Mega Man 9

lazygecko

On the upside, making Mega Man 9 NOT the game that bridges the gap means that Capcom can experiment with the Classic series and not have too big expectations from the fanbase - if only to perfect their formula for the gap-ending title.

http://protodudesrockmancorner.blogspot.com/

-Rockman 9 will feature a retro 8-bit art style, a homage to the earlier games.

-Two playable characters: Rockman and Blues (ProtoMan). Each has their own unique storylines.

- A popular belief is that RM9 will act as the 'link' to the events of the X Series. This is not so, The storyline DOES NOT lead into the X Series, rather it's a 'traditional' plot.

-Many new characters, new Robot Masters and maybe some new supporting characters.

-Gameplay is reminiscent of Rockman 3-6.

-Online components: Leader boards and some unknown form of online play

-RM9 will be on all major home consoles: Wii, X360 and PS3. X360 and PS3 users will be able to purchase the game from their respective download services. It's unknown how the Wii version will work, whether it will be a downloaded game or not

Still, you can't help but feel that Capcom is treating it like a second-rate title by making it a downloadable title.

Why? They haven't done something new for the original Blue Bomber for years. They haven't trusted his selling power. Downloadable content sounds completely logical from a company stand point.

It's 8-bit, so I'm not as worried as I would have been had they continued in the PlayStation's style.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing old Robot Masters return. In fact, I'd like it for a lot of the earliest ones. They're easily identified and already famous. Though it'd be nice to see later ones get a new treatment too, like Freeze Man or Wave Man.

Though truthfully, a Mega Man 9's been something I've been waiting for for a long time, and playable Proto Man would be awesome. But... what about Bass? He should be playable too. I dunno. This all sounds a little too good to be true, and if it is, it's disappointing that Capcom isn't taking their *star character* to the highest level possible. Hell, this could be the chance to utterly revive Mega Man Classic, and could completely revitalize Mega Man X in the process, if they make the game dynamite. But as it stands, I don't know if these rumors illustrate this possibility.

Guess it's a big wait and see.

I'm kind of hoping the 8-bit style choice is what it actually is. The 8-bit games (and the first 3 X games) tended to control better than 7, 8, and X4-8. The kind-of-overhead-but-not-really gameplay of 8 really bothered me. Seeing the stage from the side is drastically easier to judge jumps than seeing it from above. If they are indeed serious about this, they have to take it all the way:

8-bit graphics

8-bit cutscenes (ala Mega Man VI, not full cutscenes)

8-bit music, stylistically similar to the originals

8-bit gameplay, made perfect by turning one's Wii-mote on its side

Capcom, how much 8-bit can you squeeze into a WiiWare downloadable or a 360 Live Arcade/PS3 download? This game better kick ass.

8-bit graphics

8-bit cutscenes (ala Mega Man VI, not full cutscenes)

8-bit music, stylistically similar to the originals

8-bit gameplay, made perfect by turning one's Wii-mote on its side

Capcom, how much 8-bit can you squeeze into a WiiWare downloadable or a 360 Live Arcade/PS3 download? This game better kick ass.

The issue you have with sticking exclusively to 8-bit is that you severely isolate a great deal of the gaming market outside of the extremely hardcore fans of Mega Man Classic. Many, dare I even go so far as to say, *most* Mega Man fans that are still active in the fandom started with X or later, with many more who started on Battle Network as well (unfortunately). 8-Bit gaming with MOST of the modern video gaming market is beyond obsolete borderlining into archaic. While this would be very true to the Mega Man mythos, it is an utter and total regression in game, graphic, and sound design. There's a reason why things aren't done that way: it's not impressive anymore.

That's not to say there's nothing to learn from it, though. The Mega Man series has *refined* its own platforming since Classic and has some of the best goddamn 2-D platforming in gaming in the Zero and ZX series. The thing you REALLY want to do is use the mechanics from those games as a model while keeping the spirit, attitude, and mindset from Classic. The updated graphics, physics, music, and gameplay will *far* better serve to make the game a breakout hit and bring it to more markets beyond Classic's rather limited hardcore base.

Truthfully, making a fully 8-bit game would be pretty cop-out in my opinion. A bonus mode in 8-bit? Sure, I'm all over it. But to make Mega Man 9 truly great (both stylistically and in sales), they really need to update Mega Man's mechanics to the 21st century.

^ While I agree that Zero and ZX are in many ways the pinnacle of Mega Man action, the open world (especially in ZX) annoyed me. It was all just busy work, feeling very forced and unrewarding, and offered no decent alternative to a stage select screen IMO. Here's hoping that this game (along with further iterations) will maintain stage select.

Are we forgetting why Megaman went stale? Too many games without a significant gameplay change. As well as trouble coming up with new names. I'll admit, I haven't played anything past seven, but a few things need to be changed about the series:

A slight increase in mobility (I don't want anything near what X offered, but a slight boost would be nice).

A different way of connecting the eight Robot Masters that does not involve the typical "select eight worlds"--I'd prefer them to be connected in a more metroid style. Still, keep order selection in there.

More weapons that aren't simply guns. MM5 experiment with having a slid attack, which was cool. But eight guns is a bit much--very few MM games made you want to use them all (I can only think of MM1, MM2 and MMX that managed this).

I love the first few megaman games, but they really need to fix things up.

Are we forgetting why Megaman went stale? Too many games without a significant gameplay change. As well as trouble coming up with new names. I'll admit, I haven't played anything past seven, but a few things need to be changed about the series:

A slight increase in mobility (I don't want anything near what X offered, but a slight boost would be nice).

A different way of connecting the eight Robot Masters that does not involve the typical "select eight worlds"--I'd prefer them to be connected in a more metroid style. Still, keep order selection in there.

More weapons that aren't simply guns. MM5 experiment with having a slid attack, which was cool. But eight guns is a bit much--very few MM games made you want to use them all (I can only think of MM1, MM2 and MMX that managed this).

I love the first few megaman games, but they really need to fix things up.

ZX kinda did all of that

As did Zero

As did Battle network (even with the hate)

As did the platformer Battle network

Are we forgetting why Megaman went stale? Too many games without a significant gameplay change. As well as trouble coming up with new names. I'll admit, I haven't played anything past seven,

Stop right there. Your entire post falls apart right there. You haven't played anything past a game that came out in 1995, therefore you basically have no business talking about what Capcom needs to do to evolve the series. :roll:

I'll admit, I haven't played anything past seven

I'll put this as simply as I possibly can: You're missing half the series, not to mention Megaman Zero series, one of the BEST to come out, in all sorts of categories that Megaman fits into.

I'll correct that then. I haven't played Megaman 8. I was referring to the original series. I also haven't played most of the unnumbered megaman games.

I have however, beaten Megaman X1-6. But as I said, I was talking about he original series.

So, as I have played most of the ORIGINAL series, I consider myself quite fit to comment on making a game in line with the original series. That would mean, you know, not making a Megaman Zero game under the guise of the original Megaman.

"Flame first, ask questions later" is a dangerous policy. Especially when you're playing a FPS with friendly fire.

I'll correct that then. I haven't played Megaman 8. I was referring to the original series. I also haven't played most of the unnumbered megaman games.

I have however, beaten Megaman X1-6. But as I said, I was talking about he original series.

So, as I have played most of the ORIGINAL series, I consider myself quite fit to comment on making a game in line with the original series.

Nope, because you still haven't played the last two in the original series--Mega Man 8 and Mega Man & Bass--the latter of which included two playable characters with different gameplay styles and branching stage selection. You can't comment on how the series needs to evolve when you haven't played the two games in the series that actually made an attempt to change things up.

"Flame first, ask questions later" is a dangerous policy. Especially when you're playing a FPS with friendly fire.

Nobody flamed you. Also, nobody is playing an FPS. This is a forum. Your analogy is a pretty poor attempt at cleverness.

I think it could be kind of interesting to see a game with 8-bit visuals but with Mega Man Zero-esque gameplay. I've come to regard 8-bit visuals at their best not so much as an "inferior" step towards 16-bit visuals, but rather as a distinctive visual style in their own right, in the same way that an artist might intentionally work with a monochromatic color palette or other limitations to achieve a particular visual effect.

If these rumors are true, it seems like Capcom might be thinking along those same lines: to stop thinking about 8-bit visuals as an obstacle and instead as a style.

I consider myself quite fit to comment on making a game in line with the original series.

Ha, then I consider myself the King of Scotland.

Mega Man 8 and Mega Man and Bass took the series in fairly different directions, yet maintained that "Mega Man feel". If you haven't seen the changes they brought, you're still quite unfit to criticize the Mega Man series. Even games in line with the original series.

Everything you described in your first post almost perfectly matched the ZX games. That alone demonstrates your lack of knowledge, and inability to make a properly formed opinion.

And don't play the victim and whine about flaming. No one flamed you. Such behavior is childish.