PRC122: Hedgehogs - too cool for sprites! (Sonic 3D Blast)

Rexy

Alright, people. The mixing stage is over. And 24 hours' stimulation coughed up four entries - not bad!

Time to vote, gentlemen. To do this, you should visit the ThaSauce link, listen to the entries and fill out the form at the bottom - select three and place them all from first to third, with a reasoning attached to it. Contenders are encouraged to vote as they will automatically receive 3 points if they do so. The winner of PRC121 (just64helpin) has a vote that will count twice. You have until Wednesday, June 18th at 4:59AM to cast your vote. The winner will get to choose the source tune for PRC123!

Binweasel - All That Glitters

Chickenwarlord - Just Coal

munchi - Dusty Diamonds

Rexy - Snow in July

The People's Remix Competition 122

PRCv5-18

Hello everyone and welcome to the People's Remix Competition! Last time we were here, we had an Eek! the Cat related contest that almost definitely erased PRC93 from veterans' memory; five entries graced us each with varying styles but one goal - to win the whole thing. And it was a first win for just64helpin who tackled the source with something more ambient and moody than a fair chunk of his competition, and given the warm reception his dedication easily paid off.

PRC122 moves us away from crappy games of the SNES to crappy games of the Genesis - specifically, the beginning of one blue spiky rodent's fall from grace. If I mention something about saving flicky birds and an awkward isometric movement system, then you'll easily know what I'm talking about...!

prc122.PNG

Your subliminal method seems to have worked; I've chosen a Sonic tune. :wink: Actually I had been searching for a remix of this tune years ago -- the search essentially introduced me to OCR, and I've enjoyed the site ever since.

Please note that this is the Sega Genesis version, which is completely different from the Sega Saturn one.

Sonic 3D Blast (Genesis) - Diamond Dust Zone

Act 1: GYM | MIDI | MP3

Act 2: GYM | MIDI | MP3

Even though J64 specifically stated the Act 1 version in the submission letter, both variants on the theme share the same basic melody so they can both basically be seen as exactly the same track but with different forms of accompaniment, in a similar fashion to the last 2 thirds of Sonic 3 and the first half of Sonic & Knuckles. But hey, it's debatable if anyone wants to counterattack my POV on the matter ^^;

GOOD LUCK!

Fine Print:

PRC instructions

1. If you happen to be mixing this song already, start over in the interests of fairness.
  2. Limitations at ThaSauce require your entry to be 6MB or less in size. Length for length's sake and MIDI rips are not allowed.
  3. Entries must be posted in the ThaSauce link by NEXT SATURDAY, June 14th at 4:59 am Eastern US Time.
  4. You may enter as many mixes as you like and work with as many people as you like on each mix.
  5. Do not make qualitative comments on an entry until the results of the vote have been posted.
  6. Mixers cannot vote for themselves but if they vote they recieve a free first place vote added onto their score.
  7. The winner of the previous contest can't take part but their vote will be doubled.

Doulifee's PRC Archives! If you need help with hosting your mix, contact myself or Doulifee, and we'll help you out.

Well, it didn't put much of a dampener to PRC68 (Animal Crossing - K.K. Condor) and PRC97 (Pokemon - Silph Co), where two versions of the same track were both used then as well. Whichever happens, your preferred Act 1 files are on the ThaSauce server either way, much like the original Game Boy variant was for the aforementioned Pokemon PRC.

I'm in the final stages guys. Sorry for the close to the deadline submissions but I work from 3:30 til midnight and then I work out for an hour, so yeah. Three hours to put on some spackle and sparkle is plenty! See everyone at the deadline.

Hm. I wasn't planning on entering this time (like the song; just busy), but maybe...

How long with the extension be for? A set amount of days, or just until there's enough entries to make voting worthwhile?

Also, what exactly is a MIDI rip? I've seen the term around, but not with any clear definition. It's when you just remix it in a midi-editor and then record that directly to an mp3, no effort involved in any other process to make it sound better, right?

A time extension is just an added 24 hours. If the turnout issue persists by the next day, then another one is added; only two can be added depending on the scenario. If there is only one entry by Monday, then the sole contender wins by default; if there are two, a standard PRC voting scheme happens except that the contenders don't need to vote (their votes won't affect the voting at all).

And a MIDI rip can just be seen as taking a MIDI of the source tune from somewhere and changing the sounds in the mixing program of your choice. PRC76 (Decap Attack) has way too many examples of those >.>

Well, having had problems trying to host the so-called anonymous entries for PRC100, this would be an issue to deal with as if I host yours on your behalf, I therefore wouldn't take part as I potentially would have used my IP to help you (and yes, I actually have an entry in the works). But if you could get a non-participant to upload the revision for you, then they can do that and I'll take care of the rest.

I suppose I'll just leave it alone. I'll feel better about that way I think. Speaking of feeling better, I'm not sure I like it when there's only a shot a first or last place. When there five-seven mixes you can get fourth or third and it still sounds like you did alright. We should go a myspace, youtube PRC awarness and promotion campaign!! To ensure this doesn't happen again!

Alright, people. The mixing stage is over. And 24 hours' stimulation coughed up four entries - not bad!

Time to vote, gentlemen. To do this, you should visit the ThaSauce link, listen to the entries and fill out the form at the bottom - select three and place them all from first to third, with a reasoning attached to it. Contenders are encouraged to vote as they will automatically receive 3 points if they do so. The winner of PRC121 (just64helpin) has a vote that will count twice. You have until Wednesday, June 18th at 4:59AM to cast your vote. The winner will get to choose the source tune for PRC123!

Binweasel - All That Glitters

Chickenwarlord - Just Coal

munchi - Dusty Diamonds

Rexy - Snow in July

We should go a myspace, youtube PRC awarness and promotion campaign!! To ensure this doesn't happen again!

That's an interesting idea - making an informational video using some of the entries for background music. Certainly do-able.

Although what would we really do with it? Our main problem is that many people who would be interested don't even know PRC exists (I know that's how it went for me and for some other people). I don't know if our target audience would find it on youtube.

Still, it's an idea. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Edit: I think if we did make a video, we should stress that people of all levels of remixing are welcome. The word "competition", especially when coming from OCR, can be a little intimidating, I think. Listening to past entries really helped me build up the courage to give it a try; it's not completely ultra-popular posted remixers duking it out. We're all learning here.