Zelda: Majora's Mask - Giants' Theme

Damn, my favorite track from the game finally remixed. Very good use of those clock samples.

The song gets annoyingly silent around the second quarter though. Also theres a lack of melody... well, everywhere. It sounds damn good, but I want the melody in full bravado, not a bunch of chord progressions and a... wombly...piano line.

Still damn good, tho. I'll follow this untilit gets submitted.

Great source, first off.

The piano seems to get stuck in the back with the more atmospheric sounds, though, which is a shame, since it really defines the movement of the song. The bass violin sounds a bit unnatural. It would really be great if you could get a live recording for this and the piano. Together they could really take this remix places. Just let your atmospheric noises build and have fun with some original bantering back and forth (and then together) from the piano and bass. You get the formula right at the very end, but that's too late imo. I'd do this in your second half (which is pretty boring) and try to incorporate the melody from the source somewhere and not just the chord progressions.

All in all, sounds good so far!

...try to incorporate the melody from the source somewhere and not just the chord progressions.

Is there really that much of a melody in the original? As far as I remember it was really just the chords.

Anyway, I've made some changes to the second half, dropping the synth bass for some interplay between piano and 'bass violin'. Slipped in a sonata of awakening reference while I was at it.

viuw

original:

ARRANGEMENT / INTERPRETATION

[X] Too conservative - sticks too close to the source

[?] Too much direct sampling from original game audio

PRODUCTION

[X] Low-quality samples

[X] Drums have no energy

[X] Mixing is muddy (eg. too many sounds in the same range)

STRUCTURE

[X] Not enough changes in sounds (eg. static texture, not dynamic enough)

[X] Pace too plodding

PERSONAL COMMENTS (positive feedback, specifics on checklist criticisms, any other thoughts)

Wow! Any mix that incorporates a clock is so full of win! Seriously...

Hmmm quick breakdown here...

:00 to :50 is just the original with the sampled clock and some additional instrumentation. Nice use of the "stairs falling" sound at :48.

I like the soundfield you created from 1:01 to about 1:35. It seems a bit empty right now but that might just be the crappy headphones I am using. 1:35 to 1:47... I like that you brought in the source tune again. Still don't like how it sounds directly sampled though.

Things get really muddy from about 1:50 on. The decision to use the samples and your piano is a pretty cool one admittadly, the issue is that they are both covering the same frequency range, and are mixed so that I can sometimes not tell when one stops for whatever reason. Everything is sitting way down, and it's hard to distinguish certain sounds. This is compounded by that clock sample, which was great earlier, but is now getting totally lost in the fray. You might want to try replacing that sample of the giants' song with a different instrument, or axing it completely to see how the sound is. Not too sure though, but something has to give there.

2:20 you start doing some interesting things with interplay between the piano and the viola. Good stuff, but I can barely hear it with those samples still clogging up the mix. Check your levels here, bring that piano up a bit and it'll help here. You might want to lower the reverb on the piano sample as well. The drums are pretty good here, the sequencing isn't terribly original but they are doing a good job of helping even out your soundfield.

Piano starts doing the ocarina song at 3:09, not a bad idea. It's a nice little garnish on this mix, too much reverb though. There were a couple notes there that hurt. After that, things start to seperate and we get a pretty good sound happening, with the clock stopping at 3:29. I felt kind of ripped off by the ending, you finally had some good stuff happening but you ended it!

Closing thoughts:

The intro needs a lot of work. The ingame sample of the clock and the giants' song makes this sound pretty harsh and low-quality.

As much as I love the clock melody, I think it might be overdone, and it should fade into the back of the song, to let the melody progress. They could fade back in at the end, but the clock thing is too... well you hear it all the time, and it distracts from he song.

I love what you are doing with this and I see great potential in this song. In my opinion, you should not rely on the clock sound too much, it's a great idea, but I feel its holding the song back. At the end, you barely hear them, and the song is better for that.

Is there really that much of a melody in the original? As far as I remember it was really just the chords.

Anyway, I've made some changes to the second half, dropping the synth bass for some interplay between piano and 'bass violin'. Slipped in a sonata of awakening reference while I was at it.

viuw

The oath to order is what I want. Youll find that it fits nicely with what youve got going on.

To jog your memory:oathtoorder.jpg

EDIT: Your piano is still wombly. I could record live samples, Ive inherited an amazing grand that sounds great, but the best microphone i have is on my mp3 player. It would still sound better than what youve got, thats how out of place yourpiano sounds right now.

auph

* choir samples have been severely... whatever the opposite of amplified is; I also tried adding a quiet stereo effect to them

* clock was pulled completely from 1:50-3:05

* added an extra voice in the intro that bears some resemblance to the harp in the original; hopefully this means the first minute isn't quite as boring as before

* piano is now a live recording (thanks for the offer, Glitch, but I managed to dig up a microphone of my own)

EDIT: oh, and the oath to order was always there in the second half... it might be a bit more noticeable now, though, not sure...

Just want to re-emphasize:

The cello you have playing is really generic sounding.

What I'd recommend is slight pitch bends (listen to some music with solo cello)... You need to basically tweak the shit out of this instrument to make it sound convincing, since it's the lead for half of the song. At this point, it sounds completely uninspired.

Mess with the volume automation for dynamics, that'd REALLY help, some crescendo and decrescendo... use automation to give the cello different attacks for different parts of the song...

Also I think the cello is too up front in your face and doesn't fit with the soundscape you're using. Try putting some delay on it and see how it sounds... Put some appropriate reverb on it as well... The song sounds eerie, and seems like it could get away with a more spacey/ambient cello part anyway.

As for the rest of your instrments, I think they kind of keep the song sounding uninspired as well... Try layering that choir pad with something else, work on the drums a little more, they sound kind of midi-ish to me... If you just don't have great samples, layer layer layer, experiment and see if you can get a good drum sound (with lots of EQ/Compression/and luck)

Anyway, good luck!

That piano recording you put in there made this 100% better! I also like the intro a lot more, even though you only made some minor changes. I kind of miss the clock right at the end though. Personally I would like to hear it fade in at the end just to give unity to the entire piece. Other than that, I don't have any more constructive criticism. Good Luck!

Overall, the song is a great improvement over version 1. I feels more like a song and less like a concept. The intro is getting there. I think the only thing missing is some tweaking of the instruments / choir. I can't really give precise comments because all my projects never really make it past the concept part.

The piano was a great choice, it sounds eerie enough. At this point, this song could almost have been in the game and people would have loved it. You are on the right track, keep it up and you will have a pretty unique remix that will go straight to my favourite playlist,