Mega Man 9

lazygecko

I first got Legends in its N64 incarnation. I got myself hyped up for it by playing through Mega Man 6 and Mega Man X (I don't think I owned any of the others at the time; this was in January 2001, and my collection vastly expanded thereafter). When the fateful day came, I rushed out to EBX after getting out of school early on a half-day to pick up my reserved copy. I got home, popped it in, and sat back with my controller. The game looked ... alright, though I was kind of expecting it to not look so hot since I knew it was a PS1 game. Then those voices. Oh god, those voices. I had these memories of Ian Corlette from the cartoon, so I figured he would sound somewhat like that. I was so disappointed. Nothing was like I expected it to be. The music was terrible, sacrificing the amazing melodies from the classic and X series for this wannabe RPG garbage that had no place in Mega Man.

Anyway, I played it for a few hours that day, not really getting too far. I gave up, only to come back to it two or so weeks later. After I beat the first big boss in the city, there was this point where I just wanted to keep playing. I was suddenly hooked, almost enlightened. These terrible departures from my expectations made sense all of a sudden. I now own the original PS1 release (as well as its underrated sequel), and I really cherish those games. I'm actually listening to my Legends soundtrack CD right now.

While I'm still a bigger fan of the classic games (1-6, kind of 7, and 9) and the early X games (1-4), Legends will always have a place in my heart as the game that grew on me and caused me to love it.

I have the 64 version and liked it just fine. But I have heard the PS1 version was much better.

oh yeah mega man seven too since its the best one in the classic series

Either that one, 8, or 3.

I even liked some Network games even though they were arguably the toughest Megaman games ever created... Network is like pure torture even for Megaman fans.

Those weren't so bad. BN2 was REALLY good, 3 was awesome. After that it turned into crap.

You're talking to a guy who has owned both MML and MML2 since the day they were released.

I was seriously hyped about MML, and I wasn't disappointed. Love those games, hate Inafune for ignoring them.

Actually, I believe somewhere Inafune stated that the Legends titles were his favorites. MegaMan from Legends, Servbots, and Tron Bonne have cameoed in a lot of Capcom's other games, so I think Inafune really loves the Legends series. Last I heard, he's actually been trying his damndest to get a Legends 3 going, but the Capcom brass won't have it considering the Legends series underperformed in sales. Rumor has it he's trying to stockpile enough cash to make one eventually. And if Mega Man 9 performs well in sales, who knows what the Capcom brass might let him do.

But I agree. I got started on Legends in the N64 version, and while I know you don't like it, Nekofrog, it did get me hooked on the series. I never found a copy of the original Legends for the PS1, but I did get my hands on Legends 2 and haven't regretted it. The characters were great and the games were a blast to play. My only complaint is how utterly short they were. Yes, there was lots of exploring, but the story itself was very small in scope comparatively speaking.

Good times. And I gotta get my hands on Mega Man 9 now that it's out.

X up to 4. Zero is meh, ZX is shit (both of them), Soccer is great but not a real Mega Man game, and Legends is great.

So after the 80s, there was a small handful of GOOD MM games, compared to piles and piles of shitty MM games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mega_Man_games

Mega Man 3 came out in 1990 and there were really only 2 MM games that came out in the 80's.

Personally, I thought Zero was good, but would have been much better if they just stuck to a simple stage select (same with MMZX). Also a big WTF for all the boss names in MMX5 and on that didn't stick to the MMX series' naming conventions.

I never thought nostalgia goggles would work on a new game, but I guess we've reached that point

Bleck, hating popular things doesn't make you popular--or likable, for that matter.

If, for some bizarre reason you genuinely don't like Mega Man 9, but you like the other ones...I refuse to believe you. :razz:

Mega Man 3 came out in 1990 and there were really only 2 MM games that came out in the 80's.

Personally, I thought Zero was good, but would have been much better if they just stuck to a simple stage select (same with MMZX). Also a big WTF for all the boss names in MMX5 and on that didn't stick to the MMX series' naming conventions.

3 was okay, and the regular MM games after 3 were outright bad. 6 especially.

Those weren't so bad. BN2 was REALLY good, 3 was awesome. After that it turned into crap.

I agree. I was trying to reference some of the Battle Network games' difficulty levels.

As for MM3-6, I personally loved them. MM4 I could argue is possibly the best conventional Megaman game they could possibly make with the charge beam and slide working so well, even if Rush is downgraded. MM6 was fantastic IMO because of the crazy suit powers.

Um....MMMZ 2 through 4 went back to the stage select. I've been working on beating that series (borrowed all 4 from a friend), and I've found it enjoyable. The story throughout the series isn't half bad as they obviously thought up a lot of it before the first game was done. I played ZX for a few minutes and found it fun. I'm going to get to it at some point.

So uh, does anyone know if PSN games are released at midnight?

Because I'm pretty pumped to play Mega Man 9, and it's after midnight here, and it still isn't available...

PSN can update at anytime from 2pm EDT* up to 11pm EDT*...At least, this has been my experience. Given that some big releases are scheduled for this day, it could be a late update.

~Brandon

*9am to 6pm GMT

Um....MMMZ 2 through 4 went back to the stage select.

I actually only played MMZ and none of its sequels, so I'm pretty glad to hear it. I'll have to go back to play MMZ2-4 at some point. Thanks for the info :).

As for Mega Man 3-6, I really liked 3, loved 4, 5 was good, and 6 was not bad IMO. I don't think I ever beat 7 (never owned an SNES), and despite not liking the extra goofy cartooniness of 8 I thought it was a lot of fun. Mega Man X-X4 is really where it's at, though.

Anyway, best friend is coming up tomorrow, so we'll finally play through MM9. Watched the vid on the Nintendo Channel again...so damn excited!

PSN can update at anytime from 2pm EDT* up to 11pm EDT*...At least, this has been my experience. Given that some big releases are scheduled for this day, it could be a late update.

~Brandon

*9am to 6pm GMT

Alright cool cool, thanks man. Thisis the first time I've actually waited for something to be released on the network, so i had no idea what was going on.

Capcom has a deal with all three console makers, I swear it. That's why they put out a game that will make you break your controllers on all three systems.

FUCK YOU, MEGA MAN 9! FUCK YOU AND GO TO HELL!

Three days trying to get past one boss... I knew I wasn't very good at Mega Man games, but god DAMN it, this is just frustrating.

Thank god you can save up your bolts and buy extra stuff by going through the levels over and over again and buy extra lives and E-cans. Save games are the only thing keeping me from blowing my brains out on this game.