OCR01763 - *YES* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 'Forbidden Memory (of a Forgotten Dream)' *RESUB*

Liontamer

Original Decision: http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14884

Hey again guys.

Here's a new version of a song that got the ‘resubmit’ vote back on 03-10-2008.

Remixer: Random Hero

Song Title: Forbidden Memory (of a Forgotten Dream)

Game Source: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - Hidden Palace Theme (Sound Test: 10)

Other sources: NONE! other then my own ideas.

Sequencer: FL Studio

Instruments: EWQLSO PRO XP Gold & Symphonic Choirs

Ok, I think I have addressed most of the issues (but probably not all, and I may have added some new ones too) brought up by Liontamer, Palpable, and Malcos that were found in the original version of this song.

The biggest thing I did was transposed the whole song down 3 semitones, allowing the violins to play their parts without straining too much and also opened up the top registers of other instruments that can better handle the high notes. I also reworked a few areas, added some humanization, added some harmonies, added another instrument (a very sparingly used flute) and used a much better Harp sample then before (no it wasn’t pizz strings, it was a clean, unprocessed harp sample hahahaha). I think it sounds much better now. Hope you guys think so too!

Cheers

Ryan

-------------------------------------------------------------

Just noting, this was juuuust over the 6MB filesize limit (6,291,456 bytes), so we'd need a new, slightly lower encoding if this passes.

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=37 - 31 "Unused (Sound Test 10)" [Hidden Palace Zone]

I didn't think this track needed too much more to get over the line, and I'm definitely feeling a lot more flow and humanization to the piece compared to last time.

I loved the arrangement before, and you definitely lifted it up to a more cohesive level, Ryan. This was a very mature-sounding arrangement, and the dynamics here were excellent. Nice work, man. I really think your grandfather would have enjoyed this piece.

YES

This is great. Very emotive; I love the piano and harp. Voices are appropriately used; nothing over the top. I've always wanted to try this song in this style and now I don't have to, because you did it so well for me. Nice work. Dynamics are great, progression is great. I wish there was a little more brass, but that's just me. xD

YES

Fantastic arrangement, very dynamic and with pleasing instrumentation. I, like Shariq, really enjoy the piano/harp combo. Very happy to see some good use of timpanis, even if it's a bit unnatural to have them change tone this fast and often during a piece. Great build up during the middle of the track and. The ending really sends a chill down my spine, beautiful ending to a beautiful piece.

The productions is clean and well separated too. My only issue is that the strings in the left ear might be a bit too much panned, otherwise it's solid.

All in all, this is pretty damn sweet.

YES