OCR01725 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Lanterns"

djpretzel

Horray, my old name is in a write up

Yeah, when I first heard this on piano I LOVED it. It's a direction I don't think we hear enough of in the remix community. It's minimal, it's full of emotion and it's easily my favorite take on the Brambles theme

You're a champion for this one

A beautiful and unique take on a source that is pretty tough to remix due to it being amazing amazing amazing amazing. But I think it's safe to say you've taken it in a new and interesting direction.

It's kinda slowish though and empty at times? But I like that. It makes it more somber and more minimalist and stuff.

Gooooood stuffs.

I love this one. It's sad and gentle. It has a restained feel similar to Infinite Natalie by Shnabubula. It is not underdeveloped at all.

I really like the way how the piano is upfront and strings in the first part, and oboe throughout, are distant. It works really, really well. Oboe is stiffer than it should in a perfect world be, especially in the end, which is a bit unfortunate, as it leaves an "aftertaste". Regardless, I'm extremely glad this passed, I enjoy it very much.

--Eino

Yesterday was a pretty crappy day for me. We all have those... I only heard this track late at night. It had a catartic effect on me, and I felt a lot better afterwards. Thanks for that.

In another angle, It really reminded me of some of "Legend of Legaia"'s darkest tracks.

In short, I really liked it.

Words cannot describe the appreciation I have for this song. Something about it makes me very nostalgic. It's not saddening but somewhat uplifting. The brass and strings, in my opinion, adds to the emotion the song brings out. Overall this piece is amazing and I can't really say I hated anything about it. Loved it!

Wow, this is really nice! I don't have a problem with the sample quality so much as the dynamics - the fact that once the instrument hits a note it stays the same volume for the duration of the note. I think all this really needed was dynamics - crescendos and decrescendos.

And being a fan of Philip Glass, I don't really see the comparison, but at times this can evoke the same sort of "mood" some of Glass' darker pieces stir up from within.

So great work to you. Glad I got to hear it!

• 2 months later...

It's cool to hear my beloved plink plink- plink plink ploonk turned into something so legato. I think a little humanization on some of the orchestra elements would have made this into something really outstanding, though as is, it is very good. Just some vibrato on the sustained notes, and as Mustin pointed out, some additional dynamics.

I think even an additional minute would have been welcome, it seems like it ends too soon. Very nice stuff, however.

• 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This one definitely feels like a funeral march in the rain, you captured that utterly-somber essence perfectly. I agree that this could have really benefitted from a live performance on the other instruments, but I think the piano is enough to carry this one on its own. It's nice to see a less-conventional Stickerbrush Symphony remix on the site - as great as the source tune is, I definitely think it could stand to get a more liberal approach taken, and that's exactly what was done here!

Whoa....

The atmosphere is so thick I could cut it with a knife; oh how I love it, lol. ^_^

I keep thinking of something like a nighttime Japanese marsh in the rain with a lone lantern stuck on a pole, something from a Hayao Miyazaki film, whenever I listen to this.

The laborious effort in this mix astounds me; it feels so wonderfully weighty.

This is one of those rare mixes that is so unique that you will most likely never find another like it; go check it out.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Now here's a different take on Stickerbrush!

As has been mentioned already, some humanization on the orchestral elements would help this song a lot. Otherwise, this is a novel take on what is otherwise a more upbeat song. The execution is mostly there, although I feel it is a little on the short side & would have liked to hear more.

Not a bad take though!

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01725 - Donkey Kong Country 2 "Lanterns"