I want to learn how to play Bass Guitar

L.T.W.

So, yeah.

I really want to do it, I believe is never to late to learn something you really like.

So I bought a little book to help re-learn to read music (I used to know long ago). Well now after two weeks of reading I wanna buy a bass guitar, but my economical situation makes it very hard to do so.

I dont have a credit card, only PayPal ( bank account e-check kinda think)

So buying it with payments is kinda out of the question.

Any tips?

and any tips in general on bass playing?

You can grab a cheap bass off of eBay, I got mine for around $100 including postage and it was fine (nameless/unknown brand though, but fine for a noob like me).

You should also look at getting an amp so you can hear it. Practice amps are fairly small and cheap, so that's another plus for a beginner. I also picked up an electronic tuner for a few $ off eBay.

Now I just wish I didn't have to get up at 5am everyday for University so that I might actually have time to learn how to play T_T

I'm a bassist and I can read music.

Lord.Roderick.i, get a cheap bass. Like an Ibanez Soundgear. Really good bass for not a lot of money. But yes, you'll need an amp. Check pawn shops and stuff. You can get a cheap small amp for under $200.

You gotta put some money into this if you're serious and if you're serious you'll be more motivated to learn.

Get the bass and amp and then go from there.

Lots of good guitar players highly recommend taking lessons. So if you can do it! And practice every day.

If you don't have time to go to lessons (nor the money), check out http://www.jamplay.com/ 20 dollars a month for a huge database of video lessons (with a nice range of instructors with different teaching styles). I am using it right now and absolutely love it.

Just gonna give more support to the Ibanez Soundgears. I got a 5 string Ibanez from the series they had before that for $125 used, and it's been an excellent bass to learn on. It was actually my second, I started on a 4 string P-Bass imitation, but yeah, highly recommended. Excellent basses for the price. Also, I'd recommend learning to play fingered first, regardless of what style you want to play, because it's a lot easier to learn picking later, and it's really nice to know how to do both.

If you're serious about learning instrument, taking lessons is the best way. Not only do you have someone teaching you how to play, but it forces you to practice more than you usually do and play stuff that is new to you. A lot of players fall into the habit of playing stuff they are familliar with instead of breaking new ground. Having a teacher assures you that this won't happen.

But if money is an issue that might be difficult. Luckily playing bass is very easy. Playing bass WELL is difficult, but anyone can play a song on bass within 15 minutes or so. Just get an instrument, watch a few video tutorials and start playing every day. Try to practice at least 30 minutes to an hour every day. You will quickly improve. Think of all the time you waste playing video games/surfing the net/whatever. If you just take one hour of that time every day you'll be a good bass player in no time.

I'll third or fourth the comments getting a teacher. Sure, lots of people teach themselves to play, but a lot of them learn to do it wrong and pick up bad habits that are quite difficult to break. Even if money gets in the way of lessons, at least find some instructional videos.

Also, try and see if you can learn some simple music theory for guitar. It makes learning a lot easier to learn when you understand what you're playing rather than just hitting notes that sound good. I learned theory in college, but I'm sure someone here could give some good links to help out in that regard.

http://www.rondomusic.net has some great cheap basses. A friend of mine bought one of the ~$160 SX models and loved it.

Also, PayPal now has a "Secure Card" feature which lets you generate a MasterCard # and allows you to "use" PayPal on any site that accepts MC.

Thx for letting me know about that feature in PayPal, I just finished installing it.

Such a cool feature!

Ill try using it to buy the bass and Amp :)

EDIT:

So I just payed for this (Ibanez IJXB190 Jumpstart Electric Bass Guitar) and should hopefully get it next week.

Its really cool that I can pay it in 3 payments of 100 and comes w/ free Ground Shipping.

All the reviews on that item were between 4 and 5 out of 5. I also talked it over w/ me cousin and his friend (plays bass) and for the cheap price should be a fine choice.

Don't waste your money on an amp specifically for a guitar if you're on a budget. The cord coming out of your guitar is just auxiliary output. Get the appropriate adapters and plug it into whatever you listen to CDs on, or anything that already has an amplifier built in. Even cheap computer speakers are amplified most of the time.

i don't have much to say about gear.. just get something and play. gear talk is fun but really doesn't amount to much

i would recommend playing along with songs, any song with a reasonably simple bass line. even if you aren't good at reading music or tab or hearing the notes, once you hear what you're playing you'll be able to put it all together and figure it out. also playing along with something will develop your rhythm, which is the most important aspect of bass playing

i don't have much to say about gear.. just get something and play. gear talk is fun but really doesn't amount to much

i would recommend playing along with songs, any song with a reasonably simple bass line. even if you aren't good at reading music or tab or hearing the notes, once you hear what you're playing you'll be able to put it all together and figure it out. also playing along with something will develop your rhythm, which is the most important aspect of bass playing

This.

IMO, most musicians don't develop their sense of rhythm as much as they should. It's especially important for bass players to be able to cooperate with the drums (especially the kick drum). If you have a kick drum playing one rhythm and the bass isn't complimenting it, things start to sound muddy and awkward.

If what I'm saying doesn't make much sense to you, don't worry. Just do your best to focus on the drums when you're playing along with a song and it should come to you naturally with practice.

Definitely starter and good for starters. Hope you're rocking out right now. Keep at it! And then soon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dWb-aCWR8U

DAMN!!!!

That guy is good!

Maybe someday if i dedicate myself a lot to play.

For now ill only play in my free time.

Oh yeah and I just got it today, I had lotsa fun for a couple of hrs of practicing.

Totally different experience than guitar IMO.

EDIT: Ill post pics with it l8r :)