Chrono Trigger & Zelda Remix & Medley

You're kidding... if the end product is the only thing that matters, you might as well not make any music, since you won't get anything out of the process.

No, that's not what I meant.

Nobody cares whether you put two weeks or two months into a song and had to do intensive research on Jazz chords to write the chorus. The song stands alone.

Uh, but didn't you post here in the first place looking for feedback? If it's not completely positive and worshipping the musical ground you walk on, where does the desire for feedback leave you room to complain?

Zircon's feedback.

Stop taking sentences out of context ;)

My favorite and among the very few remixes that I actually like on this site that are those of DrumUltima and HousetheGrate. ;)

Personal flair > bastardization

I'm flattered, but you realize I love "bastardizing" this music...? One of my favorite things to do is change up the chord progression. Hell, I have one mix in line for posting that sounds nothing like the original! Hopefully nobody will call me out on this! I'm pretty sure I changed up a bunch of stuff in moon rhapsody too, though not as liberally as I normally do...

You are really unaware of how little I care about your opinion, judge, moderator, fusion band member or not.

Dude, you need to calm down. I get feedback from judges I don't agree with ALL THE TIME. If you really think it's wrong, just say thanks, ignore it, and move on. The more defensive you get, the more I question your motives for posting in the wip forum in the first place. But feedback should be nothing but appreciated, getting picky with what you want to hear and what you don't is not that different from the homeless people in baltimore who ask for food, but get picky when you give them a bag of chips they don't like.

You are really unaware of how little I care about your opinion; judge, moderator, project director or not.

Your pretension leads me to stop your song mid play through. I have observed your wild and verbose threads and have held my tongue, but I hold no longer.

Andy gave you some harsh and valid criticism and you argue over it as though he's clueless as to what he's talking about.

Mate, in the future, I would advise you not to ask for criticism or feedback unless you are prepared to take it from everyone who offers it.

If this is your reaction to what zircon says, God help you if Snappleman shows up in this thread!

So, you're saying that because he said a few negative things about your song in a constructive way, you're going to ignore it? Zircon knows his shit, dude. Even if he wasn't judge, project coordinator, mod, all that, his feedback is still worth every word.

You don't even know the half of it, much less basing ignorant opinions with what you can try to infer from this thread.

Why does it matter who the feedback comes from? I would think that getting feedback from one of the very people who functions as quality control for OCR as a whole (which is no small task, believe me, I've been there myself) would be exactly what you're looking for.

Dude, you need to calm down. I get feedback from judges I don't agree with ALL THE TIME. If you really think it's wrong, just say thanks, ignore it, and move on. The more defensive you get, the more I question your motives for posting in the wip forum in the first place. But feedback should be nothing but appreciated, getting picky with what you want to hear and what you don't is not that different from the homeless people in baltimore who ask for food, but get picky when you give them a bag of chips they don't like.

Eh.. you're right. From the "Context" thread I started, it's pretty clear that Zircon clashes with me to the point where I can't respect his opinions. It's like a baroque purist trying to critique Miles Davis from an entirely classicist standpoint; the criticism isn't really applicable.

So Tweek, it's not so much that is was harsh (it really wasn't, Snappleman's critiqued my guitar playing before while sitting on his silver throne). I couldn't care less about that. I'M not pretentious enough to change a piece and try to argue that my interpretation is just as valid as the composer's.

Eh.. you're right. From the "Context" thread I started, it's pretty clear that Zircon clashes with me to the point where I can't respect his opinions. It's like a baroque purist trying to critique Miles Davis from an entirely classicist standpoint; the criticism isn't really applicable.

except he's not a baroque purist and you're not miles davis ;)

except he's not a baroque purist and you're not miles davis ;)

Yeah, hence the use of like. He thinks all interpretation is just as valid as the composer's and that understanding the composer's point of view in regards to the song is rather trivial in appreciating his music.. rofl.

I think it's essential.

This is digressing though.

You don't even know the half of it, much less trying to ignorantly form opinions with what you can try to infer from this thread.

right, just like everyone else. I formed my opinions the same way everyone else did. By reading this thread. I didn't see anything different than anyone else did. The same words are displayed on my screen, so why should my "ignorant opinion" be taken any less seriously than anyone else's? Just because they've said something about it before me?

He thinks all interpretation is just as valid as the composer's and that understanding the composer's point of view in regards to the song is rather trivial in appreciating his music.. rofl.

Well, if only you can interpret your music correctly... then what's the point of us listening to it and giving feedback? :P

Well, if only you can interpret your music correctly... then what's the point of us listening to it and giving feedback? :P

First off, forgive me for my harshness but it's stupid to try and interpret this piece when it's not even halfway complete.

Second, WiP isn't about interpreting the expression behind a song. A lot if not most of the stuff on here is already largely if not entirely composed, so WiP is to help with production. I'm lacking in drums, and DrumUltimA has extremely valid points to make (he might not like me calling him this) because his forte is in percussion. And after I fix that up and finish up the song, then we can get around to production. ;)

Yeah, hence the use of like. He thinks all interpretation is just as valid as the composer's and that understanding the composer's point of view in regards to the song is rather trivial in appreciating his music.. rofl.

I think it's essential.

This is digressing though.

It is digressing, considering my philosophical views on music have absolutely nothing to do with your drums lacking in energy. Given that other people have levied similar criticism on your work, you're merely choosing to ignore my feedback (which everybody but you appears to acknowledge as having some degree of value) because you don't like me. I was a lot like you when I came to this site as well, throwing a tantrum and scoffing anytime people had something negative to say about my crappy remixes. Then I grew up.

Have you noticed that your bad attitude, ENORMOUS ego and hostile responses have earned you contempt from virtually everyone in this thread? Setting aside every other factor involved, the way you present yourself is unbearably grating and pretentious. You've already been warned by a moderator other than me, and combined with the overwhelming amount of ill will you've managed to gather from the OCR community at large, you should be getting the hint by now that maybe you should rethink your behavior.

ok, so...ignore everything I've said so far. Starting over.

What do you guys think of the composition? Don't comment on the production because it's definitely not at that stage yet.
A lot if not most of the stuff on here is already largely if not entirely composed, so WiP is to help with production.

What exactly is it that you want?

First off, forgive me for my harshness but it's stupid to try and interpret this piece when it's not even halfway complete.

Second, WiP isn't about interpreting the expression behind a song. A lot if not most of the stuff on here is already largely if not entirely composed, so WiP is to help with production. I'm lacking in drums, and DrumUltimA has extremely valid points to make (he might not like me calling him this) because his forte is in percussion. And after I fix that up and finish up the song, then we can get around to production. ;)

alright man, i'll give you my advice:

what you've got written is good. I think the beats you've got work very well, you have a good feel for tension and release, and I know you're not totally comfortable with fills but what you showed me was exactly the right idea. What you need to do with the drums now is all in the production stage--mixing the levels of each drum, eqing each drum (snare, kick, toms, hats, cymbals, etc), and using compression to make the drums more dynamic. This will give your drums the "energy" that they are lacking now. Good mixing of percussion can make or break a track. Your sequencing is solid, any advice I give would be redundant.

Unfortunately, I'm not very good with this stuff. I recommend you do what I did, and go to zircon, who knows infinitely more about the production values of percussion than I do. I don't consider anything I do finished until I run it by him first, and I've never left him without learning something. I just hope you haven't completely burned that bridge yet.

Well, given your analogy, Andy, he could be a judge in a few years.

Guys, let's all chill and just stick to critiquing the mix, not the artist's reaction to the feedback. If he doesn't want to work with your criticism, that's his prerogative. I don't think any amount of browbeating is going to force him to better acknowledge your criticisms, plus it should be up to him whether or not to consider them.

So Tweek, it's not so much that is was harsh (it really wasn't, Snappleman's critiqued my guitar playing before while sitting on his silver throne). I couldn't care less about that. I'M not pretentious enough to change a piece and try to argue that my interpretation is just as valid as the composer's.

Your interpretation is your interpretation. Sometimes it can be better than the original. Nobody said it has to be the same or similar as the original composers - it's about making the song you make your own.