OCR00961 - Phantasy Star IV "Wounds of the Past"

djpretzel

Nice. :puppyeyes: Nice sounds, nice arangment. Not too repetitive. One RELLY offkey note on the choir(ish) thing. AHH! You ruined the song for me..Oh well. Ah, then gets a little more heavy on the instruments and give me the nice feeling inside. :puppyeyes:

Good Job man. Other than that wrong note(wich I cant bare), pretty awesome stuff man.

-Gman

"The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Definitely applicable here. At /least/ an 8/10. Doesn't try to do too much, which is something I always have a huge problem with in my compositions/arragnements.

Don't know what these comments about out-of-tuneness are... I can usually spot pitch clashes a mile off. Maybe it's just conflicts between the "voices" of the different parts.

Yay! A Phantasy Star IV ReMix! Yay!

Although I don't approve of the track choice (Pain is a decent track in PSIV's soundtrack, but I think it has more interesting music), the ReMix is excellent nonetheless. It might be the PSIV fanboy in me talking, but like I care.

Three thumbs up.

• 3 weeks later...

I have played PS4 many, many times, and the part when Alys dies is very dramatic, very sad.

When I heard this song, I knew it was THE remix I was waiting for about this part of the game : quite "simple" (don't take it the wrong way), with soft instruments, great transitions... If I played the first time at PS4 with this music when Alys died, I would have cried.

This is truly a great requiem, and I swear it won't move from the top of my playlist for a long, long time.

I don't really care about the technic when hearing a music (especially from this site, I have yet to find a bad quality music), and I think I have heard remixes far above this one technically speaking, but the emotion I feel when hearing this one is better than a good drum loop :)

(please don't care my weird english writing)

• 1 month later...

I know this is a VERY late response. My apologies.

Thanks for the responses... both praising and criticizing (but especially the praising :wink::lol:). I dropped the volume down as I wanted it to be a subdued, more somber piece... and I knew that by doing so, I was taking a risk with the end volume. But when I turned it up louder, some of that somber quality seemed to fade. So, for better or for worse, I chose to leave it at the volume settings you hear it in now.

Again, sorry for taking so long to reply and thank you guys for taking the time to write what you did. I'll now return you to your regularly scheduled insanity :wink:

• 1 year later...

The mix seems kind of quiet, so I had to turn up my volume in order to write a reveiw of this. mreh.

This is an emotional [though somewhat minimalistic] mix. I like it, but more as background music - sometimes it feels a bit too artificial and uneventful. I'm betting you turned the volume down to hide those little flaws, eh? :P

Otherwise, you did a pretty nice job on your part. I'll enjoy this as long as I'm not thinking with a critic's mind. :)

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Very sad remix, the strings along with the..., let's call it flute, made this arrangement sound really beautiful. It builds up by adding instrument by instrument, and the cycle repeats in the middle of it. This would fit quite well in a movie where the character thinks about his past (remix title, hint hint) and thinks about the pain he may have suffered or made someone else suffer. As I said, a very sad remix, almost makes me wanna cry.

• 1 month later...
I have played PS4 many, many times, and the part when Alys dies is very dramatic, very sad.

When I heard this song, I knew it was THE remix I was waiting for about this part of the game : quite "simple" (don't take it the wrong way), with soft instruments, great transitions... If I played the first time at PS4 with this music when Alys died, I would have cried.

This is truly a great requiem, and I swear it won't move from the top of my playlist for a long, long time.

I don't really care about the technic when hearing a music (especially from this site, I have yet to find a bad quality music), and I think I have heard remixes far above this one technically speaking, but the emotion I feel when hearing this one is better than a good drum loop :)

(please don't care my weird english writing)

I DID cry there.

Only game to ever make me do that.

I laughed all the way through Aeris's death scene in FFVII, but Alys Brangwin's death in PS4 hit me where it hurt.

• 1 year later...

Thought the arrangement is very simple, it's presented in such a way that it really gets into your head. Very barren and morose.

The sounds were well chosen, and though i'd have preferred the flute to have a little more life to it, it works well.

The transitions were smooth, and the different sections had enough variety to keep me interested. The melody is very haunting, and I can only imagine the level of emotion in the game itself during this scene.

Nice work, very classy.

• 1 year later...

I respect the conscientious choices of 1) soothing instruments, 2) pulling back the tempo, and 3) highlighting mainly the first of every three notes in the source's 3/4 time signature. Together, these aspects craft some cinematic and maudlin funeral music.

The flute, bells, and strings work seamlessly together, bonded by their grief. They paint a desolate, foggy land where I remember, and say goodbye to, someone who was close to me. Halfway through, the trailing horn calls out to the departed soul, and at the end it touches the last note so poignantly it hurts. Just... hurts.

Chicken soup for the soul right here.

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00961 - Phantasy Star IV "Wounds of the Past"