Mega Man 9

lazygecko

If Mega Man 8 had been an NES title I could sort of understand this move. But I think this marks the first time that a sequel for a game has been released for an earlier system (or emulated earlier system...).

Rockman and forte/ mega man and bass came out for the SNES after mega man 8 was made for the ps1. Although I guess you wouldn't call it a sequel exactly...

By the same token, with the advent of virtual console, kids are getting exposed to old school games again. Don't forget about Mega Man Anniversary Collection either.

That doesn't mean they're buying & playing them - there's a guy I'm currently tutoring, and he hasn't played any Mega Man game. He plays a lot of games daily and certainly isn't in a bad off family (i.e. a family that buys him a good deal of stuff). The younger generations generally seem more entertained by 3D than anything else.

Yeah, the Classic series wasn't really known for it's pages of dialogue, so it shouldn't take that long. I'm wondering if this title shows the fate of Mega Man, Bass, etc in relation to the start of the X series. Maybe even a cameo shot of X or Zero in production before both the Doctor's die? I can buy the Mega Man/Quint time loop theory if I have to, but I don't believe the GB games are considered canon. Any thoughts?

What's really irritating about this is that they're so committed to keeping everything the way it was that they're neglecting to change some of the stuff that was bad about it. Specifically, the idea of a non-scrolling screen. I HATE HATE HATE a screen that moves before Megaman can continue moving. It throws off my rythm and I have to readjust for where he is on the new screen. And since in these games every screen invariably has something shooting at you, that can cost you precious health.

ZeroBass.Exe, it's been confirmed that the storyline will be of the classic variety, and won't feature any connections to the X series (a major disappointment).

The Pezman, I think, at this point, the pre-scrolling screen is seen as part of the classic formula, so I can't see why they'd remove it now.

It's classic NES Mega Man as we left him after 6, and so you've got a team more concerned at the moment with copying rather than innovating. If 9 does well, hopefully a Mega Man 10 will continue with tweaking and stylistic progression as if the series never jumped consoles.

ZeroBass.Exe, it's been confirmed that the storyline will be of the classic variety, and won't feature any connections to the X series (a major disappointment)

Argh that was the only reason I cared about this.

Edit: Wait, where is the proof. Please.

I don't think it's safe to assume things based off of the little information we have, but I don't see anything wrong with predictions. I think that making an 8-bit game in the year 2008 is the very definition of innovation. Also, I'm thinking that there will be tons of surprises. Judging by the flat rotation of Mega Man around that platform, I'm thinking there will be some 8-bit nostalgic humor thrown in much like in the Paper Mario games.

Argh that was the only reason I cared about this.

Edit: Wait, where is the proof. Please.

I'm sorry, but I don't have the interview in my Nintendo Power with me at the moment. I won't get to see it again until thursday. But that's where I found out.

I really hope that a tie-in with the X series isn't the only thing you'd find interesting about this game. Aren't you more influenced by a deep love/reverence for the Classic series? Isn't curiosity for a previously unheard of brand new 8 bit title a bigger draw for you?