Zelda: Ocarina of Time 'Twinrova's Theme'

Well, I don't think it's the sample's fault as much as it is my own incapability to "master" them (is that the right word?) I use fruity loops 7, and Garritan Personal Orchestra (all the samples are from GPO, but I use FL7 to run them.) I'm not exactly new to composition, but making it sound "real" is a very new concept to me. (For the last 5 years or so, I've just used midi.)

Holy shit, this is awesome. Production is meh, but I LOVE the arrangement, and I normally don't like orchestral arrangements.

There are some points where the samples work relatively well, but still, if I were a judge, I would give this a NO solely on production.

See what you can find in the way of samples, but also check out zircon's real instruments tutorial.

EDIT: HOLY SHIT! You know what else you could do? Talk to trenthian. I know at one point he had an actual orchestra at his disposal for remix performance; I don't know if that orchestra is any good, or even whether the option is still open, but it's definitely worth looking into.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all again. I just don't.. feel really confidant or even "able" to heighten production on this. All that reverb, note timing, just.. "humanizing" in general.. It's all over my head. And for the samples, I wouldn't know how to get better ones or make the ones I do have sound better. Sadly, I think this might be where my song ends..

So you don't know how to apply reverb? Because that's definitely something you're going to want to know. You really shouldn't give up on this song, because it has a lot of potential.

Ok, so reverb.

-Select the channel you want to apply an effect to (there will be a green light to the right of the channel name).

-There should be an FX button with a picture of some vertical bars at the top right of the screen. You click on that to open the mixer.

-Right click on one of the effect channels (insert 1, insert 2, etc) and go to "Link selected channels", then click "to this track".

-Now you can go over to the right and click on the dropdown arrow next to "1".

-Go to "select" and then click on "fruity reverb". A little window will pop up.

-You can adjust the settings manually, but you're probably better off starting with the presets since you don't know much about all those terms (I don't either :razz:). Right click on the two arrows next to the X and you can select from a list of presets.

-You can also go back into the mixer and adjust how much of the reverb is applied by using the little knob next to the effect.

There are a whole bunch of other effects you should experiment with. That's the best way to find out what they do. But I'd say reverb is the most important of them, especially for a piece in this style. Now, I'm no expert on humanizing, but reverb is the easiest step in making instruments sound better. You should at least get familiar with that.

Or maybe you already know how to apply it, but you're not sure how to use it well...

Thank you, thank you, thank you all again. I just don't.. feel really confidant or even "able" to heighten production on this. All that reverb, note timing, just.. "humanizing" in general.. It's all over my head. And for the samples, I wouldn't know how to get better ones or make the ones I do have sound better. Sadly, I think this might be where my song ends..

Like I said: Talk to trenthian. If you and he can arrange to have this played by an actual orchestra, it would fucking pwn.

(also: if you ever want to be any good, you can't just give up on the production aspects; you're gonna have to learn them sooner or later, so you might as well make it sooner)

First of all, I love how you all are more excited about the song than the actual arranger (Well, I am excited, but I don't have much faith in me.)

But you're right, Mr. Taucer, I do need to learn those production aspects; however, learning them on my own is a little much for me. It would be nice for someone to hold my hand and walk me through it, or do it for me (sorry) and let me watch so I can "take notes" or something.

I'll see what I can do on my own (won't be very much), and I'll talk to trenthian. I don't know trenthian at all, and I'm also afraid that he won't really want to do anything by me because I'm so new and no one knows me yet. [That and the song might be a little difficult to play right off the bat] Of course I'll try anyways, but just voicing my concerns as an apprehensive young person.

Thank you all for what you have been telling me and your encouragement on my piece.

EDIT: (I've never done this before) Well, this being the first forum I've ever been on, I never really checked my inbox. I forgot that I might get PM's for this song. Well, after reading that, a few people have made offers to do exactly what I wished for: tips, help in general, etc. Thank you all for such a nice community and sorry for not reading PM's, they're just a new thing for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My first guess wouldbe that the file expired, but since I can download it without any problem, I suppose the problem is that the host or browser gets stuck somewhere and doesn't present the final download link.

If not, the problem is most likely located between the screen and the chair. Whether that's an expectation that clicking on the link will instantly start the download process, or if it's just a lack of page navigation skill or patience with the mediafire page.

Short version: It works for me.