how am I doing?

Hi, I've been having fun messing with Mad Tracker and various free VSTs and sound samples for a while now. I've got a bunch of random ideas for songs posted on youtube.com/user/stephenarnquist, nothing very well developed, but I'd appreciate any feedback.

Composing question.

I've been reading a bunch of stuff about music theory, but I'd like more specific information or advice about song construction. Does anyone know of a good book or online resource for that?

Instrument question.

Sometimes I'll hear an electronic instrument in a song that I really like and want to duplicate or at least approximate. It seems like a really powerful synth like Reason or Helix (I use Helix cuz I'm cheap) could make just about about any sound if you knew how to manipulate the sound waves, LFOs ASDRs etc. Does anyone know of a good book or online resource for that doing that? Thanks.

In terms of the music theory stuff, I don't know much in terms of which resources to look for because I learned (and I'm sure many others) learned through classes or private lessons. The basic thing I follow on is if the chord sounds nice use it but understandably there needs to be some background before that chord can even be constructed.

For learning how to tweak with sounds, I think zircon's guide here is quite a good explanation of the basics for tweaking envelopes and filters on oscillators. (The VST, Synth1, is also renowned for its simplicity and ability to create some pretty crazy sounds so IMO it'd be a good one to start with.)

Hope I could help a bit.

Composing question.

I've been reading a bunch of stuff about music theory, but I'd like more specific information or advice about song construction. Does anyone know of a good book or online resource for that?

Composing depends on the genre, really. There's a rather clearly defined set of - well, call it "ingredients" for pop music. When you're doing classical-like stuff, there's other rules and concepts - things like A, A', B (the theme, variation on a theme, different theme), counterpoint, call-response, and there's of course the orchestration which plays a big role.

Instrument question.

Sometimes I'll hear an electronic instrument in a song that I really like and want to duplicate or at least approximate. It seems like a really powerful synth like Reason or Helix (I use Helix cuz I'm cheap) could make just about about any sound if you knew how to manipulate the sound waves, LFOs ASDRs etc. Does anyone know of a good book or online resource for that doing that? Thanks.

The ultimate (and huge) guide for this is http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Start at the bottom, work your way up.

Yay madtracker!

But seriously, use more than two or three channels. A tracker song should at least look like this:

You've started down the right path though, and you've got a good ear for melody. You just need to work on using more channels, possibly find better samples somewhere [short of pirating.... maybe], and fill out your songs with at least drums and some bass

Thanks for the responses everyone, good info. Hmm... Renoise looks nice, I've been looking for a new tracker actually. Did you used to use Mad Tracker? Is there some way to convert my mt2 files into something I could use in another program like Renoise?

Well, I've made a few more songs since I switched to Renoise, so please check them out and let me know what you think, they're at youtube.com/user/stephenarnquist

I think I'm getting better, but I'm still frustrated when I try to move on to the "B" part of the song after the first part and a little variation. I keep making B parts that just sound like a completely different song :/

I have made another one see the light 8)

Hey! I think you're going in the right direction with something like "Undersea." You still have emptiness issues though, like you probably need a bass part, plus that high synth is kind of annoying.

Hmm... post your stuff in the WIP forums and I [and others] can probably give you more critiques for specific songs. For now, if you give me the .xrns file for Undersea I can take a look at it and show you what you can do with a piece like that. Whenever I get the time anyway, heh.

Also, if you have IRC, feel free to drop by #renoise on irc.esper.net. I'm an op there :) and there's a lot more people who can help you with Renoise-specific things.