CMC - Conceptual Music Competition 20: The Urban Streets

Abadoss

Congratulations to RisingForce! :-P

Can't wait to hear the concept you put forward and get working on it!

Thanks also for the comments on my piece.Useful stuff that I will keep in mind, looking back now my piece was indeed too much of my own and I meandered off the concept too much.

Ah well, was my first try so I will make the next one better!

Personally I think the flow of a bustling city leads to an overall smoothness. Chaos would imply a riot or something.
I suppose so, I think I was too picky on production quality this time. For a night city setting I sort of expected that there would be more high EQ than for say a church or something else. Cymbals, high pitched synths, etc. produce more high frequencies, which also help make the song sound louder without having it amplified. Which is why I chose to do non-orchestral, because I feel my orchestral songs are too smooth compared to real orchestras, so a synthy song would compensate for that.

But I'm just excited for the next CMC, since it's really fun seeing what everyone does! So yes, congrats RisingForce and do pick something cool!

This wasn't really a win- everyone wrote really original material and it seems like my win was a fluke more than anything else. So, great job to everyone! :)

On a side note, a lot if not most of these "critiques" just seem like empty suggestions.. i.e "I like this, I like that, but I can't tell you why" etc. Blue.Nocturne's critique was IMO the most helpful, and that really only extended to production. "Anime" or "game" music is such an ignorant Western blanket term for music with Oriental intervals in melody or harmony. I guess the critique isn't even obligatory anyway, so, meh. I was hoping to see more insightful commentary though.

Are there any guidelines or restrictions on how broad or specific my theme can be? Does it have to be something universal?

P.S.: Blue.Nocturne, the style of your melody at 1.02 sounded really familiar from the start- it's right out of the Trigun OST by Tsuneo Imahori! Great stuff.

I use anime influenced chords too so don't take it wrongly. Like a lot of my songs use cliched chords and/or transitions, but it's not a bad thing, using cliche works as long as it is not overused, in my opinion. Plus your song was well made overall, so production was the only thing I could that be commented on.

it's right out of the Trigun OST

Lol, I actually saw that like 5 years ago. I didn't know it sounded like that though.

This wasn't really a win- everyone wrote really original material and it seems like my win was a fluke more than anything else. So, great job to everyone! :)

On a side note, a lot if not most of these "critiques" just seem like empty suggestions.. i.e "I like this, I like that, but I can't tell you why" etc. Blue.Nocturne's critique was IMO the most helpful, and that really only extended to production. "Anime" or "game" music is such an ignorant Western blanket term for music with Oriental intervals in melody or harmony. I guess the critique isn't even obligatory anyway, so, meh. I was hoping to see more insightful commentary though.

Are there any guidelines or restrictions on how broad or specific my theme can be? Does it have to be something universal?

P.S.: Blue.Nocturne, the style of your melody at 1.02 sounded really familiar from the start- it's right out of the Trigun OST by Tsuneo Imahori! Great stuff.

I generally try to encourage more useful critiques. I normally try to give some, as well, but things were a little too hectic this time around. Anyway, send me a PM about the theme. We'll talk there.

So, just a bit of random news... apparently, a company in Vietnam was looking into purchasing the copyright for CMC... got contacted and everything... I have a feeling they didn't quite pay attention to all the details on that one... :P

Yeah but then they'd have to pay all of the individual artists. So (please excuse my language) fuck that - I don't want my stuff being turned to profit that I don't even get. Samples ain't free man.

And LOL @ them for not understanding the premise of CMC. Oh well ^^

They wanted the concept of the competition... more appropriately, they were looking into whether or not they wanted it. They didn't outright say they wanted it.

By the way, we're just waiting for a PM from xRisingForce...

lol, I'll gladly take his place if he doesn't reply :P, I've got several interesting ideas for a concept.

They wanted the concept of the competition... more appropriately, they were looking into whether or not they wanted it. They didn't outright say they wanted it.

By the way, we're just waiting for a PM from xRisingForce...

Looks like I was wrong here too, so wait, can they even actually copyright that? And if they do, then do we have to shut down?

Also, *elbow jabs xRisingforce* let's get this next round started!

congrats congrats. commentary was ite except for a certain voter who commented on my DRUM N BASS entry as follows: "There are a lot of noisy parts in the song, not much else is in it".

First of all - noisy... not very descriptive at the best of times, but travel through any major city and tell me it's not noisy. If you think this is noisy, try listening to bloody Stravinksy and sing the tune.

Secondly.. apparently melody, harmony, structure, production etc. mean "not much else" lol.

Also, are "dominating drums" meant to be a good thing? I would fkn well hope so in a drum n bass song. >< In other words, ridiculous critique.

bah im slightly pissed - not wasted but maybe could have phrased this post better. id just like to point out that when i say pissed im talkin about the proper british meaning and not the american one meaning "pissed off".

I really thought you would win Alex. I'm guessing people did not envision the same kind of city as you. Also it seems people were looking out more for strong melodic pieces rather than strong more ambient submissions. So, you did well, and that's what matters most.

By noisy, I am assuming that they mean the bass covers a wide spectrum, so you hear it go BOOM. With crappy speakers/headphones, it might sound crackly, but I have good headphones that handle bass well. But yes, if you want more comments from me, then I can say that... perhaps the piece could have had more of a melodic focus rather than ambience. Make it less aggressive, apparently people found it to be too fast paced for a city, but honestly I thought it worked for like a crazy club or fast car ride.

Oh, and next topic please! I hope xRisingForce is not on a vacation and unable to access the internet....

Okay, so here's what's going on. My college sent me notice that my server space is going to be removed this upcoming Wednesday. I've talked to a contact of mine and secured server space and a domain name. That should all be set up over the weekend. Hopefully, everything will be transferred and ready some time next week. Once that gets settled, we'll start the next round of CMC.