*NO* Chrono Trigger 'Magus Smack' *FT*

DarkCecil13

This is an okay take on the original and well translated. Drums are nice, bass is very cool, reminds me of that 'Hella Good' song. But the lead sound... is that a FL default or something? I swear I've only heard that a million times before, and it doesn't change throughout the entirety of the song so it hurts the track. And when it's doubled up it sounds twice as uninteresting.

Certain sections like the one at 1:05ish are really boring. This is also pretty short too. But it is very loud and bright, which means someone probably spent some time mastering this, good!

Overall, an ordinary CT techno mix... nothing really special about it. Yet there's just not enough wrong with it to justify a 'no' ... so I guess I'll pass it. *shrug*

yes

• 3 weeks later...

The similarity in this mix to some instruments used by FFMusicDJ makes

me question if these are not presets that are starting to border on

cliche. Granted this is acceptable for this genre of music, i really feel

like this is a substandard dance mix. There is not enough movement

in the development of the track to facilitate dance music. For a track

like this to be less than 3 minutes long AND seem tedious is not a good

thing.

Most dance tracks push 5-6 minutes easily and have periods of

development that keep them interesting. This mix cannot seem to decide

what it wants to do, changing character every 30-50 seconds, going

through so many faces that it quickly becomes tiresome.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Not very memorable except for the times when the grating lead sticks close to the original's melody. The arrangement is rather forgettable and everything seems sequenced at random. Technically it's sound, but emotionally there's just not a whole lot going on here. Spice it up, move things around, inspire us, and last but not least, please replace that lead synth. At present, this is pretty dull.

NO

This song is too short at 2:53. It mostly repeats in this time. I'd like to see it longer and include more variation. The percussion never seems to change. It only seems to go away and come back.

The new chords in this song as opposed to the chords used in the original don't seem to work very well. I would like to see some instrument changes as well rather than just large detuned synths.

Overall, this song doesn't vary enough at 2min :53sec

NO

Imagine if ffmusicdj (or any other trance artist for that matter) downgraded his instrument set. It'd sound like this. And I hate to compare works to each other 'cause that's not very fair, but I'm reminded of Zeratul's Magus Raw Trance Exhaustion, and this is the same tune in the same style but much lower qual...

Ok, I need to look up smack.

A white, odorless, bitter crystalline compound, C17H17NO(C2H3O2)2, that is derived from morphine and is a highly addictive narcotic. Also called diacetylmorphine.

ohhhhhhhhh...

regardless, I think the instrument set needs to get a quality upgrade in order to pull this off.

NO

D