tempo as a function of body temp

Patrick Burns

I don't know about the science behind it or even an explanation for it, but I can affirm that this has happened to me, but not since I stopped messing around with MIDI. I remember back in the day, messing around with Cakewalk at night, songs would sound much faster than I wanted them to, so I would slow it down until it sounded right. Then come to find in the morning I'd listen to the same song right after waking up and it was way too slow, and when I'd bring it back up to the tempo where it sounded right again, it was back up to the original tempo I had it at the night before, before I started messing around with the tempo.

My explanation was that I was just tired.

Hmm, I use Zircon's "The Koto Chill" for my alarm (its very soothing, i usually just lay there for the whole song), And it usually seems that it's faster than normal. Especially the second half.

EDIT: Crappy example

Normal version of The Koto Chill,

How it sounds to me at 6:30AM,

Its a 2.5% tempo increase but when you just wake up it makes a more noticeable difference.

(Don't kill me zirc for linking files! :-P)

I often thought about thinks like that. But, the songs didn't really seem to be faster or slower, they seemed to be louder and softer, and clearer an cluttered.

I especially notice it when I'm working on my mixes. Sometimes they would sound perfect to me, but when I'm tired, they would seem loud and confusing. Like there are just a bunch of beeps and bloops everywhere and it all sounds like shit.

I can play a song at a certain volume level (higher than it should be) and listen to it later at that same level and it would either be too loud or not really loud enough. I guess it depends on what I'm doing and the noise levels of my surroundings.

If anyone's still hung up on the "tempo vs pitch" thing... just remember that the human ear can't pick up frequencies lower than around 20Hz.

20Hz * 60sec/min = 1200bpm

It would be silly to say that music with a tempo less than 1200 bpm is inaudible... hope this clears things up more than it confuses everyone =P

Or annoying. Some dude is signaling a turn, in my head it goes beep beep beep... (well, more like buzz...)

I'm sure it's quite possible someone's told you this before (maybe you're even tired of hearing it??), but:

Have you ever tried making an animation or other visual art work that sounds good or at least slightly music-ish to you? Seems like it would make a really great concept piece, if there's an explanation attached.

I'm not trying to redefine tempo and I'm not publishing a study. These are anecdotes, and I think it's interesting that my body temperature, or some related process, seems to affect my perception of tempo without affecting my perception of pitch. And yet, when the speed of any audio recording changes, the tempo and pitch are equally affected. If it came across as a big cock wave in need of counter-cock maneuvers, I didn't intend it.

In any event, here is a sequenced drum loop going from 90 bpm to 1320 bpm in my sequencer, and here is a guitar doing the same. 1320 beats per minutes = 220 vibrations per second. That's an A. Any repeated pattern of sound, from an entire drum loop to a single sine wave, can become a tone.

220 x 60 is actually 13200. Very interesting effect, but I suppose it does make sense.