Mega Man 2 'Rave on the Roof!' (Intro)

SenPi

fAlright so there is a little story here. At ai-kon here in winnipeg this year, my friend is djing, so I was like "oh man I'll make a bunch of video game remixes for you to play". So that was the plan.

This megaman 2 intro is gonna be the opener. I first made a sweet ass piano intro, but decided to just sample the original for the first 10 seconds or whatever (before the speed up), then break in to the dance. I though I should sample so it would get more people on the dancefloor since they would probably recognize the actual original alot better.

Anyways here is my wip. I have all my ideas there, now I have to work on mastering/transitions.

As for if I will submit this.. I dont think there is enough of my own stuff in there. I dont really rearange anything. But let me know what you guys think.

Note: Also a little bit of Megaman 2 Boss fight music in there :D.

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/mm2introfv1.mp3

SUPER UPDATE!!!!

Alright, I redid it from scratch. I went as far as to finish it before posting the new version. I think I am calling this, FINISHED unless there are quite a bit of problems that other people see. Let me know guys :D I think this one is a keeper :D.

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/RaveOnTheRoof320.mp3 - Rave On The Roof! (320 kbps)

EDIT: Fixed 2 small things

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/RaveOnTheRoof2320.mp3 - Rave On The Roof 2 (320 kbps)

EDIT 3: Alright, so I finally did one last remaster/check/etc. and this is the final version that I am going to submit. Let me know what you think :D.

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/RaveOnTheRoofFinal.mp3 - DJ SymBiotiX - Rave On The Roof! (Megaman 2 Intro)

yeah, I see what Seph's saying. The intro seems a little out of place because it doesn't really flow very well with your stuff when it comes in. Like he said, try adding your own elements on top of the source, like at the first tempo change. Then add something else at the second tempo change to add a little cohesion there.

Not really any other complaints. The part that was swung reminded me of Burning Heat. I haven't heard that much swung trance

I don't know...it doesn't really add any flow to the transition. If anything, I think it's worse because of the humongous style change and how sudden it is. At least the other one was a little closer stylistically. Also, if it's going to be a song that's played on the dance floor, it should probably have a little shorter intro (if you're using the piano intro) or you're more than likely going to have about a minute of dead time or something.

If it was me (which it's not. Your decision), I'd stick with the other intro but add your own elements gradually in the intro like we were talking about to make it flow a little better.

I told myself I couldn't do anything else until I reviewed this, SOOOOOO,

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[sorry but that intro] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

PRODUCTION

Not fair cause you didn't do any yet:-P

PERFORMANCE

Haha, fern performing live.:tomatoface:

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

[X] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS

Personally, I like the full piano intro a lot better. Anywho, on to the main song, TRANSITION!!!:tomatoface:. The first break at 2:10 to 2:23 was a little sudden and the drums sound way to exposed and random(and not the good random). Near the end 3:10 the lead synth sounds way to high key and repetative.

OK now I can go eat, lol

See ya around Fernhead!:mrgreen:

• 1 month later...

SUPER UPDATE!!!!

Alright, I redid it from scratch. I went as far as to finish it before posting the new version. I think I am calling this, FINISHED unless there are quite a bit of problems that other people see. Let me know guys :D I think this one is a keeper :D.

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/RaveOnTheRoof320.mp3 - Rave On The Roof! (320 kbps)

EDIT: Fixed 2 small things

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/RaveOnTheRoof2320.mp3 - Rave On The Roof 2 (320 kbps)

The Intro is Awesome, that's for sure! A whole lot of improvement against the first post.

The actual main part does sound appealing, and I also recognized the boss-tune for a part of about 30 seconds.

Variation enough in my humble opinion, Although the outtro is indeed a bit on the long side, and seems to be a transition to another part of the song (or another song entirely), instead of ending the track.

Overal:

# Intro sticks close to the source, but with the added flair it should be enough. Well performed and good sound quality.

# Main part: Enough variation to carry the track, the transition at 2:30 to the Boss-tune could be stretched up a bit, to keep more "flow" IMO. Personally, I would let the lead play through another bar or two. Again good sound quality, as well as smooth production.

# Ending/Outtro: Should be shortened, it lasts for almost a minute, with little sense of direction towards an end. The idea is there though, so polish it a little

I think this track has a lot of potential. Keep polishing the ending and the transition at 2:30, and I think this could be an excellent track! Keep it up!

I'll be watching this... :wink:

Haha will do. The reason the ending was so long and such, was because this was the "mixable" version. This was supposed to be played at a dance at an anime convention so I threw a long ending to make it easyer to mix. I'll make a real ending soon :D. I'll also try to fix up some stuff as well. Im hoping to get this done by the end of the week and submit it. Yay :D

I rather like what you've got here. I especially like the part in the middle where the boss theme comes in. My main concern is the file size is currently over the standards. I assume you're going to cut the bitrate down for submission, right?

I rather like what you've got here. I especially like the part in the middle where the boss theme comes in. My main concern is the file size is currently over the standards. I assume you're going to cut the bitrate down for submission, right?

Definitely, the one in the link is the 320 kbps version. I'm going to have to go 160 or so to get it under the limit.

I'm not a rave fan, but I'm impressed what you've done here! Hearing the first few piano chords is just.. chilling.

I really like how you've changed the first part after the tempo change into minor key. Try to make the chord at 01:33 a major chord. As the next part is in major key, that might make an awesome transition. Or not, but I hope you try it!

--Eino

• 3 weeks later...
Solid work, however it is missing too much in the low-to-mid frequency ranges, you should EQ and fill those spaces out before you submit it.

Whaaaaat?! really? According to my sound system and headphones, and the frequency reader thing, there are tons of low to mid freqs.. from what I saw, there was maybe too much low to mid.

hmm.. something weird also happened. I tried heightening the lower-mid eq's in post processing, but winamp showed the same thing :S, and if I try heightening the lower-mid eq's in reason, it starts yelling at me that its clipping, but if I heighten the lower-mid eq's in winamp, it fills it out and sounds fuller.. grah.. confusing. (Hopefully they dont get around to reviewing the mix untill at least tomorow, so I can fix a few things tonight :P

Reverb on the hats (intro) is way too strong, and it might be having a bit too strong high frequencies.

The source fits the style well, or perhaps it's the style that suits the source. Either way, it's good. The lack of a steady rhythm might be something of a problem. You're also a bit low on lows, you need more bass. Use a multiband compressor on the master where compress the bass the most. See how much you can boost the volume after that without causing clipping (easy way out: use a limiter and boost the volume a few dB).

It's cluttered in some parts, see what you can do about that.

Progression works, tho I found the intro poorly suited for the genre. Altho the piano is pretty, you should start transitioning to a more synthy soundscape. The speed-up is a well needed introduction to the main part of the track, but the transition from slow piano to rave (like I'd recognize rave among other electronica genres) could be smoother. Introduce the rave elements earlier.

Or perhaps I'm just whining about that because of the lack of bass in the mix. Might work better with more bass.

Close to 3:00 a new interesting sound comes in, but it's kept in the bg. Bring it forward more, bring the rest of the clutter back. It's interesting enough.

There's what I think.

Ok.. so I changed the file. (same URL)

http://www.djsbx.com/projects/RaveOnTheRoofFinal.mp3

Let me know if there is enough bass there. Ugh.. it kinda sounds muddy to me, but let me know what you guys think.

I too think something feels off about it, and I don't have your old version to compare it to..

Feels like I'm playing it on cheap speakers (not so much tinny, but like it's lost depth, maybe i should know what "muddy" means lol).

Could be my speakers. But if you still have it, can you post the old version as well for comparison?