Mega Man X6 'Eternity' (Infinity Mijinion)

Bren

CURRENTLY WORKING ON:

-drums (less repetitive)

-vocals (unsure if I'll be using them)

-non-fadeout ending (again, unsure if Ill use it)

-EQ (re-working levels of leads and bass)

WIP 1

WIP 2

WIP 2.5 (quick fix)

(man I have such a bad habit of submitting -then- posting in this forum. Either way, I'm still working on this song as it's already been submitted, since I'm now finding things to improve upon. I still would like feedback from the community though.)

Something I finally decided to get working on. I've wanted to remix this song for a very long time, so here it is. It's a chilled out remix of Infinity Mijinion's stage, but still energetic.

In case you're not familiar with the original, here's a slightly compressed recording I found on YouTube

(You might have to open it in a new tab/window. For me it won't play on the forum for some reason, but it definitely still is available on YT)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F9BIIF2CxIU]

Sweet mix dude! I have deep appreciation for the X4,X5,X6 soundtracks; they don't get enough love here. I might even mix a song myself. Anyway, I like what you have done with this, but I do think the piano is a bit too mellow and calm to fit in with the rest of the mix, especially with that sweet guitar intro. One thing you could do is start with the piano only and build up to the guitar later; that way the listener isn't left waiting for something even more extreme.

Like I said, though, it's really sweet. Keep it up!

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the sourcewriting)

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Unrealistic sequencing

[X] Drums have no energy

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Too repetitive

PERSONAL COMMENTS

I'll start with the good:

-Clear soundfield and pretty well-balanced mixing

-Pretty cool intro with that horn solo. I'd really like to know what sample that is

-Good use of pads to fill out the soundscape

Here's the stuff that needs improving:

-First and foremost, arrangment. This sticks to a very similar flow to the original, most noteably in the intro. You're using similar instrument choices (or doing a 1 to 1 conversion to your own instruments), same key, same beat, chords, etc. You need to take this song and try to personalize and interpret it further to fit into OCR guidelines.

-Second, some of the instruments used seem like a downgrade from the original. You're choosing to use guitars other instruments similar to the original, but your guitar samples sound fakey vs. the more realistic and complex original. When the drums come in, they immediately go into autopilot for the rest of the song - no changes or fills. The kick is barely present (I actually just realized it was 4 on the floor at 1:30, I couldn't tell before) and the snare is very hissy with no mid-range body to it.

-I wasn't really feeling this fadeout or the ending. It was a pretty drawnout fade and, while it works in other music, I don't think it does this genre justice. Try and come up with something interesting to end on.

Hope this helps.

Version 2

I fixed a number of mentioned issues.

-The bass drums have been boosted

-Mid and High end percussion have been tweaked via EQ to give them more energy

-Percussion is also more varied (though I think I heard a mistake in sequencing in the render, Ill have to check that)

-Changed some leads at certain areas, specifically with the solo guitar. It should sound a lot better now.

-Other EQ balance issues have also been worked on.

-Shortened the ending fadeout.

About the fadeout and conservative nature of the mix:

I'm not sure if I want to write an actual ending for this mix yet. I personally think the fadeout sounds fine as is. But that's still up in the air, so I might try something to see how it goes.

As for being conservative, that was purposeful. I always have some level of conservativeness in my mixes, but I don't think this one is -too- conservative. I just decided to keep certain phrases from the original because I always think the mix should still sound like the original so it still has nostalgic value, but different enough so it counts as a mix.

The original is probably one of the top 3 songs from the X6 soundtrack for me, so it was interesting to hear your take on it. Now I listened to it in hi-fi, but I couldn't actually download it, meaning that listening to the original on my media player with amplified bass and effects made it sound better.

The arrangement has tremendous potential, but I agree with Nutritious in terms of improvements. The drums don't sound bad, but they could use more variety. The one part that was kind of disappointing was the guitar solo in the middle. The original was thoroughly kick ass; yours was great, but I think as a remix it should take the game of the original and go pro. I don't know what capabilities you have in terms of procuring a strong guitar solo for that section, but I think adding that to the electronica nature of the song could really improve upon it.

Last note: the ending fadeout thing; I know you stuck with it for both versions, but personally, I'd lose it for something with more kick. If you are able to implement a live guitar or better samples, maybe ending on that would help. Just a recommendation.

Overall, I enjoyed listening to this mix. You have talent, and this track has, as noted above, lots of potential. Amp up the execution and it'll definitely be OC worthy. Hopy my comments were helpful, and I look forward to hearing what you do with it from here! Good luck!

The original is probably one of the top 3 songs from the X6 soundtrack for me, so it was interesting to hear your take on it. Now I listened to it in hi-fi, but I couldn't actually download it, meaning that listening to the original on my media player with amplified bass and effects made it sound better.

The arrangement has tremendous potential, but I agree with Nutritious in terms of improvements. The drums don't sound bad, but they could use more variety. The one part that was kind of disappointing was the guitar solo in the middle. The original was thoroughly kick ass; yours was great, but I think as a remix it should take the game of the original and go pro. I don't know what capabilities you have in terms of procuring a strong guitar solo for that section, but I think adding that to the electronica nature of the song could really improve upon it.

Last note: the ending fadeout thing; I know you stuck with it for both versions, but personally, I'd lose it for something with more kick. If you are able to implement a live guitar or better samples, maybe ending on that would help. Just a recommendation.

Overall, I enjoyed listening to this mix. You have talent, and this track has, as noted above, lots of potential. Amp up the execution and it'll definitely be OC worthy. Hopy my comments were helpful, and I look forward to hearing what you do with it from here! Good luck!

Oh, That's lame! they made it so you have to sign up to download.

*shakes fist at soundclick*

Thank you for your comments and suggestions though. I like the idea of changing the solo at the end to more electronica based.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had a brainstorm. Not sure if I'm going to do this yet, but I'm thinking of writing lyrics to this and singing them as Zero. Talking about his life story etc. Only problem is I suck at writing lyrics (and singing). Anyway, I guess this is just a self-reminder for the time being.

I might ask around at some point for help writing lyrics if I cant seem to come up with any on my own, though for now I think I'd like to give it a shot.

I think the drums could be a bit groovier, and have fills and stuff. Also, the constant pad kind of makes for an unchanging sound, a more dynamic arrangement would be sweet.

It seems like it has great potential. I never got a chance to play anything past X4, shame they didn't release the other ones for the PC.

True about the drums. That's always the part I hate working on most, because to be honest, I don't have a very good sense of writing percussive elements.

• 2 weeks later...

I love that you are trying to mix this, but really, it comes off sounding like cheap knockoff of the real one at times. :E

It sounds really good in parts, it just overall doesn't stand up to the original track and doesn't sound distinct enough to seperate it from the original track. What you have going is really nice, but some of the ideas like messing with the little fanfare in the beginning come off sounding a little amateurish.

I love that you are trying to mix this, but really, it comes off sounding like cheap knockoff of the real one at times. :E

It sounds really good in parts, it just overall doesn't stand up to the original track and doesn't sound distinct enough to seperate it from the original track. What you have going is really nice, but some of the ideas like messing with the little fanfare in the beginning come off sounding a little amateurish.

Personal taste and opinion isn't a factor in the judging process last time I checked...oh wait...

anyway, this post comes off sounding to me like a cheap way to bash a track without offering any decent advice or criticism.

Personal taste and opinion isn't a factor in the judging process last time I checked...oh wait...

anyway, this post comes off sounding to me like a cheap way to bash a track without offering any decent advice or criticism.

:(

I'm not bashing the track, I'm just worried it's not going to fare well on the judges panel due to the fact that it's not really that distinct from the original, and given that the original track is already well produced and whatnot, it's alot more difficult to pull a mix like this off.

You've made one admiral effort, I love the track save for the solo in the intro, however at times the track bleeds too much into the original, and given that the soundscape is more or less unchanged, when you go into source material segments it sounds like you are listening to the original song with minor changes. I would suggest maybe changing up the instrumentation of the piece, as the arrangement is there, it's just that the instrumentation follows too close to the original.

I hope this track makes it to the site, as I love X6's soundtrack. You just picked a beast of a track to work with XD.

:(

I'm not bashing the track, I'm just worried it's not going to fare well on the judges panel due to the fact that it's not really that distinct from the original, and given that the original track is already well produced and whatnot, it's alot more difficult to pull a mix like this off.

You've made one admiral effort, I love the track save for the solo in the intro, however at times the track bleeds too much into the original, and given that the soundscape is more or less unchanged, when you go into source material segments it sounds like you are listening to the original song with minor changes. I would suggest maybe changing up the instrumentation of the piece, as the arrangement is there, it's just that the instrumentation follows too close to the original.

I hope this track makes it to the site, as I love X6's soundtrack. You just picked a beast of a track to work with XD.

Ah, ok. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

• 3 weeks later...