Mega Man X5 'Golden Sun'

Retsej

An almost done piece. I just want to gather a few comments before I finish it up, such as are the transitions rough at all or should any part be cut out? My biggest decision is how to end this. Should I go back to the original theme or stick with the Saturos Battle theme? Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Sources: Mega Man X5 - "X vs Zero"

Golden Sun - "Set Sail"

Golden Sun - "Battle Against Saturos"

http://www.prism.gatech.edu/~gth669h/Duel%20of%20the%20Heroes.mp3

I think before you go too indepth with details, you should take a step back and address an overarching problem with your samples here.

What you've got is a VERY brass heavy arrangement, which means that you're going to need some really strong brass samples to pull something like this off. Unfortunately, as it stands, these samples aren't cutting it. Some are clicking well - like the french horns, perhaps the trombones too. But the trumpets are really killing this. Lots of high end resonation on them. That's gotta be your number one focus right now, though honestly, good brass samples (especially for a piece this aggressive) are very difficult to find.

Beyond that, even though I'm not familiar with the sources, the arrangement sounds pretty cool. This could really use some dynamic contrast though as the whole piece is pretty loud.

If you can get beyond these two major issues (I say "if" because the brass issue is a very difficult thing to overcome) then we can focus more on transitions and details.

www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=R1udNPdKLoM (X vs Zero theme)

I'm not familiar with Saturos's theme, but I don't quite understand the connection between the two themes. To me it sounds like two different arrangements. Not that that's a bad thing, it just seems like an odd juxtaposition.

Aside from that, your mix definitely needs some EPIC drums going on, since this is obviously an epic-style mix. I think some nice strong orchestral percussion would do this work worlds of good.

• 2 weeks later...

Brass instruments are not clean by nature, thus I like the imperfect samples, makes it sound more authentic, in my opinion. Drums need to be brought out a tad, especially the lower drums. Ending needs a little work, as well. Seems kind of anti-climatic compared to the rest of the arrangement.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, the samples definitely need some upgrading. As for what you can use, I'd go with "The 64mb Sound Site Album Bank v1.0." Only issue with that is that the trumpet samples aren't too great. But, I'm also assuming that you're able to us soundfonts. If you can and don't feel like looking it up, let me know and I'll upload it somewhere for you to download.

Another thing about your arrangement is lack of drums. Now, I realize this is an orchestrated piece, but adding in a drum-set of some sort would help it. Crossing genre's can actually help a piece...I think. I do it all the time. lol

Personally, I'd like to hear this mixed with some metal (for the drums) and some electronica, especially with Saturos's theme. Saturos = Badass, so a Badass character needs some Badass music. But you seem to have a good idea of what you want. Just get some drum-set in there to get it that "drive."

I always liked my sound samples due to the fact they sound very real. :tomatoface:

Personally, I'd like to hear this mixed with some metal (for the drums) and some electronica, especially with Saturos's theme. Saturos = Badass, so a Badass character needs some Badass music. But you seem to have a good idea of what you want. Just get some drum-set in there to get it that "drive."

Sounds good. Any sample sets, programs, or soundfonts you can recommend?

I'm going to have to go with the majority and say these Brass samples are *way* too weak for what you're going for here. "X Vs. Zero" is a very powerful and tough sounding track, and as Nutritious said, your Trumpet samples are just too weak to properly convey it. Obviously this can be fixed as he suggested.

Moreover, your transition during "Set Sail" to "Saturos's Battle Theme" is a bit too aimless for the piece and breaks up the flow. The transition is an interesting idea, but it ends up feeling aimless compared to the two powerful pieces it's sandwiched between. It's like having a thin slice of meat between two kaiser rolls, and it really doesn't breathe much life into the piece.

The ending doesn't finish strongly either, which is a bit of a downer considering the source materials. Find a way to creatively bring Saturos's Battle Theme to a climatic head, then bring it down in an epic way to match the energy present.

The other issue I take with the song in general is I don't really feel it takes enough liberties with the material to inject a better sense of self, if you would. Essentially what we have is a brass cover medley with some good ideas. Now, what I would recommend is focus on the epic sounds of both battle tracks, attempt to flesh them out by making the song more pulsing and blood-pumping. A good place to try this might be in the more deliberate, slower parts of Saturos's Battle Theme where you keep the tempo going with some variation on the notes to have the sound remain even with the earlier portions.

I really think you're on to something here. I love all three of the original tracks a great deal, and it's cool to see someone working with them. Some elbow grease and polish could really make the idea come to life. Better sampling is the first step, then you should focus on keeping a more "epic" feel throughout and you could have a battle theme to really be proud of.