What (instrument) are you playing?

MaCe

Drums for 9 years, piano for 2.5, and just started teaching myself guitar again (fourth times the charm I guess, but I think I'll actually stick with it this time. I bought a book of Led Zeppelin tabs to keep me interested when learning beginner stuff is boring the hell out of me).

piano -- 9 years of lessons plus a year of piano class in college. Shouldn't have quit taking lessons...if I was still taking them, I'd still be playing Rachminanoff. :P

tenor recorder -- finally got a nice tenor about 4 years ago...an upgrade from 3rd grade's plastic soprano. I'm actually quite good -- sat in with the university orchestra when they needed a soloist.

cello -- 2 years...not very good here.

I've been playing keyboards for about 14-15 years or so (self-taught). I'm really gonna start working on my piano technique this year! Check out www.jazzpianolessons.com for a few tips, I'm sure it'll be very useful to beginners. You can always use youtube and just type in piano chords/tips/scales and see if you can glean anything - again, for beginners it's great. I wish youtube was around when I first started playing, I'd be a hell of a lot better than I am now lol.

thnx for tip

Wow, there are a lot of musicians here. :<

Look what I can do!

Trumpet: Started playing in 1996 for school, played through 2002 in my punk-ska cover band, and haven't played it much since. I can still remember some stuff, but my chops sure ain't what they used to be. :(

Guitars: been playing in my spare moments for 6 or so years. I bought a classical last year, and it's been stealing quite a bit of thunder. I have an electric, but I don't play it much, which is kinda dumb because it's old-ish and cool looking, and I'd probably get all the ladies if I learned to play it right.

Bass: Played on and off for about 5 years. Picked up again recently, much to my enjoyment.

Cajon: A buddy of mine picked one up a few months ago, and I've been playing it, and it's awesome--once I learned how to not beat the crap out of my hands while playing it.

Drums: I can do it if I try. :D I've been playing on my knees for years.

Piano: I wish. Maybe I'll look up that link Malcos posted...

I've played piano for... six years? let's see since I was 11 so more like seven years. I've taken lessons the whole time except my third year. I've studied it classicaly, but this summer I'm finally doing jazz studies. My sight reading is proficient as I'm a church musician. church people think musicians have nothing better to do then learn a hard piece in a couple of days! I'll be going for the piano pedagogy major at Bob Jones University this fall.

Pipe Organ for the last six months because my teacher made me.:-P No offense to anybody who likes it, but I HATE playing it. I also happen to SUCK, but that's probably because I don't exactly have a pipe organ to practice on at home.

I also have taken voice lessons for the past 2 years. Everyone says I'm good, but I think that I really suck.

I'm currently working on choral pieces for church, memorizing a greig piece, and memorizing a debussy piece, memorizing zanarkand, and starting gershwin prelude II. and a trumpet solo accomp. and a quartet accomp piece. GEEZ i'm busy. :banghead:

I hope that was informative!;-)

See you at BJ this fall Josh (hopefully)!

I play enough piano to enjoy myself (which means i'm really not that good at it), Play classic and acoustic guitars (4 years, hoping to get a nice electric eventually), and sing (life, but no lessons ever...). I actually have 0% natural musical talent, so anything i've got was gotten through sheer force of will lol. I'm more of an artist.

Right now due to tendonitis I'm not playing anything :<

Doug, are you aware of any good resources for how to deal with tendonitis? Obviously, not playing is a good option, but do you know of any ways to lessen its effects? I've played a lot less over the last 10 years than I'd like because of it.

Piano and keyboards: I've been playing for 21 years. I started with classical, got up to grade 9 with the Royal Conservatory of Music in Canada, quit that and got into jazz in high school, with a bit of rock and pop that I'd play at church. Now, I'm focusing on using other keyboard instruments (Rhodes, Wurlitzer, B3, that kind of thing) in my playing.

Clarinet: My chosen band instrument in grade 7. Haven't played one in probably 6 years.

Sax: I discovered jazz in grade 10 and promptly dropped clarinet to pick up sax. I own an alto, but haven't played in maybe 5 months; my focus is keys right now.

Bass: I play at church when we're short a bass player.

Drums: I play at church when we're short a drummer.

Doug, are you aware of any good resources for how to deal with tendonitis? Obviously, not playing is a good option, but do you know of any ways to lessen its effects? I've played a lot less over the last 10 years than I'd like because of it.

Yeah, I'm getting therapy. It's going to take a while to heal, but it's getting there. I think...

Flute - 8 years, but I just started taking private lessons this year.

Piano / Keyboards - 8 years as well.

Electronic Wind Instrument (Akai EWI4000s) - I just bought one of these a couple months ago, and it is the coolest thing I have ever played. Wind instrument + 8 octave range + 100 programmable sounds = sheer awesome!

(Most people I've talked to have no idea what an EWI is, so click here for the Wikipedia page)

Yeah, I'm getting therapy. It's going to take a while to heal, but it's getting there. I think...

When you're more healed, is there anything else you'd have to do to lessen/reduce the effects? I'm just asking because by not playing much, I'm more-or-less healed at this point, but don't want to push for too much and relapse.

When you're more healed, is there anything else you'd have to do to lessen/reduce the effects? I'm just asking because by not playing much, I'm more-or-less healed at this point, but don't want to push for too much and relapse.

Yeah: have a very controlled warm up and cool down regiment before and after practicing. Practice no more than 50 minutes before taking a ten minute break, and in those 50 minutes take lots of little breaks. Control the amount of tension your arms are holding while playing, make sure your technique is correct in this aspect, and practice good posture (back straight, shoulder back--- you don't want to be pulling your shoulders back with your shoulder blades, but they should not slouch forward). Also, exersize is a great way to keep the blood flowing--when i'm exercising regularly, I normally don't get arm problems. Running, swimming, even weight lifting can help (but don't lift too much when you have tendonitis ;) )

Hey all! Newcomer here!

My primary instrument is trombone. I've been doing that since age 9, so almost eleven years on that. Now I'm specializing in bass trombone, and have been for four of those eleven years. (Don't know what a bass trombone is? It's a slightly bigger trombone with the range of both tuba and trombone. Check out a guy named Bill Reichenbach to see how I wish I could play.)

My baritone voice is passable, but not really amazing. I also play piano, but I'm gonna quote bummerdude because he said what I would say:

I hardly consider it to be something serious, since I can't read notes and play at the same time, and all the songs I know are simply there because I've memorized them in my mind and fingers. I still know how to play all of them, and sometimes I sit down and learns a new tune from a videogame or any song that most of society can recognize, so it's a neat hobby and showoff party entertainment. But serious? Nah.

Yeah: have a very controlled warm up and cool down regiment before and after practicing. Practice no more than 50 minutes before taking a ten minute break, and in those 50 minutes take lots of little breaks. Control the amount of tension your arms are holding while playing, make sure your technique is correct in this aspect, and practice good posture (back straight, shoulder back--- you don't want to be pulling your shoulders back with your shoulder blades, but they should not slouch forward). Also, exersize is a great way to keep the blood flowing--when i'm exercising regularly, I normally don't get arm problems. Running, swimming, even weight lifting can help (but don't lift too much when you have tendonitis ;) )

I heard a somebody call wind musicians "athletes of the small muscles" at a competition once. Here it really sounds like you're talking in a pretty macro scale, what with shoulders and arms. shows some real difference between the bodily involvement in, say, sax compared to marimba or set.

I heard a somebody call wind musicians "athletes of the small muscles" at a competition once. Here it really sounds like you're talking in a pretty macro scale, what with shoulders and arms. shows some real difference between the bodily involvement in, say, sax compared to marimba or set.

Well, it's true--running a marathon and playing an instrument are comparable--tons of repetitive muscle motions for hours a day. The reason I'm talking in macro scales is because my small muscles are strong enough to do what they need to do. In fact, they are too strong--and I've worked them so hard I've damaged them. What I need to do now is readjust the tension that I hold in my body--get it out of my small muscles, which are needed for fast motions only, and put it in my large muscles. This will create support for my small muscles to move in the way they need to. Playing percussion is more wrist motion than most other instruments, which rely on finger motion. However, my arms should not be moving, and my back and shoulders should be strong enough so I don't have to support the weight of the mallet with my hands/arms.

Well, it's true--running a marathon and playing an instrument are comparable--tons of repetitive muscle motions for hours a day. The reason I'm talking in macro scales is because my small muscles are strong enough to do what they need to do. In fact, they are too strong--and I've worked them so hard I've damaged them. What I need to do now is readjust the tension that I hold in my body--get it out of my small muscles, which are needed for fast motions only, and put it in my large muscles. This will create support for my small muscles to move in the way they need to. Playing percussion is more wrist motion than most other instruments, which rely on finger motion. However, my arms should not be moving, and my back and shoulders should be strong enough so I don't have to support the weight of the mallet with my hands/arms.

Ah, i get it! I'm nearly completely in the dark about percussion stuff, but this all makes sense. It's a bit like saying "lift with your legs, not your back" but here it's "play from your back, not your wrist." ...Er, not quite, but I hope you know what i mean.