Song of Storms WIP

Hmm...here's a song that hasn't been done before. (/sarcasm)

I've even done this one once before. But that was over four years ago. (on VGMix, never posted here)

Orchestral, as I usually do...beware, this piece doesn't end yet, this incomplete version ends on a half cadence.(w00t?) Anyways, here's the link:

http://fayceless.googlepages.com/SoSremix2-a.mp3

Any comments, suggestions, criticisms are very, greatly appreciated. (also, title suggestions are welcome, I'm not good at naming things, could always use a few ideas)

One more thing: I don't know how much bandwidth googlepages gives, so let me know if you can't download it, I'll find a new place to put it.

Circumstances prevented me from listening on headphones or with decent volume, but what I did hear wasn't bad. There's certainly enough intrepretation here, and the source can be heard in different little bits and pieces throughout. It might be a little confusing to listen to, as the first minute it sounded more like a remix of Song of Time from the same game.

Can't comment too much on the details cuz I'm unable to hear them atm. I like the music, although it's sometimes a little hard to connect it to source (despite, or possibly due to it being based on itty bitty little pieces of source, rearranged). I don't mind. Interpretation-wise it's fine, methinks. On extending it, you should throw the source melody in very clearly, just to make sure everyone knows the track.

Certainly not bad, I think this will be YESed once it's done.

For some reason this reminds me of ALttP. Weird =P

Anyway. I suggest adding altos and/or 2nd violins at 1:11 that play more fast rythmic notes than melodic ones. At that point the arrangement gets more power, but it's not enough yet. The drums are nice, but the contrast with the rest of the arrangement is too less.

If you don't understand what I mean listen to this one:

Psychrophyte - Super Mario World Ghosts of the Marble Hall OC ReMix

Just listen at 1:25 and 1:50. You don't have to let your strings do exactly the same, it's just the idea of getting the feeling something is really happening. String parts like that actually give a lot more the feeling that a piece is coming to life than drums do.

At 1:30 in your piece you start the melody with a rythmic accompaniment. The accompaniment can use a lot more rythmic variation. It would sound really cool if you synchronize the snare and the rest of the orchestra. Just leave the melody as it is, sounds really nice. You also don't have to do anything with the harmony, just the rythm.

Good luck with this mate =)

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

I liked pretty much everything about this piece, both from a production standpoint and just plain musically.

Everything but the first minute, that is. The first minute just seemed rather generic orchestral video game interpretation. To me, it didn't feel like the piece TRULY began until 1:10 when the drums came in, and the backing strings played the opening notes to the Song of Storms (which was very nice).

If anything, the first minute needs to be more developed because it almost put me to sleep until it got awesome at 1:10.

As for low-quality samples, that should be sample. The flute just doesn't sit right for me; everything else sounds great.