.

-It's random, I can technically render 50 times, and there will be different instances of popping in each mp3. It's not severe, but very noticeable popping and it happens in areas that are high in pitch more often than low pitch areas. Does not seem to be linked to CPU usage, although I tend to hover around 60-80%.

-It happens in certain parts of the song more than others, but can still occur in any part of the song.

Anyone know how I can solve this issue? It really sucks because I did 80% of this song in FL 7, and the last few parts in FL 8 and I can't open it in FL 7 anymore.

hmm, that's awkward. you've tried changing buffer sizes as well and that's the first thing that came to my mind. the best way to confirm whether it's something wrong with the file itself or just your sequencer's settings is probably by sending that file to someone else to open. with my lack of knowledge of any sort of computer crud that's just my idea lol. someone intelligible should probably say something.

Well, the tricky thing is that:

A. No buffer range fixes the problem.

B. It affects every single .flp file I open that I made in the past.

C. I went back and opened old projects in FL 7, no problems, in FL 8, random pops.

D. I use Garritan Personal Orchestra, I opened songs without that and there was still occasional popping.

I made this song with FL 7, finished with FL 8.

I'm not sure if new FL 8 project files will cause popping noises, but any old project I open with FL 8 causes random popping.

The only effects that I have used are: Stereo Enhancer, Reverb, Multiband Compressors, Delay, and EQ

I am almost 90% sure it is not my project file, it may be some setting in FL 8 or even a rendering setting.

Supposedly when you render songs, the popping related to buffer sizes should disappear.

I have an mp3 link of the song, it's finished now, but with all the pops in the end I can't submit this.

http://files.filefront.com/Sacred+Flute+Final+Betamp3/;10443436;/fileinfo.html

The pop can be heard around 3:16-3:17, it happens a lot during the loud sections too, but it is hidden by sound so it is not as much of an issue. I did multiple renderings and some of them have no pops during the end, but they happen during other places in the piece. So worst case comes to worse, I am going to cut and paste multiple renderings until it is pop free and not use FL 8.

Although if someone can figure out a solution, it'd be really great!

I actually had a similar problem back when I did "Eastern Ice Fields". The wind FX (was a 3osc tied to an XY controller controlling some filters) always seemed to cause subtle unwanted pops etc. I just rendered the particular pattern to wav and deleted the channel. I have no idea why it did it, but it fixed it anyway. Maybe try that during the parts that pop.

The issue has nothing to do with the sound buffer though. Pops and clicks are normal when you're playing back in real time. If pops remain in the final render, it has nothing to do with the size of the buffer.

Try rendering the problem projects with ALL FX bypassed. Are there still pops? If not, enable FX one by one and rerender to see if it's a particular plugin that is causing problems. I also suggest bypassing all instruments/samples except a simple kick pattern as well.

Also, try rendering as 16-bit WAV instead and see if that changes anything.

You need to narrow down the problem and remove as many variables as possible.

What processor do you have, by the way? This could be a problem with SSE/SSE2.

Rendered without FX, still had issues.

Rendered as .wav, still had issues.

Now, I rendered the violin by itself... pops even more prominent than with the orchestra.

I reinstalled, problems persist.

System Specs:

Windows XP Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual, Core Processor 5200+

992 MHz, 2.00 GB of RAM

Sound Blaster Xi-Fi (Creative ASIO)

I listened to each channel individually, and I noticed that the Solo Violin causes the most pops, but this never happened in FL 7. I took the compressor off the violin and the pops diminished (not completely), but it was too quiet. I raised its volume again and pops came back. Pops are most prominent during high pitch, loud violin sections. The pops aren't frequent, in fact most of them require special attention to even hear, but I feel they affect the flow of my song.

But the piccolo section contradicts the above statement, it is a very quiet section and the pop is so noticeable it kills the song completely. The piccolo is somewhat high pitch, and usually the pops don't even show up when playing back, only during rendering. These pops occur randomly, not always in the same part of the song.

Now this really sucks because all these effects worked 100% bug free in FL 7 and FL 8 made my project file no longer compatible with FL 7. If someone could show me a way to open the file in FL 7 again, that could be a solution. There are no FL 8 unique modules used in the .flp, but I think just saving it under FL 8 made it unusable by FL 7.

After hours of FL forum hunting, I found out the answer.

FL 8 causes GPO to cause glitches, and the solution to this is installing the Kontakt 2 player for GPO. Kontakt 2 has something called "offline (bounce) mode" and apparently that feature allows GPO not to glitch in FL 8.

I knew it was not clipping, clipping has a distinct scratchy/fuzzy sound while my problem was more of a pop.

All the project files I have reviewed all have GPO used in them, which is why I thought everything was glitched. I opened a FL demo file and it was glitch free, so it had to be GPO. I have yet to do this, but I am sure it will fix the problem. I don't know if this only applies to GPO, but it might apply to all kontakt 1 players, so I guess it's good to know for future reference.

After this though, I'm really inclined to ditch GPO and buy EWQL Silver...

But anyways, thanks a lot everyone for suggestions and possible solutions! I am just glad this is over.

After this though, I'm really inclined to ditch GPO and buy EWQL Silver...

But anyways, thanks a lot everyone for suggestions and possible solutions! I am just glad this is over.

Get it at Guitar Center

http://gc.guitarcenter.com/rebates/pdf/eastwest_Quantum_063008.pdf

Buy 1 get 1 free

BUY any of the listed EASTWEST/QUANTUM LEAP products between 06/01/08 and 06/30/08 and get one of equal or lesser value free by filling out and mailing in this rebate form.

As far as I know, this is a GC only deal.

No, FL does clip. It runs at a higher resolution than normal CD audio, but if you drive the volume really hard, you will get clipping. You just have more headroom than in a WAV.

yes of course. Thanks for the clarification zircon. I see how my post was misleading.

Actually, I found a better solution to the one I just posted. Bounce mode didn't completely solve the problem, instead of random pops, I noticed random fuzz. Apparently with "Multithreaded generator processing" off, "Safe Overloads" off, and setting "Fixed Size buffers" on, the problem went away completely! So I can now welcome FL 8 woot.

I think the main thing to it was the "Multithreaded..." The other options lessened it, but it was disabling Multithreaded generator processing that removed it completely. So if you have any problems with GPO be sure to do that, or at least try it.