OCR00954 - Final Fantasy VI "Mode Serpent"

djpretzel

I've heard this since its initial concept stages and I have to say the end result is one of Quinn's best works. Great guitar work, and awesome strings. I love the huge reverb, it particularly lends itself well to piece. One has the feeling of being underwater. Very interesting ambiance. Great work. One of the best Final Fantasy VI mixes I've heard.

I like this for the most part. Very good sound quality and construction. But the fret noise kills it. It is waaaaay too loud and becomes annoying. If there was a mix that was exactly the same EXCEPT with the fret noise lowered by at least 6db I would enjoy it much more and wouldn't have anything bad to say at all.

That's exactly what I was gonna say. >_<

Great mix, but the fret noise is waaaay too loud and artificial sounding. Could we have a ReMastering? :)

Thanks for the listen, everyone....and thrice as much for enjoying it :)

Yeah, I'm in agreement that the fret noises are much too loud....but as it was my first stab at a guitar driven mix, I honestly didn't even notice how annoying it was until someone mentioned it....

I won't remaster this one, I don't think, but it'll be a good step in helping my next guitar mix be better. Once again, thanks to all who listened and commented. Makes the world mine for a few minutes....

~Quinn

Not the way I would've pictured the Serpent Trench music. Probably a bit too arranged for my tastes, or missing some of the core elements that made the song good in the first place (staccato hits with the echo, and some of the background strings). Don't get me wrong, this mix is still good and produced well, just not what I personally felt the music should sound like.

I like this for the most part. Very good sound quality and construction. But the fret noise kills it. It is waaaaay too loud and becomes annoying. If there was a mix that was exactly the same EXCEPT with the fret noise lowered by at least 6db I would enjoy it much more and wouldn't have anything bad to say at all.

That's exactly what I was gonna say. >_<

Great mix, but the fret noise is waaaay too loud and artificial sounding. Could we have a ReMastering? :)

ditto. I'd love to hear it remastered, Quinn, then again it would be a bit of a hassle to resubmit once a song's been posted officially. That's what the WIP area is for. Anyway, the experience from this piece should help make your next one just that much better.

I've never heard fret noises that loud on a live guitar. O_o

Well, I'm admittedly an amateur on guitar, and I'm not the greatest recording engineer, so....yes, of course, it was a real guitar! ^_^

~Quinn

Try moving the mic away from the neck...maybe closer to the sound hole? :)

fantastic fantastic. even by quinn's standards.

despite the new addition of the guitar, this is unmistakably quinn - utopian, futuristic... with a similar atmosphere to his previous mix 'mamabrain' - and with surprisingly few similarities to his previous (also excellent) serpent trench mix 'software escape.'

which is part of what makes this song so great - can you think of anyone who would describe the original serpent trench as 'futuristic utopian?' i doubt it. and very few people could manage such an about-face of genre without butchering the song. quinn has. quinn rules all over you. :P

but...unfortunately, he's fallen victim to one of his old problems. the FADE-OUT. now i don't inherently dislike a song simply because it fades out at the end, but like many of his other songs i've had this complaint about, the song fades out while it's still going, rather than just playing an outro loop. sure, it's basically just repeating itself at that point, and 3 minutes is a perfectly respectable length for the track, but the fade-out still irks me every time i listen, and it's the only particularly important thing that stops the song from being 'perfect' to me.

plus there are a few technical issues. the frets, for instance - they don't usually bother me, but if i put the volume up too loud they can become quite piercing. too much high-end, i guess. and the drums, while programmed very well, simply don't match up to everything else. all the other samples fit perfectly, but the percussion has a distinctly keyboardish quality. the rest of the song deserves better. but it really isn't a nagging problem, just something that could be improved.

and, quickly, a bit more individual praisery:

0:00 - short understated electro-soundfuckery intro = 8)

0:23 - HOW DO YOU DO THAT. adding a perfectly blended chorus to what used to be a dirge... i'm very impressed.

1:45 - very nice section; reminds me of tekken 2. the phasing on the guitar works very perfectly. strange how a 'guitar amateur' such as yourself can be responsible for the only guitar work in a vgmix that i've paid particular interest to, eh :wink:

ah yes. very nice song indeed. not my favourite quinnsong, but i have over fifty of them, not one of which do i not like, so that's hardly a criticism. :wink:

i'm becoming more and more convinced that quinn's name is a guarantor of quality. i hope i'm not alone.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, in my depressed state of mood lately this really brings it down. Heh, not saying this is bad, i absolutely love the song. The guitar and percussion is done exceptionally well. I'm not sure if I heard a flange in there, probably not. Anyways this song is amazing 9.5/10.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00954 - Final Fantasy VI "Mode Serpent"