OCR00959 - Final Fantasy VII "Space Station of the Ancients"

djpretzel

This was an interesting song. It sounds like a song from a gameboy game mixed in with a techno version of a song from Dark Cloud (Perhaps the Yellow Drops theme or Yellow Drops' dungeon theme). Anyway, this is quite an interesting mix, and I agree with Blindstrike. The spacey and haunting atmosphere of it is quite captivating. Good work.

• 1 year later...

Dude, this is awesome. Great idea turning the ancient-theme into a spaceversion, which succeded with.

And that´s good, ancients in FF games shall always have flying fortress, in this case in space. The choir in the back(or whatever it is) and the technic noises really gives this remix the feeling of beeing in space and gazing at a great station floating through space.

You´re the dude, Mazedude. 8)

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

OK, I'm not all that knowledged with breaking up tracks and analyzing them, but I definitely know what sounds good, and mazedude cranks it out with one of the SWEETEST FF7 remixes I've heard yet.

Major FF7 fans need to check this one out because the song just pulls you in and takes you for a musical ride, interpreting the emotion and feel of the original track perfectly and expresses it in an absolutely convincing way. The song has a very epic feel to it, like you're in the middle of one of the great stories of all time.

I very much agree with djpretzel on this track's reminiscience of the Metroid soundtrack. After listening to it a couple times, it reminded me quite a bit of the theme of Kraid's Hideout in the first Metroid. Very dark and fateful, but in the most glorious of ways.

mazedude strikes with not only an excellent Final Fantasy remix, but an excellent musical piece in general.

• 2 years later...

That's a curious drum loop claiming soundscape dominance. It sounds like an unorthodox combination of swift tongue spits, a robotic hiccup, and electro-industrial drum beats that move in a panning circle. Meanwhile, the synths playing the source change the feel of a brooding wasteland into a cause for alarm. But the lingering rumble effects really control the tone of the mix, sounding like meteors hitting the earth. I imagine Cloud running this way and that, alternating steps and changing directions every beat.

At 1:40-1:55 and 3:27-3:53, the two electronic leads (of different octaves and textures) stabilize the beat and mellow down any untamed moods. The eerie, sudden quiet of 2:25 acts like an "are you afraid of the dark?" moment before another meteor strikes and lights up the sky. An alien warp sound flies by once, around 0:25-0:27, like a UFO (and like a UFO, I want it to appear again). And every time the death bell tolls or the choir sings, someone's soul returns to the planet.

Encompassing stuff.

• 6 months later...

I kind of wish that opening synth was gliding, but once those awesomely panned syncopated beats come in, and the delay hits, i'm doing just fine. This mix sets up an incredibly cool mood, and with the choir and big bell hits, it sound very dramatic as well. I gotta say though this track never really explodes into something super intensely epic (which is partly the source), it really does a lot to keep interest, and ends up being a fantastically creative mix, packed with interesting and well-planned details.

One of my favorites from Mazedude, and definitely recommended. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

As usual, Mazedude makes them big or not at all. And that warrants no complaints from me. Nice constantly blossoming mix with a very meaty, industrial approach. There's a sense of the familiar and a strong sense of uniqueness to the sound. Of course, the source can be a little difficult to sustain for too long, and the mix hints at a struggle to reinvent it in so many ways to sustain a decent running time, but despite a struggle it's pulled off with gusto. I always love what Mazedude manages to inject into things, and this one, while having a slightly more subtle arrangement than usual, is still absolutely stellar. As per usual, sound choice and production is faultless to my ears. We're dealing with A-grade quality here, but of course, we already know that going in.

Fans of mixes that build up in complexity and then unleash a storm of sound need look no further. Mazedude has provided the good yet again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00959 - Final Fantasy VII "Space Station of the Ancients"