OCR00955 - Wild Arms "Rosetta Refrain"

djpretzel

Wow. From the very start I was impressed. I didn't think I was going to be impressed anymore...then the flute came in. OMFG! It sounds great! This remix is top notch, and I love the original music as well. Let me tell you, you didn't kill the original at all. You've improved it 20 times over. The beat is clear and kicking, the lead rules, The harmonization for the lead kicks even more AZZ, The piano breaks are done well. What else can I say? This is really good. Keep it up!

-Gman

Yea, this mix is hot! I like the way it changes into the piano and back again. Very nice! Hot beat, makes me wanna go to the island and mess with some jamaican women lol. But overall, very well put together piece. Oh, and nice ending. I see you chose not to fade out. Niiiiiice! I don't think there will be any complaints about that at all. "Anyone that hates on this will be shot as Dawn". Hot Shizzle kid. Keep it up!

I never played Wild Arms, so I never heard this theme in its original form. Regardless, it's hard to imagine the original could be any better. I'm usually not a big fan of this style or music, but there are a select few I choose to keep on my playlist. This one reminds of a certain 'Endless Journey' ReMix, but I can't recall the artist or the game that's from. Anyway, you did a nice job, Marc.

Being an avid worshipper of the first Wild Arm's game, I'd say you've done what most haven't been able to do, and that is to capture the flavour of the actual town in the game. I remember Rosetta being a bustling trade city, and definitely, this beat suits it very well. Excellent work, and thank you for the references to the Wild Arm's main theme, just for wonderfully nostalgic feelings. And very good harmonizing, especially evident at (I know it's the same harmonization riff, but it's especially clear here and achieves a hell of a great effect for a short percussion pause) and slightly beyond 1.39. The flute solos were absolutely incredible (as well as the piano solos), and the only dig at this song I have would be that it might not really stand the test of time, with the beat being only a little repetitive. But I do find that the shortness of the tune makes up for it. Don't shoot me for this opinion, but I feel that some good songs have to end fast, due to the difficulty of retaining the listener's interest with a very preppy/pop-ish beat. Overall, this is still a VERY good mix.

Thumbs up for Marc Star. 8)

8/10

Oh...the overall beat that I hear here...IS WONDERFUL! This is a great Mix, with its theme and tune...Its the kind of music that makes me want to go and play the game (I never even heard of the game until I hit this site about a year and some months ago). You just gotta love it!

And though it may be lacking in the department of length, the ending of the ReMix is....uh..."broken" off, meaning it stops rather suddenly, which is a good thing here, for not only does it sound like the only correct way to end it, but it goes along great when you set your [music] player to 'repeat'. It ends, starts back up, ends, starts back up, and so forth, with a nice, short distance between replays. So basically, that seems to go along pretty good. In my opinion.

All in all, this is a TERRIFIC REMIX! Flaws only hide in length, but when set to repeat, the flaw is gone. It depends on how you play it.

MY SCORE-- 9.1/10

FREAKISHLY FANTASTIC! You should love it. Cherish it.

ive never heard the original music but i like this music a lot. Very nice pace and the cross between its original theme and the occasional softening of the music gives it some variance in the song such as 1.01 it changes the musics tone dramtically while still retaining the oringinal concept when it switches back to normal at 1.41... if i was to vision a place to match the mood of this song it would be in a dessert near an oasis with a small livly town having a huge party. very peaceful until you get to the heart where it is festive.

This song is great. I could even tell that before I downloaded it. The first thing I did was save it to my harddrive and burn it to a CD as it was from Wildarms, which has a great western beat in nearly all of their songs. Then, when I finally did listen to this, I was amazed at the style. It stunned me, even though I probobly could have anticipated something like this, from Dj Pretzils review, being pop-like, but yet, it still retains its western style music.

I would recommend this to anyone, unless they only enjoy loud, somewhat obnoxious songs. The instruments used in this song all work together, and never fall of beet to eachother, and follow perfectly in their predissors footsteps. Way to go on this peice.

• 3 months later...

I've never played Wild Arms before and listening to this just makes me want to find a copy! The beat just grooves along, the instrumental solos are sweet and every instrument just meshes so well together. Hearing this song always makes me very happy!!! The shortness of it is a bummer but this is a damn good ReMix!!!

• 6 months later...

Well, here is a great example of an amazing quality song that is under 3 minutes. Some people have mentioned it could have been longer. I absolutely disagree. In my opinion it seems longer than it really is for many things happen within it's time span that work so well (this trait seems to be apparent with many Marc Star remixs). Details: the beat is wonderfully catchy, and i love how the bass is in synch with the kick. The background guitar has a smooth pattern that fits well. The piece has the perfect amount of variation, and flows smoothly from each section. The piano breaks are nice, and planned well. The melody is astounding, with beatiful flutish sounds (what exactly are they). Harmonies are great. This whole piece is wonderful, i dont know how many times ive listened to it. Great work Marc, after listening to your four mixes, im begging for more.

~Nathan

• 3 months later...

At first, I was a bit worried -- I'm a big fan of the Wild Arms soundtrack (my first homemade MP3 was the Title soundtrack recorded from an actual Playstation), and there are a lot of subtleties that might get lost in translation. It's an atmosphere game, and if not done right a remix could be disconcerting.

I didn't catch the hook right away -- the baseline is nice and clean, but it wasn't enough to catch my attention. Then the piano began, and lead into the flutes which stayed true to the original, and was a nice change but didn't really excite me.

Then, at 1:02, the bottom drops out. The heavy baseline dissapears, and the piano comes back in to pick up the melody, with the baseline popping in and out until 1:36, when the Flute kicks back in and ties the whole thing together.

Sometimes a remix is like a good book that only gets interesting midway. Then, after you've decided it rocks, you re-read it only to find in the beginning all these subtle hints and touches you just glossed over when you hadn't decided to really pay attention.

Definately a new entry in my rotation. I'm sure there's more details I'll pick up on the 10th, 50th, 100th listen.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As a big fan of Marc Star, I wanna say this piece is truly amazing. Definately kept true to the original song. Although the original lasted for 3:22 minutes. This shortened remix isn't half bad. MARC! If you really do hear your fans and read the replies, I have a request to ask of you. When you find the time and consideration to do so... PLEASE REMIX THIS SONG since it's also from Wild Arms.

It's called Town of the Winds.

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/wa2~1.mid

Use your genious and cook something HOT for us bro.

If you DO somehow by miracles come up with something good for this. I'd much appreciate it!!

Let's ADD MORE TO THE WILDARMS OCREMIXES!

• 4 weeks later...

I was just listening to the original, and comparing it to this song. While the Marc Star didn't radically alter the melody, the change in rhythm and instrumentation give this ReMix a different feel from the original. While the original song had a folksy frontier feel, Marc took a more urban and focused approach. The most notable change is with the percussion, which switched from a tambourine-centered affair to a groovy, energetic beat (+bongos). Definitely changes the mood and flow of the song. Excellent work.

• 2 years later...

Killer rhythm changeup, that beat is hot! I was expecting great things, but then the super thin piano sample came in, and I got a little concerned. Once the flute takes over, though, it's much better, and at the level of execution it should be. The piano works as sprinkled effect, but that first introduction was a bit rough and exposed.

Short, but just perfect for looping. It's a really nice track, and with the exception of the somewhat jarring piano introduction, it's held up well. :-)

• 1 month later...

This song has been on top of my playlist for almost 5 years now and...

wait a minute, I wasn't even aware of OCR existence until one month ago, wtf am I saying? :mrgreen:

Anyway, I must have meant this remix will still be in my playlist 5 years from now,

as it made me bounce on my chair like crazy ...for 2minutes and 31 seconds.

Er, wait a second: is it really that short? So, I guess that is the main problem here.

Because on the other hand, this mix doesn't fall short of groove to say the least!

And that bright, 'lean back and relax' atmosphere is most enjoyable.

Michiko Naruke's work on WildArms soundtrack is some of my favorite ever.

And Marc Star hasn't failed to give a righteous tribute to the source.

The drum pattern + light guitar & piano + groovy bassline combo was already good.

But when the main melody kicked in with the flute, I was sold.

Also liked the small parts where it gets more calm and the piano takes the lead.

Totally luved it!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00955 - Wild Arms "Rosetta Refrain"