Opening a laptop?

supremespleen

My uncle wants to pop it open and try to replace the hard drive. I do not know if that is possible. Here is what he sent me. He's been unable to open it, even after taking out the screws. Can he just yank it really hard, or what?

here's the picture of the back panel of the sony laptop. the model number is vgn-a270, however there is another model number listed on the back panel... it's pcg-8r3l. not sure why there two. anyway, the picture shows that i've removed all the screws but for some reason i can't seperate the back panel from the body of the laptop. if you have any insight or know anyone who does on how to remove the panel, i'd really would appreciate it.

backpanelsonyvgna270ma6.jpg

The hard drive is probably underneath the keyboard. There's probably a plastic cover that runs underneath the screen (and may also be the same piece as the hinge covers). This is usually held on by one or two screws on the bottom and then by plastic tabs. Look for an indentation, you should be able to pry it up with a fingernail. Be careful when lifting it up as it may also be one piece with the button board/ribbon cable and if you tear that you won't be able to turn it on. Lift it up slowly and if there's a cable attached then detatch that carefully and remove the cover. There should then be a couple screws holding the keyboard down at the top. Unscrew those and gently lift the keyboard once again being careful of the cable. The ribbon cable for the keyboard either connects by a snap-in connector (pry up the edges of the connector with your fingernail) or a "pinch" connector (I don't know the technical term for it) where the end of the cable slides in between two pieces of plastic and is then 'pinched' to stay in place.

Once you have that up you should be able to get to the hard drive. Make sure to slide the drive horizontally and disconnect it completely before lifting it up (so you don't bend the connector or worse, the motherboard).

My job involves repairing laptops so if you have any more questions send me an IM.