Kung Fu Panda

Blake

So I saw it last night. I loved it. Last week I thought it was gonna suck massive balls, but then I read in a newspaper that it was actually pretty good. So I went in with medium/high expectations, and was not disappointed. This movie has a great soundtrack, a cliche yet solid storyline, amazing animation, and good voice acting. (Even though it's pretty much star studded cast, with characters modeled after their voices, and not vice versa. Makes me sad for people like Billy West.) The colors in this movie are great, and contrasts greatly with Finding Nemo in the oranges and reds but have the same beautiful intensity.

I loved the opening art style, and could watch an entire movie on that alone. It was very beautifully done, props to whoever headed that. This is a kid's movie, but I really enjoyed it. The jokes aren't dirty, and there were moments that were just hilarious (with a lot of giggles in between).

One thing I was really impressed with was the fact that the fighting in this movie wasn't completely half-assed as I half expected it to be...being a CGI and a movie named "Kung Fu Panda"...I mean come on, a panda can't do kung fu! Well, it may not have been Kung Fu, but the fight scenes were both engrossing and clever, and sometimes hilarious. I haven't really liked too many Dreamworks films recently, but this one is awesome...I might actually have to buy the DVD or Blu-Ray when it's released.

But if you're a fag and are going to go in to the movie and say "THIS IS SO UNREALISTIC ANIMALS ARE TALKING" then don't see this movie. However, I recommend that if you wanna have a good time this weekend at a genuinely good (IMO, great) movie, see Kung Fu Panda instead of that Zohan movie and you will not regret it.

Edit: By the way, if you don't want to see it because you dislike Jack Black, don't worry. He does a considerably good job and holds back from his extreme mannerisms (except perhaps in the beginning). It never gets annoying really.

"THERE IS NO CHARGE FOR AWESOMENESS... AND ATTRACTIVENESS."

"SPLADOOOSH!"

... movie is worth it alone for those lines alone. Saw the movie and enjoyed it more than a lot of the movies I've seen lately. Definitely something you should see before Wall-E comes out and totally blows our minds. :)

edit: btw, I liked Jack Black's "extreme mannerisms" as you guys put it up there. I wish there was more of it in the movie. In fact, I wish Jack Black kept the whole epic tone he had in the very beginning of the movie for the duration of the entire movie, just because epic Jack Black is hilarious.

The movie shines in it's criticism (and homage) to classic Kung-Fu/martialarts movies. It's going for that cheesy, over-the-top kung-fu cliche thing, and it's chock full of kung-fu fighting animals, but I was smiling the entire way through. It's great movie. I really enjoyed it.

Would I let you kids down? Of course not. So go get a ticket and watch this movie already.

/working for Dreamworks

Jack Black is like Chris Farley except even more frantic and funny without relying on crutches like Saturday Night Live.

I thought Nacho Libre was one of the funniest movies of the last few years and I think he's better off making movies than making music. But he does both, so everyone wins.

Jack Black is like Chris Farley except even more frantic and funny without relying on crutches like Saturday Night Live.

I thought Nacho Libre was one of the funniest movies of the last few years and I think he's better off making movies than making music. But he does both, so everyone wins.

I agree. I can't really think of a movie he was in that was actually bad. (I haven't seen Pick of Destiny though). Hell, he was even a star in King Kong. All of the ones that I've seen were at least good. I especially loved School of Rock.

I'm surprised it's getting 85% in Rotten Tomatoes. Again, can't trust the critics, but at least it doesn't look like a total flop.

Also, it feels like I made friends with the panda eons ago with him telling me to turn off my cellphone for the dozenth time. I thought he was a theater-mascot.

Kung Fu Panda is probably the best Dreamworks movie Ive ever seen.

Seconded. Next on the list or right with it, either of the first two Shrek movies.

I didn't really mind how cliche it was sometimes, because for every cliche moment, they made up with about 3-5 creative things. Especially the fight for that one dumpling - that was probably the best part in the entire movie. I'm very tempted to go watch that movie in theaters again... probably with some of my friends that I know will like it.

The movie was ok, but I don't think I'd see it again. Jack Black has never been that funny to me, and I'm glad there was enough action and decent(Eh... What can I say? It's Dreamworks) animation and not too much Jack Black humor in between... Or maybe there was, but I just didn't find it too funny.

I give it a 7 out of 10. Go see it if you have nothing better to do on the weekend.

Awesomeness.

The beginning sequence kinda reminded me of Okami's artwork. Even Po's attitude made me think of Issun at times (minus the pervy-ness.)

There was plenty of creativity in this movie, jokes and scenarios I'd never seen before and an incredible message near the end that made me smile.

Funny and fantastic throughout.

Saw it today. I'll admit that I'm a Pixar (especially Brad Bird) fanboy, and I've never been very impressed, if at all, with anything Dreamworks has done in 3D since Shrek 1.

That said, I will definitely be buying this when it comes out DVD or BR (depending), and will seriously consider purchasing the art-of book. And holy crap, that intro was awesome (except the lip sync, but that's me being a picky animator).

...by the way, this may be of general interest (scroll down for the goodies). :D

Almost all the reviews from casual viewers have been positive which could basically mean everything, but I think Dreamworks is decent. It's simply unfair to compare anything to Pixar since Pixar is in the top of their game for like, a decade now. I simply hate the idea of the entire animation industry jumping in on the bandwagon to easy-to-create/churn 3D animated movies, but I think spoofing a kung-fu movie is a bit more inspired idea than usual. I think I'll have to watch it in theaters soon. Though I'm sure the movie will go on movie channels less than a year later.