The Deth tour

Dhsu

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/dethklok_upcoming_tour_revealed.html

http://www.ticketmaster.com/dethklok

So the tour started last week, and I'm going to the Lawrence, KS show on Sunday. Anyone interested in meeting up with me there? If you need a place to stay, I will most likely have a bed for you at my house.

Also feel free to post reviews/impressions/experiences here if you've already gone to a show.

\m/

Only two people have to do with the music on the show - apparently they only use 4 people total for live performances, which is pretty weak for death metal: http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=106461

How so? A lot of death metal bands have a four member set up. It's setup either two guitars, bass and drums and one or more of the members pulling double duty of vocals. Or it's just vocalist, guitars, bass and drums with the occasional member again pulling double duty of vocals.

I came back from the show last night and it was pretty fun. The place was packed and I have never seen the venue, Marquee Theatre that packed before and I've been there numerous times. Soilent Green was ok. They're sludge metal so they have a very blues based metal influence. I personally liked them more than Chimera which was standard metalcore chugga-chugga fodder with some minimal keyboards thrown in for atmosphere.

Dethklok themselves played flawlessly with the live band playing in tangent to the animated background. Some of the footage was previously seen and some of it was brand new like the footage for Mermaider, which was fucking awesome. At the end of the set, Brendon Small, co-creator of the series, did a little interlude performing the voices he does for the show; Nathan Explosion, Skwisgaar Skwigelf and Pickles. Basically it was standard show banter saying how great we were and how awesome the other bands were and would you like another song to be played. Either way it was cool to hear him transition between the voices so seamlessly.

The downside was that it was fucking packed, hot and sweaty. And dissent started to set into me. I felt that a lot of the people there were just posers curious as to why other metal bands, better metal bands weren't seeing such packed venues. Of course Dethklok has the advantage of having their own show and being featured in video games, it still bothered me a bit. Hopefully the popularity of the cartoon band will have people seeking more metal and see the attendance increase at shows. Especially for Arsis, they kick ass.

How so? A lot of death metal bands have a four member set up. It's setup either two guitars, bass and drums and one or more of the members pulling double duty of vocals. Or it's just vocalist, guitars, bass and drums with the occasional member again pulling double duty of vocals.

I could be a little ignorant on this, but every death metal band I have seen perform had 5 band members, with the vocalist just doing the growling and other band members supporting.

I could be a little ignorant on this, but every death metal band I have seen perform had 5 band members, with the vocalist just doing the growling and other band members supporting.

Yeah that's common, but so is a four band member set up such as Deicide, Death, Nile, Necrophagist, Abysmal Dawn, Morbid Angel, Decapitated, Anata and many others. So it really depends on what the band wants.

OH MY GOD! They actually got Gene Hoglan on drums?! That is LEGENDARY.

...Oh my god. Just...oh my god.

Just for the record I don't care what Gene Hoglan has done in the past but the drums on the Dethalbum are absolutely boring, and I've heard some live footage from this tour where his kick drum rhythm in particular sounds pretty amateur.

Why does everybody totally blow their load over this guy?

Just for the record I don't care what Gene Hoglan has done in the past but the drums on the Dethalbum are absolutely boring, and I've heard some live footage from this tour where his kick drum rhythm in particular sounds pretty amateur.

Listen to some Strapping Young Lad.

OH MY GOD! They actually got Gene Hoglan on drums?! That is LEGENDARY.

...Oh my god. Just...oh my god.

Gene Hoglan does all the drums for all of the Dethklok music. There was an awesome interview with "Dethklok" where Pickles the Drummer comments on how similar his playing is to Gene Hoglan's...

Strapping Young Lad is overrated. To really hear Gene Holgan in action, listen to Death - Symbolic. He really shines on that album.

I can't get interested in seeing Dethklok live. I should be, as I really was when it was first announced they were going to tour. And even though I can get in free, I just don't think I'll go. Same with the Rockstar Mayhem tour. I think I'm just burnt out on concerts.

Maybe you should just have better concert taste. ;) Seriously? Rockstar Mayhem Tour? Mastodon is awesome and Machine Head is good from their debut and previous two albums. Beyond that it's just garbage. However the upcoming Judas Priest/Heaven and Hell/Motorhead/Testament concert is going to fucking rock!

Ive seen both priest and motorhead, so its no big deal for me to go see them again. In fact Ive pretty much seen every band Ive ever wanted to see. Machine Head does have a few good songs off The Blackening though, but its still great to see them live just for the stuff of Burn My Eyes. Plus if you ever hang out with them, they are the greatest bunch of guys to get hammered with after a show.

And yes, strapping young lad is overrated, but live devin has the ability to make the crowd pay attention and get into it. Very few front men can do that now days. Shame he just isn't into music the same way now.

Okay, so the concert was last night. Not bad, definitely worth seeing for the extended tracks and new animation. Murmaider and Thunderhorse were epic, and they had a segment on moshing that was pretty funny even though I couldn't hear most of it.

The only thing missing was Dr. Rockso. :[

Ha, you saw Dethklok the same night I saw Maiden!