Final Fantasy 8 'The Extreme'

Well, I finished it up earlier this year. The intro has been significantly reworked, and cut down -- it doesn't drag on like previous versions did. I've also cut out and modified some of the over-repetitive piano. Here's the final version (link will redirect to the mp3):

http://www.sfu.ca/~cjs/music/extremismRedirect.html

Turns out the judges didn't like it so much (http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22504), but I'm done with it, and am busy working on a remix of "The Mission", also from FF8.

Thanks to everyone who left suggestions. Hope you all like the final cut.

One of my favorite song from FF8.

Even if it can be slightly improved in the EQ department, It's a strong arrangement.

There are a LOT of instruments...

And by that I mean: Holy crap! You nailed every last one of 'em, & bring together the essence of a rich & varied musical piece.

Actually, you've completely overcame the somewhat boring second part of the original song.

You sure put a lot of work into that one, & done justice to 'the extreme'.

Great work.

ocremixfan -- glad you liked it. But honestly, I think it's beyond my abilities to make it much better. There's an insane amount of stuff going on it, and I'd probably need a couple more years of remixing experience to know how to deal with it properly. I bit off way more than I could chew. By contrast, my next remix will be entirely strings and percussion, which is a *lot* more manageable.

Dj Mokram -- reading your comment was a great way to start off my day. The fact that a few people out there enjoy what I've done makes it all worthwhile :D

Strange, I'd say it was a more laid back remix of the Extreme, quite good, though. I can agree with what the J's had to say about it, but it certainly isn't a bad remix. It didn't seem to have enough of the material from past the intro, in my opinion, but that certainly gave it a unique flavor that I wasn't expecting. Very nice.

By contrast, my next remix will be entirely strings and percussion, which is a *lot* more manageable.

For the love of God, don't do that to us! Too many people make that very mistake - 'I'll just make a remix with strings and percussion, rawr' - it will not help you as a remixer, and it'll destroy the potential for the remix. Taking on a project that is a bit bigger than you wanted at first will help you more as a composer than taking on something that is easier; that's not to mention the fact that strings, while good with other instruments, suck on their own (in general). If your orchestrating a remix use the full range of the orchestra, please.

I didn't want you going out making a remix with just strings - that would've been slicing off your nose in spite of your face. :puppyeyes:

I liked the remix, by the way - it'd be great for vgmix (and then I'd be able to download it - I can't do that the way you set up the link :-x).

It's actually only a remix of the intro to The Extreme -- I don't care much for the main part of the original. Glad you liked it though.

Re: the link -- the server that hosts the MP3s doesn't allow direct links to MP3s from other sites -- hence the stupid redirect workaround. This link should work better:

http://www.aquestionofextremes.com/Colin J. Stewart - Extremism.mp3

For the love of God, don't do that to us! Too many people make that very mistake - 'I'll just make a remix with strings and percussion, rawr' - it will not help you as a remixer, and it'll destroy the potential for the remix. Taking on a project that is a bit bigger than you wanted at first will help you more as a composer than taking on something that is easier; that's not to mention the fact that strings, while good with other instruments, suck on their own (in general). If your orchestrating a remix use the full range of the orchestra, please.
A fair point. But the idea I had for this next remix was always fairly simple -- it wasn't a deliberate choice to narrow the scope of the project so it would be easier. And actually, there's a lot you can do with strings. In any case, if it ends up sounding like hell, I'll throw in the rest of the kitchen sink :D

A fair point. But the idea I had for this next remix was always fairly simple -- it wasn't a deliberate choice to narrow the scope of the project so it would be easier. And actually, there's a lot you can do with strings. In any case, if it ends up sounding like hell, I'll throw in the rest of the kitchen sink :D

Alright, as long as it's a compositional choice I'll wait to see what you've got in store for us. Strings CAN sound good, it's just a bit overused nowadays. Thanks for the link!