FF7-Mako Reactor

HoboKa

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/gngq/FF7Remix_At-What-Cost

Finally! A non snes remix :D, but an over remixed song, oh well ^^

Thoughts?

UPDATE:

http://www.tindeck.com/audio/my/xlso/FF7Remix_At-What-Cost_ver.06_half_done

sound levels on 2nd half are brutal but I just want to know if this is heading in the right direction composition wise (got better drum samples too :D)

This is sounding pretty cool. I like the intro-ing low pads a lot. The bell sounds for the main melody are really quite horrible though. I would suggest adding some more reverb or delay on them along with making them slightly louder. the really cool synth that kind of plays the outtro of what you have now should be more in the limelight as a main riff, being as how its probably the most interesting sound you have. The violin pads you have going on sound really good and give it a good moody sound. Otherwise, I would suggest just adding on to it and add another instrument for a second verse. Good job so far.

Not long enough to give an accurate review as to its content, just the production (for what's present), so out goes the checklist for now.

Production-wise it sounds pretty decent, though perhaps a few instruments are overpowering some of the others and drowning them out. Mostly the strings, in my view.

The above comments about the bells sound about right, but I don't think that'd clear up my issue with them entirely; they just sound low quality. Also, I hear a few miscues, most notably at :59 (the backing striking synth that almost sounds like pizzicato).

I had to see what other people did with this song.

I'm digging it. The beginning was nice, but it felt really unconnected to the rest. Maybe you can work on the transition. The bells were ok, but I felt like something drastic might be needed to be done to them. Like some heavy distortion, or unison with a synth or something to make that melody stand out. I actually had problems with the bells in our remix (sephfire did the arrangement, but somehow he's got this remixing quirk where he likes to leave out the main melodies....so I made sure to put that in). Any synths or bells I was using sounded lame, so I actually just sampled the original song. I did some EQing and whatnot to get as much of the other instrument sounds from the original out of the audio snippet and put some distortion on.

thanks for comments guys ^^.

I'm gonna vary up my drums and change my crappy FPC samples to decent ones from a volume pack I got. I'll bother with EQing and stuff later when it's composed, just wanted to see if this is worth investing in - which seems to indeed be :D

BTW gonna add another transition into the Shin-Ra theme :D

I had to see what other people did with this song.

I'm digging it. The beginning was nice, but it felt really unconnected to the rest. Maybe you can work on the transition. The bells were ok, but I felt like something drastic might be needed to be done to them. Like some heavy distortion, or unison with a synth or something to make that melody stand out. I actually had problems with the bells in our remix (sephfire did the arrangement, but somehow he's got this remixing quirk where he likes to leave out the main melodies....so I made sure to put that in). Any synths or bells I was using sounded lame, so I actually just sampled the original song. I did some EQing and whatnot to get as much of the other instrument sounds from the original out of the audio snippet and put some distortion on.

Wow, the great SGX likes something I made :D

Yeah I think I found a way to make them bells less cheesy. And maybe I should drag some1 else in this project too lol.

FPC isn't crappy in my opinion, it probably does not fit the atmosphere you have.

First of all, it's way too loud post 30 seconds. It's practically a clipping-fest post 30 seconds. However, you have good ideas and decent cohesion, so it can fixed if you balance it to be quieter. I hope you didn't just slap on a maximus preset, because the quality is completely distorted past 1:00.

Now the nit-picky stuff..

I'd say the pizzicato could be sampled better, but it's acceptable, beginning is well done otherwise. The sound effect at 28 seconds needs to be EQ'ed, I find it fairly painful. Can't really say anything past that, it's too distorted to tell what's going on due to volume.