OCR00962 - Super Mario Bros. "Water Main"

djpretzel

Eh... not enough to impress me or make me want to listen to it more than once. Even if it was longer... I don't think I'd want to hear any more of that low quality guitar work.... even if it was trying to sound like that, I couldn't tell, and it just didn't work for me. And there were very few other instruments to smooth it out. In a time when so many mixes are getting denied in order to "improve the overall quality" or whatever, I'm surprised this one made the cut.

Edit: Just heard the "Underworld Rock" mix linked in the write-up, man that's SO much better.

Perhaps this could've been encoded a tad higher? The beginning had a few of those tiny encoding glitches.

Some interesting improv in the middle. But the guitar sounds like its coming from one of those little amps. Now, I'm not one to talk about guitar sound or anything, but these probably could have used some more low EQ, and maybe a bit less mid EQ. Or perhaps it was because it was a little empty behind the guitar (just drums).

But, I did enjoy the piece.

Rockin'! Worth the download. Quality guitar work.

The drums and such don't sound too strange to me... djpretzel's joke that it might end up getting re/mis-labeled and thrown out on Kazaa isn't too unrealistic, it sounds not unlike a good loose/jam session-esque cut.

This is one of those tunes that just amazes me when I think that it was written for the NES, especially the last part of the melody before it loops back on itself.

Heyo. I didn't know this was up already! I guess I don't have much to say about this in reply except that a "water main" is a kind of big pipe, hence why I thought it an appropriate name for music from the level you take a big pipe down into. Also, in the first Super Mario Bros. it was already in a 6/4 (or 3/4) metre. It didn't become 4/4 until they redid it for Super Mario Bros. 3. (By the way, 6/8 usually means two triplets per bar, which really doesn't describe this piece at all.)

As for comments on the guitar work, I really, really don't deserve any comparison to Satriani, but I will agree that the guitar is very noisy and rough (the way I hoped it would sound :wink: ). I don't know what people find so odd about the drums (maybe the snare processing and distortion? maybe it's just the fact that it's an mp3?).

Anyhow, thanks for all the comments everybody!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

I can't tell if the guitar are real or synthetic. If they are synthetic, nice work. If they are real, time for a new amp. :(

I found this too be too sparse and hollow for my taste, as well as it being the melody verbatim with a wanktacular solo stitched on.

Now i'm as guilty as the next guitarist of cranking the wankitude up for solos, but this one seemed excessive and even sloppy.

Sorry, this mix just wasn't for me at all. :(

• 2 years later...

I gotta say that OA hit the mark with this piece... I'm not sure if the guitar is real or synthetic either... it has mechanical characteristics, i'm sure i'm hearing the exact same guitar part more than once, but that could be editing, and the solo doesn't sound sequenced... its not precise enough.

Lol at disco dans satriani quip. This is not Joe satriani, and never will be :P

That said, this mix just sounds... empty. The solo gets muddy because there is delay feedback once per bar, but only do that if your going to harmonize (brian may anyone?), here it just sounds messy.

I think this does have something for those that like a crazy guitar tapping solo, but other than that, stay away from this one. Sorry, didn't like it all that much.

• 2 years later...

I agree with willrock and OA on some points with this, however I can also hear the artistic idea behind it. Personally I think its nice to hear something thats a bit rough and ridget but yet not horribly mixed. Its mixed differently than the typical yes, but its not horrible in any sense. The only things I have qualms about are; that you only touch the surface with this idea, but you never actually dive into it. And that the solo is pre/post mature, as in hinting to more material to come or previous material heard that doesn't actually exist. So to summerize, this mix sounds like an awesome idea that never had a chance to develop. Regarding the mix job itself, some things could defintely be tighter, but I think more development (variations) on the theme would make the bigger difference. Also great job on reflecting the title within the music!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00962 - Super Mario Bros. "Water Main"
  • 6 years later...