Musical Backgrounds

Chiwalker

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking / being forced to think about college decisions. I was considering tech schools as one option, more specifically schools strong in music and music engineering / tech.

ANYWAY...

I was just curious about the musical backgrounds of all the other fans / remixers on this site (it seems everyone has at least some musical background.)

Whether it's: I played piano since I was three months old.

or: I studied music in college for 10 years and became rich and famous.

Feel free to brag.

My story: High School; regrets to have discovered his passion for music at such late an age; drums 5+ years; piano ~1 year.

I have no real training, because I have no real motivation. I'd like to learn an instrument, but as it stands I've got

Male Vocals: Baritone 1 year

Piano: 6 months (yes, months)

I can read sheet music (slowly and poorly), and I can sing (poorly). But I'm going to get back into it one day. By the time I'm 30 I swear I'll be able to play the piano competently.

My advice as a music grad: do not go into music unless you're serious about getting a career in music, and even then consider if the degree would actually help you get where you want to be.

You do not need a degree in music to do anything, really, you just need to be a good musician with good connections. Some things you can only learn from studying at a high level. Some things you can learn in your free time. It's all about commitment and dedication.

If we can feel free to brag, ima take this way back

Grandfather on dad's side: violinist, music teacher

grandmother on dad's side: harpist, pianist, music teacher

aunt on dad's side: music teacher, pianist, solfege expert (graduated from oberlin)

Father: tuba player, music teacher. Graduated with MM from yale

Mother: violist and violinist, music teacher. Graduated with MM from yale (GUESS WHERE MY PARENTS MET)

ME: Percussion/drum set for about 11 years, piano for 6 or so, largely self taught jazz improv starting in high school (so for about 7 years), became serious about classical percussion when I entered college (so 3 years) started "remixing" summer after my freshman year of college (so about 2 years), music teacher. Dabble in singing all my life.

Tendonitis-started in november, so 7 months of NOT being able to play much/enough.

So I guess that's my musical background. Music's run through my family so I don't know if I would've pursued it if it wasn't for them. I've always been told that I'm talented, but the difference between being talented and being a good player is huge. I'm hoping to get into Yale and follow my parents footsteps, but with this tendonitis who knows what'll happen :[

Started playing bass when I was 13. Thats like... eleven years ago. Few years after grabbing the bass I started to make music.

Bass is still the main instrument but I've picked up some others along the way to help with the musicmaking; guitar and keyboards basically. Completely selftaught, never even considered takig lessons. I can't read sheet music and I REALLY dislike tabulatures.

I play something every day. And it just keeps getting more enjoyable year after year. Oh yeah..

I just graduated with my bachelor's in music, and am going onward to grad school in music composition. I knew I didn't want to teach at the high school level, but I can totally see myself as a music theory professor someday -- hopefully I get there.

As far as lessons goes, I've had 10 years piano, 1 year of cello, but am primarily a vocalist. I also play tenor recorder, but the venues for that are few and far between.

Cliff Notes version of my music background:

Vocals - 14 yrs mostly self taught

Piano - 8 yrs mostly self taught

Percussion - 11 yrs mostly self taught

Flute - 9 yrs (2 yrs of class)

Euphonium - 9 yrs

Tuba - 6 yrs

Composition- 4 yrs

Wow, to talk about my music background is to almost tell my life story! But here goes (apologizes for the length in advance).

My great aunt (who I've had to live with) was an opera singer and a music teacher, so I've been dabbling in singing of and on for as long as I can remember. I had three years of chorus (2nd,3rd,and 4th grade), then only sung as a hobby since I picked up the flute in 5th grade. Also was taught how to play bongos in fifth grade.

Played flute for 2 years until 7th grade and picked up the Baritone horn (also known as the Euphonium, or mini-tuba). I've been playing the Baritone up until 3 years ago when I dropped out of college and went on a journey of self discovery.

In summer of seventh grade, I won the SoCal Philharmonic Scholarship to attend band camp in the San Bernando Mts. There I saw an amazing piano player which inspired me to learn piano in eigth grade. Mostly self taught with the guidence of my grandma, who was living with me at the time and was a professional piano player. Been playing piano ever since up until 3 yrs ago.

In 11th grade, my teacher need a Souzaphone player for marching band (I was on Euphonium) and also a tuba player for the regular band (I was in the high level ensemble class with all the other people who got private lessons). So, I learned tuba, which is different from Euphonium (fingerings are the same, but all the breathing and mouth positions and tongue techniques are different). I've been playing the tuba ever since up until 3 yrs ago.

For junior and senior year in high school probably a third of my classes were band and that's not including the marching band (tuba), the pep band (tuba and baritone), and the jazz ensemble (baritone), and all the other little music things I did on the side.

I first started to experiment with music composition my junior year in high school and studied it up until my 3 year sabbatical.

Went to MWC (now UMW) to double major in music and business. Was five classes from a bachelor in music when I ran out of money and dropped out. In that time, I did have a band class for both the tuba and the euphonium and took skill and development classes which was primarily a vocal class with some piano.

I've only had true private lessons on the Baritone horn and those started my sophmore year in college (and ended in my junior).

Starting this year I've renew my focus on making music a part of my life again, so I'm rusty all around.

Interesting story as to how this all worked out.

My first experience must have been piano lessons when I was small. But as the story goes I wasn't interested, and as the story goes I've come to regret that later. I did take up the drums informally in late elementary school/early middle, but didn't do much with it til high school.

Now one thing I did do from a young age was act. Technically I sung in Essex Youth productions when I was very tiny, and then I spoke sang my lines in "How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying" in eighth grade (I was Womper/the book voice). But it wasn't until 9th grade, when I was in Gypsy, that I started to think about singing. I also started taking drum lessons that year. The next year in 10th grade I continued my drum lessons and sang in chorus and Carousel, that year's musical. I actualy got pretty good by the end of the year, and I got to play drums alongside our director for the women's chorus.

That summer I headed off to music camp, where I learned all about toned percussion. I got to play in band and orchestra, neither of which my high school had. I enjoyed myself, though I didn't care for the social environment.

My music skills were put to the test in 11th grade with Les Miserables, Chorus and Music Theory. I didn't end up doing that well in Music Theory because I hadn't had enough prior experience with playing an instrument, but I had fun and learned a lot. That year, a person at our school debuted the "Between the Lines Rock Concert." Between the Lines is the name of our school newspaper, and the concert is to raise money. I hopped on board, and I got together with other musical people to play covers of popular rock songs. We had two of them this year. I returned to the music camp the following summer.

12th grade was more of the same: the musical (A Little Night Music), chorus, Music Theory Composition (similar story to Music Theory I) and the rock concerts. So all in all I was pretty musical. And then I got to college.

My first semester was a complete mess. I didn't join chorus, but took piano lesssons my first semester. But because I could never schedule i practice time I didn't do so well. But it was this semester that I did meet Jon (q-pa), who began to give me the idea of music and technology.

My grades were so horrible my first semester that my parents convinced me to go to a different college for a semester. It was horrible and I hated it. The only thing that kept me sane was the music recording and editing class, which really helped me to solidify my talent and interest for digital music. I stated to get into OCR at this point.

Sophomore year witnessed a sharper decline. I sang in chorus for that fall but didn't like it (missing all the social aspects from high school chorus). The following semester was almost nothing, with the exception of The Rocky Horror Show. This past year I've really ramped up the whole audio and technology thing, and now that my finances and the technology are where I need them to be, I think I'm about ready to reinvent myself musically. I guess I'll start by remixing.

Hmm, well I've always loved music. Listened to it all the time as a little kid, and I was alway playing around on either my family's old Yamaha...I wanna say it was a TSR7? No idea, heh. And then of course my aunt's DX7 too.

When I was 8 years old, my parents had me start taking violin lessons...I hated 'em, but they definitely gave me a great ear-training foundation. Actually, too good of an ear-training foundation since I never sight-read music. Which in turn has hurt my piano playing (started at age 13) a lot. I quit violin at 13 years old to focus on piano lessons, and informally on drums. [channels Yoda] Self-taught on drums I am! [/channels Yoda]

I found computer-based mixing when I was 15, when my piano teacher showed me Acid Music Studio 6. Signed up for ACIDplanet.com, and found out about FL Studio, and I've basically gone from there. Especially with the help of Computer Music Magazine for a little while, and now I'm 17 years old and a month away from starting audio engineering school at the Conservatory for Recording Arts and Sciences here in Arizona.

OCR has really helped my evolution as a producer, since there are so many diverse genres represented here! I think I first found out about OCR via an interview with Binster in...I wanna say CM? Dunno.

Anyways there ya go.

*sighs*

Suppose I should post this, not that it probably matters. I don't play any more anyway, but here we go:

Piano - 11 years (though I should probably say 10; my first teacher sucked but that only lasted for a year; others were infinitely more competent)

Saxophone - 8 years (+ taught; classical and jazz)

Clarient - 4 years (self taught, but natural derivation of the former; easy peasy)

Harpsichord - here and there for 4 years; some taught, some not; I also understand the style, though enough people don't

(listen to that one Tetris remix for an example of how NOT to play a harpsichord; it sounds cool, but it's completely wrong)

Carillon - off and on; remarkably fun and amusing to hear; playing VG tunes that a whole campus hears from, like, a mile around is awesome :mrgreen:

Organ - here and there for several years; also great fun; and yes, I know how to foot pedal right >_>

I've always thought that music is a hell of a lot of fun and that's the only reason for me to play it really. Jazz combos are awesome. I've also had about 5-6 years of jazz theory (in addition to 10 years general music theory) from various sources. Nice but often useless for me since I don't really play anymore (not for any audience at the very least; that's for sure).

Also a hoot are jazz band competitions. Didn't do great in middle school, but in high school my class won our state division 3 years running. Great fun despite the stupid monkey suites. That high school jazz band (incl. me) also did a fair bit of big band gigs for various functions (school, graduations, etc... even a paid hotel gig once; fun). Can't beat some good ol' jazz. Well... I suppose you could, but where's the fun in that. ^_^ My favorite overall tunes we played in competition were City, Spain, and Times Square. Great tunes!

Got a few awards, not that I really feel I ever really deserved, but eh... at least it's something to take me back on occasion. I only went to state for IMTA auditions once (piano), but unfortunately got clobbered there (I actually heard that some of the judges favored certain styles, etc. over others, but that could've been just a rumor). And no, I'm not going to list any "real" awards here either, simply because I don't like doing that sort of thing.

Actually, I distinctly remember that high school jazz band getting a short local newspaper article once. Just an interesting tidbit I thought I'd throw out there.

[edit]

Oh! Favorite pieces to play (piano), in no particular order:

Johannes Brahms - Six Pieces for Piano: No.2 Intermezzo in A: Andante Teneramente

Claude Debussy - Suite Bergamasque (entire)

Claude Debussy - The Girl with the Flaxen Hair

Eugenie Rocherolle - Souvenirs du Chateau: Le Salon de Musique

George Gershiwin - Prelude for Piano: I. Allegro Ben Ritmato e Deciso

Frederic Chopin - Prelude in Eb minor

Francis Poulenc - Novelette in C Major

Johann Sebastian Bach - Prelude & Fugue (BWV 847)

(and if anyone suggests Sergei Rachmaninoff's Prelude in G minor, they should have their teeth knocked out for excessive cruelty; I hated memorizing that whole darn thing)

PS If I remember anything else later, I'll make sure to tack it on, though that probably won't be necessary....

Haha.. are we posting to satiate Chiwalker's genuine interest or to brag..

For me,

Violin: 5 years then quit

Trombone: 5 years then quit

Piano: 2 years

Guitar: 4 years

Bass: I don't have one so I can't really assign a number here, but I can play one

due to some people's posts I feel like I can get away with saying this

Recorder

Tambourine

Guiro

Maracas

Vibraphone

Xylophone

Harpsichord

Acoustic Guitar (rofl)

Classical Guitar

etc. etc.

If we can feel free to brag, ima take this way back

Dude at the very least MomUltimA freakin owns and takes names

http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01524/

I had piano lessons from the ages of 7 to 18: once a week, 45-60 minutes long (shorter when I was younger.) I wasn't interested in music as a career until junior year of high school or so, which was roughly when I began actually trying to do remixes and make my own music. However, I enjoyed (and still enjoy) playing the piano very much. I loved figuring out things by ear and playing them, particularly themes from movies and games that I liked. However, I primarily studied baroque, classical, and romantic-era music with a little bit of jazz & showtunes.

Towards the end of high school I started trying to learn more about music theory, but it's only since I got to college (Drexel U) that I REALLY expanded my sort of "musical infastructure". Three terms of music theory, a term of jazz theory, Songwriting, modern arrangement techniques, three terms of ear training, and continued lessons (albeit less frequent, and with less practicing on my part.) I've greatly expanded my knowledge of music, composition, and improvisation, though I'm still a novice in the grand scheme of things.

Instruments and musical approach:

I play acoustic and electric guitar, bass guitar, and I do some singing. I'm more of an inventive player, and I love to improvise. I quit reading music and learned to "play by ear" at an early age. However, I am familiar the notes and scales I am playing, and I think music theory is very important. I also have a low, cigarette-inspired voice that is well-suited for blues, folk, country, and other 'earthy' musical styles.

My philosophy is that music should be viewed as both a science and a religion. The techinical and spiritual sides of music should always be regarded highly when writing and performing music. I've played at shows (which I only do about 9 or 10 times a year now) when we had the worst sound ever and were half drunk, but the environment and energy were so great that the show just ended up being awesome. I also think that noone should be super-technical unless it works with the song.. If the song calls for technicality, it should be done, but technicality for its own sake usually sounds empty and lacks emotional "oomph". I believe in doing more with less.

Current works:

I've played with the same band off and on for more than ten years. I'm the one responsible for starting out the songs, and I also write songs for myself. Some are satirical, others are serious, and some are both. In terms of the band, the singer does most of the lyrics, but I sing my solo stuff and sometimes take the mic for a few songs (my singer is a much more versatile vocalist). My band has had an album in queue with our producer for almost two years, we just need to get a damn appointment so we can finish it (we've also released two records in the past). In the meantime, I've written a solo E.P. It contains six songs with two acoustic guitars, and one of the songs is an instrumental. I'm going to record it in three days with $300 dollars (at a much simpler studio), and I'll also be doing the artwork myself. It's a folk E.P. with blues, rock, punk, country, and classical influence. I have been practicing each song and arranging the songs so that they can still be performed respectfully with just one guitar. I plan on selling it cheap and I also want to take some of the proceeds and donate them to charity. I will sell them out of the trunk of my frikkin' car.

Musical history:

My Dad played guitar since before I was born. He was inspired by The Beatles, Van Halen, ZZ Top, Creedence, Hendrix, and the like. He said I wouldn't be able to play because I was left handed (although some of the best were left handed). I started practicing on his guitars when he was at work, and I found out that even a lefty can play right handed if he tries hard enough. I started as more of a punk and metal player, doing power chords and whiny solos in pentatonic scales, but I eventually started studying other styles of music and became a more eclectic guitarist. I also started learning video game songs that I liked, and at the time, I had no idea a site like OCR would come to be. Yeah, I think I'm rambling. So yeah, that's my musical background for you.

Hmmm... let's see if I can keep this short.

I've never had a musical lesson in my life, and I can't read or write sheet music. Instead, when I was younger, I was given a half-sized keys keyboard because of (if you can believe it) the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I saw that seen with the keyboard, and it struck up an interest in me. So, a year or so later, I was given a Yamaha Portasound PSS-470, and began playing on it. I never got particularly good, but I did get skilled enough to be able to play a bunch of game tunes pretty accurately, start fleshing out original compositions, and eventually begin recording complete original songs (all by ear). Needless to say, that little keyboard got a lot of use over the years, and I still have it to this day.

About five years ago, I bought myself a full-sized keyboard (a Casio WK 1300), and continued playing game tunes and writing new original works (multi-instrument ones thanks to the 6 track recording ability of the WK 1300). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play much at all over the last four years, as I simply don't have the room to set it all up. As a result, most of my original tunes have been written completely in Cakewalk's Music Creator 2002.

Anyway, there's my musical background.

I took piano lessons for 10+ years, but I never practiced until I quit the lessons about 5 years ago. Now I write my own stuff and play it all the time. I took guitar lessons for about 5 years, and I'm fairly competent at that, but also fairly out of practice.

My real passion is singing, and I've been self-teaching myself that for 8 years our so. I took some voice lessons in college, but for some reason they only helped me in making singing more difficult and less natural sounding. I'm probably going to destroy my voice in a few years, but nothing feels better than to belt out some rock songs while banging on a piano.

I'm currently in a different college working on an associates in Audio/Video Production. From your post, I think this might be something you might want to look into. Basically, it's technical training in all the workings of film production (camera operating, lighting, editing, directing, etc.) and audio equipment (studio recording, mixing, live production, etc.) It's like an all-in-one package for learning the technical side of being creative. If you go to a small community or technical school, you'll more than likely get to learn a lot of this stuff hands on instead of wasting time on most of the garbage universities make you take. As for myself, I'm REALLY enjoying it so far. I can't recommend it enough.

I'm currently in a different college working on an associates in Audio/Video Production. From your post, I think this might be something you might want to look into. Basically, it's technical training in all the workings of film production (camera operating, lighting, editing, directing, etc.) and audio equipment (studio recording, mixing, live production, etc.) It's like an all-in-one package for learning the technical side of being creative. If you go to a small community or technical school, you'll more than likely get to learn a lot of this stuff hands on instead of wasting time on most of the garbage universities make you take. As for myself, I'm REALLY enjoying it so far. I can't recommend it enough.

Thanks, I really appreciate it, and I'll look into it! :mrgreen:

These backgrounds are very impressive, everybody!