Final Fantasy IV DS

XZero

i am in nostalgic boyhood heaven. i am relishing every moment of the remake. so far up to mist, everything is amazing. seeing everything redone in 3d, and done so well, just enhances the experience so much from my imagination when i was kid. all the secret treasure chests in the waterfall in the city of baron are in tact. i couldn't ask for more from the remake.

one issue though...and its a big one, especially on this site.

the music.

the opening has a wall of static when it starts...what gives? the person who programmed the instruments from the original did not put the care into it like nobuo should be given. every time a new theme comes up i feel a bit let down. the worst so far is the town theme. i loved the original, but it sounds really bad here. but hey, the melodies are still there so its still pleasant experience...just kinda sad when compared with the rest of the game.

aside from the music, if they did another remake as good as this for ff6 on the ps3...i would die. its great to know that remakes of this caliber like this can be done. now back to the game.

I can't wait for this to come out tomorrow. I've had it preordered for almost a week now, and I plan on picking it up soon as I can and just investing myself in it. Really something for me to do considering my fractured lower back.

This really got me into video games, and rpgs especially, as well. It'll be the fifth version of FFIV I'll play, but unlike the hard-japanese or the PS1 port, it'll be completely worth the $40.

I just got Tellah and am now about to level up some before I tackle the cave to the north.

I was listening on monitor headphones and there was def static in the beggining. I like the instruments in the town theme. Although the instrument playing the bassline in the fight song was weak. The other instruments were cool though.

But yeah this is friggin awesome I feel like the clock got turned back over 15 years ago and I am playing this new friggin awesome game all over again for the first time.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

P.S. Beware of those friggin birds that inflict petrify in the beggining...bastards.

Yeah the new dialogue is great. There is a stronger focus to help develop the relationships between the characters in the dialogue which is pretty cool.

Make sure after talking to certain characters or characters associated with them to switch through all of your party members as leaders and then go to the menu. There is a lot of story development in the little thought boxes in the menu. Also alot of people in the towns and villages actually have completely new dialougue that helps to strengthen the plot as well. They really did an awesome job so far on the remake.

The battles can be tougher bc proper strategy is needed alot of times to ensure victory. This really makes for a more engrossing experience in the battles than the standard press the attack button a million times until the battle is over type of system.

I was listening on monitor headphones

why would you even need to on a DS?

I mean, seriously

Has the dialogue and plot been enhanced since the SNES/GBA versions, Avaris? I heard something that the translation and more of the original script was supposed to be in it, but I wasn't completely sure.

Very much so.

So yeah. I played this game a ton when it came out in Japan, and I even got further than the other guys who tried it in Japanese. I think I spent around 20-30 hours on it. What stopped me was some outrageous difficulty spike that occurred at the giant robot of doom. I think perhaps that it was so hard because I hadn't utilized the new ability system hardly at all up to that point, as I was not really able to fully comprehend it in Japanese. But yeah, I got to the giant robot and stopped. I wish I could somehow import my save from the Japanese one to an English copy. Oh well, such is life.

As far as the experience itself, I think that there was really only one thing that bothered me about this game. Squeenix has generally made their games so that if you level up a bunch, any characters you get after that have a similar level. And that was also true for the original version of FF4. In the remake however, they changed it. So now no matter how much leveling you do after becoming a *****Spoiler***** p*l**in on the mountain **end spoiler**, the characters you get after that come at some stupid default level. I think that it bothered me most, because I did a crazy amount of leveling and got no reward other than that Cecil was awesome. It wasn't too hard to level like that though, seeing as it was portable and I was watching a TV series I had downloaded at the same time. But still... So disappointing.

Edit: I was actually just going back and looking at my save, and right now I have 38 hours on it, and Cecil is level 80

The only knock with this game was that the original story had a pretty dark feel for a Final Fantasy game and they are using some of the cutest polygons to ever grace the DS. It's really weird. I like it, but I think maybe they could've used more serious character proportions for this kind of story.

"Massive difficulty spike?" That doesn't even begin to describe it. This game's not fucking around. Especially just after you get Rydia (Cecil's at level 12-13 depending on how much fighting you've done, she's at level 8). It doesn't matter if you put her in the back row. Some random encounters will all target her, leaving her to sustain 80+ damage when her HP is barely over 100. Last night, I finished the Underground Waterway before going to bed. The first time I got inside, I fought about 3 battles; the third one ended my game and the last half-hour of work I put into it.

FFIV DS is ridiculously difficult; enemies all attack before your party does in many occasions, and it's simply insanely hard overall. Great game, love the voice acting and the graphics (though their legs are too small), but man...

No joke. I almost got destroyed on the FIRST boss. THAT does not happen. I do kind of like the adjustment they made to Cecil's darkness ability in that he can't do just one hit against all enemies, but rather keeps it active and deals double damage each attack. That's why I put auto-potion on him, but now that I'm thinking about it, I probably should have given it to Rydia.

"Massive difficulty spike?" That doesn't even begin to describe it. This game's not fucking around. Especially just after you get Rydia (Cecil's at level 12-13 depending on how much fighting you've done, she's at level 8). It doesn't matter if you put her in the back row. Some random encounters will all target her, leaving her to sustain 80+ damage when her HP is barely over 100. Last night, I finished the Underground Waterway before going to bed. The first time I got inside, I fought about 3 battles; the third one ended my game and the last half-hour of work I put into it.

Heh, I keep getting killed by that damned sand worm.

He just kills me before I even have a chance to escape.