OCR00956 - Final Fantasy VII "Cid Sends a Dream to the Undersea Palace"

djpretzel

Dude. NICE. I like this a lot. The beginning is quality and arranged very well in my uneducated opinion. I really like the use of the french horn (used to play some horn myself :)), but it's kinda quiet I think. It gets a bit drowned out by the other instruments. Ok so the beginning is nice, but it's not my favorite style ;)

Then I hear those pads! Man! I REALLY like those pads! This is going in a more electronic direction (my favorite!). You've got the pad going, some synthy arpeggios, but still the very organic/traditional cellos going and I love that. Then the cruched up drums pop in and I'm loving the groove going here. This is my favorite part of the song.

The song gets a bunch more trancy now. I like the drums. They sound trancy, but they don't stick to the booooooooooring generic trance pattern that I hear a lot around here.

This mix seems like it should be like 12 minutes long instead of 6. I would have loved more development in the techno section and the trance section. Especially the trance section. It sounded like it was just getting started and then the end of the song came around. The orchestral ending kinda came out of nowhere. It was good, but there was hardly any transition into it, so it felt a little tacked on.

Very cool! Quality! Interesting!

I really liked that remix by SS - great work incorporating the Undersea Palace theme (a fav to begin with) into the mix! I'd like to see more remixes like that. I'd also like to see a remix done of the Vanilla Dome theme in Super Mario World - somebody should add a nice groove to that song. Just a thought.

smbadvance2_screen008.jpg

...:: ZeaL ..::.

Great remix!

I'm no big fan of the Cid theme. It's a bit too epic for me. It almost gets parodical. And therefore, I don't really dig the long orchestral intro too much. But when it gets into that electronic groove somewhere around 3:30 I just love it. Had it all been done in this cool style it had been more my cup of tea. The trance beat is a bit boring though.

Ah well.... even if I don't like the orchestral parts as much, they're still very well done. And I like the hybrid idea. I would have liked some more electronical touches in the beginning of the song.

And I agree with SuperGreenX... the trance part does need a little more time to evolve.

Hah... I only took up my negative thoughts here. I hope you don't get me wrong, because like I said, I DO like the remix. It's great.

I like the chrono trigger one better though...

Smooth mix. Me likey. You always know a mix is good when it incorporates FFVII and CT music together. :)

Don'tcha hate it when someone steals what you were about to say? *pouts*

Seriously, though, I like this one a lot. :) FF7 and CT's soundtracks were made for this kind of thing.

Smooth mix. Me likey. You always know a mix is good when it incorporates FFVII and CT music together. :)

FF6 > FF7 & CT :P. Sorry, had to comment on that since people seem to give those games more credit than FF6 :(.

Edit: Since Rexmaster PMed me, I'll give a more justified post. The purpose of that was not only to display another view, but to show the obsurdity of the other post in a subtle way, since that person put something in besides the purpose of a review (I intended to give a review, but not at that moment because I was kinda busy - I didn't get to listen to the song at that point). True, I am party to the same silliness through the unedited post, but I hoped through my (intentional) mistake that that point would be gotten across...(and for the record, I appreciate FF7 and CT too, but people seem zombified by those soundtracks, not to mention the games in general, that they only confine their musical preferences...)

Anyway, this is an interesting remix, mixing some marching elements, with techno and orchestral. My biggest complaint is the string instrument samples, while flowing nicely in their own way, I'd prefer live instruments :P. So I'm a big fan of string instruments, shoot me (I like it more than the overplayed guitar oftentimes). Despite this thought that maybe live string instruments would make it nicer (well, the advantage of the certain sample is that the instrument transition a little later appears almost unnoticed), I'd have to say it's a good remix.

Oh, and around the more technoish area of the remix, something just seems a little weak in the mood setting. It might be because of the background drums, but the low volume level was ideal for the smooth transition to the ending, which fit the overall mood of the piece. Tough call though, since changing that would mean changing the whole interpretation.

seems like the majority of this song is from Chrono Trigger, so why is it a ff mix?

So far I don't hear anything that sounds like Chrono Trigger.. It's all Cid's theme from FF7.

Edit: Nevermind, I tend to comment too soon then I realize how horribly wrong I was. :lol:

I never really liked Cid as a character in FFVII until he gave his speech about the importance of science. That made him automatically one of the coolest VG characters ever.

On the other hand, I always loved Cid's theme song, and I hoped Russell Cox or someone would do an orchestral ReMix. Everything up until about 1:45 was pure gold - everything I had hoped for. The shift into the palace theme was nice, but then there was the techno/trance section, which unfortunately made up a good portion of the ReMix. To me, all techno/trance 'music' sounds grating and generic. I know some people appreciate the style, and I respect that, but it's all the same to me. Otherwise, this was a great ReMix: it reminds me of the first 49 enjoyable seconds of Temporal Distortion.

The ominous fell of the beginning is great, and it only get built upon with the addition of extra instruments. The transition to the techno section was superb, because you had the orchestral part lingering for a while as it got replaced by the more modern instruments. However, as this section builds toward the end, it seems to abruptly end. Actually for me, this was a bit of a relief as it had fallen into a boring pattern, and the ending is phenomenal. However, if you could have built up the trance a little more before ending, the song would have had some more flare I think. On the whole however, this is a pretty good mix.

I don't think anyone would have minded it being longer. Were you restricting yourself to a 6 min timeframe(Or was that restriction foced opon you)?

Seriously, I really think it could have benifited by having more time to grow. I didn't find anything really wrong except for it's time, the trance section seemed to just get going when it stopped. Now this was a cool way to end it, it just made me really wish for more.

I don't think anyone would have minded it being longer. Were you restricting yourself to a 6 min timeframe(Or was that restriction foced opon you)?

Seriously, I really think it could have benifited by having more time to grow. I didn't find anything really wrong except for it's time, the trance section seemed to just get going when it stopped. Now this was a cool way to end it, it just made me really wish for more.

Well, the song has to be under 6 megs, and If i had started anymore development, I would have butted up against the limit. as it stands its 5.7 megs at 128kps. Personally, I dont like putting anything out unless its at least 160. I used to not be able to even tell the difference. But when you listen to the song 100000 times in wav format and then encode it you can hear every detail :D

Anyway, hope that answered your question.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00956 - Final Fantasy VII "Cid Sends a Dream to the Undersea Palace"