The Concert Thread

Bahamut

Just metal shows.

One I'm probably excited for the most is probably Vader and Decrepit Birth headlining with Augury, The Amenta, and Warbringer, Nov 20. I'm especially excited for Augury.

Next up: Belphegor, The Absence, Amon Amarth and Ensiferum in San Francisco!

I saw Ensiferum a couple months ago and it was an awesome experience. 90% of the people were drunk, and they still moshed, but it was the most jovial mosh pit I ever saw. People had their arms around eachother and were singing (yelling) along to the songs and headbanging like crackpot Irish drunkards, prancing around, patting eachother on the back like buds and getting crazy and rowdy rather than brutal and violent in the pit. Mainly during the really upbeat Celtic parts. Then during the thrashy parts it was your typical pit. I loved it.

Also Petri Lindroos is pretty damn tall for a Finn. Also pay close attention to their bassist's bass guitar. The workmanship on that thing is amazing.

Wes, that must see list is an exact copy of mine!

I am looking up tours for those bands now. If any of them come to western Canada, I may be able to cap off an already excellent year for concerts. Otherwise I'll have to move my ass to Vancouver so I can at least catch whatever swings Seattle's way...

I just got back from Distant Worlds. It was worth the flights that's for sure. Great show!

Just got back from seeing All That Remains. Pretty good show. My girlfriend and I missed the opening act, Taking Dawn but we heard a bit of their last song while we were outside getting our tickets and it sounded pretty shitty. The next band up, whose name I can't remember, had a southern rock feel toward it but with -core influences i.e. breakdowns and screaming vocals. I like the southern rock parts but hated the -core aspect. Ironic considering that I like ATR, but the southern rock didn't have to be muddled up with -core elements. My girlfriend dubbed them a 'chick band' because chicks would be into them.

Next up was Lacuna Coil. I only have one of their albums, Unleashed Memories, and unfortunately they didn't play anything from that album, particularly Senzafine which is my favorite song off of the album. They had a decent stage presence but overall their songs sound very similar and reminds me a lot of nu-metal like Korn. Seeing this band was more for my girlfriend anyway. I also scored two bass picks from them.

All That Remains put on a great show playing songs mainly from The Fall of Ideals and their newest album. They only played one off off This Darkened Heart. I was really impressed by Oli Herbert's (lead guitarist) playing. Phenominal skills. And I headbanged for several songs which I haven't done at a concert in a while, mostly because I'd protect my girl from the crowds haha.

Next show, hopefully KMFDM.

• 2 weeks later...

So yeah. I just came back from Video Games Live in NYC. It was fun. I suppose all of the typical music was played. There was a bunch of expected gamer behavior. The concert itself had a selections from Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Mario, Zelda, Mass Effect, Halo, Diablo, Warcraft, Castlevania, Megaman, Chrono Trigger and some dabblings of other titles of which I cannot recall right now. It feels like I'm missing one or two. The performers were extremely talented with a featured pianist (

) and flutist (youtube video which I cannot find now).

There was small Guitar Hero: Aerosmith interlude with the winner of the Guitar Hero competition before the concert. I can't say that I was completely impressed with him. (That could have been me!) Anyway, OCR got a tiny, hardly noticeable plug when giving him his prize. The challenge was to beat Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion on Hard/Expert with over 200k points, by the way. It was definitely something cool and interactive to bring to the show. The best selection to me was probably between Megaman or Warcraft. I think that if they had any Street Fighter music in there, that would probably be my personal favorite. But the Megaman and Warcraft bits picked the right songs and meshed them together in a good way. Chrono Trigger wasn't done as well as it could be, sadly. For the top requested game music, I think a better arrangement/mash up could been written.

The concert was in the Beacon Theater. The acoustics were really good and the lighting was really awesome as well. It's decked out in gold gilt and griffins and all that sort of stuff. Apparently, a lot of the people in the audience were return members from the previous showing last year. If it really is an annual thing, we should maybe perhaps get an OCR thing together then?

• 6 months later...

so after like a day my summers gotten packed full of concerts

5/15 - Taylor Swift

5/16 - Metric

5/25 - Imogen Heap

6/25 - Silversun Pickups

7/4 - Michael Bublé

7/31 - Tegan and Sara/New Found Glory (Paramore is headlining but I don't like them at all really) same weekend as Otakon and it's in MD so I'll go to both most likely

8/7 - Same as previous show but my friends wanna go to see it in Hershey, PA

8/14 - AFI and Green Day

10/23 - Muse and Metric

Bahamut, as we have discussed in the past, your choice in concerts is pretty close to identical to mine. That is a very cool lineup you have for this summer.

I saw Barenaked Ladies a few weeks ago, what an awesome show! Before that it was Hammerfall and Powerglove. Missed Sonata this time around. Next up is U2 in July I think. I have tix but can't remember when it is.

I DJ on the night Maiden is in Edmonton, so that's out. I might go to Saskatchewan to see them though.

I might go see Breaking Benjamin, but their newest CD only had 2 songs I liked, and it means I would be paying to see nickelback too, so that is a pretty big might.

I saw

I went to Finntroll, Moonsorrow and Swallow the Sun last night. There were two other bands opening, Adavant and Bonded by Blood. Adavant is a local folk metal band that is decent; I've seen them before with Eluveitie. Bonded by Blood is a good thrash metal band just a terrible singer. Swallow the Sun had a good stage presence however I only caught the last handful of songs as I was hungry and was eating at the Whataburger. Moonsorrow is a fantastic folk metal band, even bought a shirt from them however I left early because I was tired. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so in may i went to three different concerts (taylor swift, metric, and imogen heap) and none of which were the kind of stuff that i normally go to (loud punk/rock shows) and i have to say its been really nice seeing completely different stuff live