Final Fantasy IV DS

XZero

I finally got it like 6 hours ago, and I'm now starting up the Waterway: I just got Tellah in my party, and I'm backtracking for money and equipment for him. This remake is absolutely incredible, and I love all the extra small things they added in like Whyt, Auto-Battle mode, and the [insert Job]ingway.

God some of the counterattacks these bosses have are driving me crazy. I finally figured out how to avoid Scarmiglione's absolutely crazy status onslaught after going almost the whole fight using nothing but potions, and when I got to Cagnazzo his nasty habit of silencing everything that moves combined with the oh-so-frequent target-all Slow spells almost got me Tsunami'd a couple of times.

About to head into the Dark Elf fight now.

Wow, for all the people saying they have problems with the Dark Elf, I found him ridiculously easy. The first phase is nothing (as others have said, cast Silence and he can't do much to you) but the key is to draw it out long enough to prepare yourself for the second phase. I made sure everyone had Haste so they could act before the Dragon could, and I pumped up Yang with Focus (I made sure he had the fire-based claws on, because for some reason I still remember all the bosses' weaknesses by heart) while Cid and Cecil whittle him down. Once he transforms, unleash Yang's charged attack and have Tellah cast Firaga. If the Dragon isn't already dead, Cecil and Cid's regular attacks (with Cecil's holy paladin sword and Cid's mythril hammer) should be enough to do it.

The Tower of Zot, on the other hand, is handing mine to me. :sad:

The only boss I ever had a problem with was Mom Bomb, and that's only because I forgot to defend before she blew up.

This pissed me off more than anything. I was like, seriously? If you don't defend it basically auto-wipes your party? I mean, I figured the warning was to heal up or something, not defend now or you will take a quadrillion times more damage than you should. Gay.

This pissed me off more than anything. I was like, seriously? If you don't defend it basically auto-wipes your party? I mean, I figured the warning was to heal up or something, not defend now or you will take a quadrillion times more damage than you should. Gay.

I actually loled hard when I got wiped out. I should have been angry and pissed off but... I just loled real hard... Got back there and kicked ass right after though...

This is a great remake so far. I really enjoy the difficulty. I actually got killed during the fabul assault due to forgetting to heal regularly(and it was the last fight too...)

Barbariccia was tough, but I love using slow/protect/shell so much that it made the battle much easier.

Currently heading for Bab-il for first time. Decided to level for a while.

Barbariccia was tough, but I love using slow/protect/shell so much that it made the battle much easier.

I don't understand this. Just don't attack her so much and she's probably the easiest boss this side of the Magus Sisters (broken AI lol). Basically, Haste Yang and keep him using Focus until he's fully charged then hit her whenever she's unravelled, have Kain Jump as necessary, and leave everyone else defending/healing. She goes down in four or five hits from Yang and barely counters, so at most you have to be careful of an occasional Tornado or whatever.

Seriously, once I figured out Yang with 3 Focuses and an appropriate elemental claw does more damage than attacking four times and has the added benefit of only actually touching the enemy once, all these bosses with overpowered counterattacks became easier than a lot of random encounters.

The Dark Elf is... Difficult. Got through the first phase of the fight, then he turned into that serpent thing and used an attack that did about 600 damage to everyone, then started doing melee hits for 800+.

Cant you just tornado(or whatever that spell was) the dark elf's second form still? take it down to 1 health and then wack it?

The Dark Elf was only hard when you didn't prepare earlier on before it morphed. What you'd want to do is to have Cecil cast Protect asap and Tellah Shell. Soon after Slow then haste on Yang/Cecil/Tellah. I can't help but think of Cid as a joke member of the group :lol:

Beyond that just keep having Cecil stick to basic healing while Tellah/Yang and Cid wail on the cheap asshole :razz:

I can't help but think of Cid as a joke member of the group :lol:

Not accounting for elemental weaknesses, Cid was my heaviest hitter in the Tower of Zot. If he had more options for equipment and had as much HP as Cecil and Yang I would probably say he was the best at that point in the game.

Not accounting for elemental weaknesses, Cid was my heaviest hitter in the Tower of Zot. If he had more options for equipment and had as much HP as Cecil and Yang I would probably say he was the best at that point in the game.

I meant in just a comical way. Cid has his merits of course but still I can't help but think of him as a joke character.

Almost like how in Persona 3/FES there were joke weapons. A toy baseball bat with spikes is one of the most powerful weapons in the game, For goodness sake SOCK PUPPETS were one of the most powerful glove/boxing weapons in the game. :lol: :lol: :lol:

In Cid's case, he just makes me laugh :lol:

To start off, this post has some spoilers, so don't read if you haven't played FFIV before...

I'm just sad that they made it so that when Cecil first becomes a paladin, you could no longer just kill off all your temporary characters and then level Cecil to 50-75, and then have all of your permanent characters come in at your level (except for edge, he always comes in at lvl 20). I found it mildly hilarious when my brother leveled Cecil up to 75 only to find that Yang came back at only level 20-ish.

Of course I suppose that being level 75 a quarter way through the game ruins some of the fun...

Of course I suppose that being level 75 a quarter way through the game ruins some of the fun...

If grinding in a single player game so you can beat the next boss and move the damn story along is your idea of fun, there is something wrong.