Liontamer

Contact Information

* Your ReMixer names: analoq, Hemophiliac

* Your real name: Aaron Matthews, Chris Roman

* Your userid: 1848, 4862

Submission Information

* Name of game arranged: Startropics

* Name of individual song arranged: nsf track 4

* Additional information about game: NES, Y. Hirai (composer)

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/Startropics.zip - Track 4

The source melody rode in the back seat during the middle of the track, but it was still the foundation of the piece and I heard it throughout. Nice stuff arrangement-wise, with a pretty solid groove. There was about just over 8 seconds of silence at the end that should be trimmed off. Otherwise, just giving the panel some good stuff to chill to.

Listening to this was like finding something I needed that I didn't know I was actually looking for. Being very familiar with Aaron's stuff, it was really cool seeing Chris take charge on this one and lead the arrangement, supplemented with those analoq spices. Correct me if I'm mistaken on the balance of the contribution. Regardless, I liked the relaxed light jazz feel here. The genre fit the source like a glove.

YES

The source melody rhode in the back seat

hehehehehehehehehehehe..

Honestly though this is really chill. Very laidback Hemophiliac-groove with lots of interesting and highly musical details in the arrangement. Close enough to the source for sure. The soft creamy synth leads help spice this up too.

I'm not 100% on the drums. While they are good the reverb takes up a lot of place, especially when it's applied on the bassdrum too. The hi-hat also sounds a little flimsy, no real attack to speak of. A Hi-hat is not the ideal instrument for brushes IMO, but that's highly personal and definitely not a dealbreaker. The production does not concentrate on giving the piece power and volume but that's fine with me for such a laid-back jazz piece.

Cleanly produced, great arrangement and superb execution.

YES

Nice take on this classic theme, modifying the chords and jazzing it up. The lead instrument entering at 0:34 sounded a little cheesy at first, but I think as the song went on, it grew on me, reminding me of the early synths that got used in 70's music. It's a great atmosphere, very dream-like. Good improvisations too. I noticed that the end of the song has eight seconds of silence. Let's chop that off before posting this.

I probably would've scaled back the reverb on the drums to give them a crisper sound. Like Anso said, the bass drum especially takes up a lot of space with that reverb. I also wouldn't have mind more variations in the hi-hat pattern. Otherwise, just chill, solid stuff. Would have loved to hear another minute of it.

YES (conditional on ending fix)

I agree with AnotherSoundscape's sentiment on this. I like the atmosphere and the groove, generally speaking, and the modifications to the source are nice. I do think the drums are the weakest part by far, however. The whole kit just sounds kind of thin, and the kick/snare lack punch. The hihats are far louder than everything else so it sounds unbalanced to me. The drum sequencing is also rather plain, in my opinion, particularly 1:32.

This one is right on the border for me, honestly. While I like a lot of the sounds, the drums are very weak, and for such a "smooth" mix I think they should be a lot stronger. Also, the leads tend to get buried. That being said, the arrangement is definitely good, which I think is enough to push this into YES territory.

YES