OCR00963 - Double Dragon "Enter the Guru"

djpretzel

Starts off with the level one theme, wich I like alot.. It sound a little empty at times...but it gets cooler, and not repetitive at all, Lots of changes in the effects/speed and instrements, cool. Then warps into another theme, I think its level 3... In the woods..oh yea...I remember. Nice chillin music, a big change from your first part. Nice take on the song as well, respecting the original. oops..I think the third song is the wood theme..unless there are 2 parts too it. Ah, its gone heavy, head banging time! Drums sound awsome at 3:50...nice quality. Now a diff song, I remember that one as well, This is a nice trip into DD...I'm afraid that the song at 4:09 kicks the ass of all the other parts...you should have worked on the other parts to equal the quality from this one...just a thought. HATE the way you went into the main theme...and its also, WAY too crowded in there....you Base eats up everything for the main theme...Too dirty for the rest of the instruments... The ending was fine.

Overall nicely done mixs...some emptyness here and there...some songs better than the others(quality) Good show!

-Gman

Considering his samples don't r0x0r my s0x0rz, this is a great mix. Basically, that means if he had better samples this would be a totally bad-ass mix. I was a huge Super Double Dragon fan and loved the music in that game. I'm not a huge fan of the transitions, but they didn't make me stop and go "what the hell?" which is a good sign. And the drumming kicks massive ass. Overall, won't blow you away, but it definitely isn't bad.

While i did enjoy this medley, i felt that it was lacking in originality. I want to also say that I come from a tracker background as well, so I can understand your limitations, but with the exception of the last part of level 2, which was snazzy, and the level 3 part which was also interesting, i felt not much was changed from the original version in almost all other areas. I felt more like this medley was an attempt to improve on what Kazunaka Yamane did, rather than remix it. Having said that, I liked the work with the instruments/samples available and its decent solid medley, if you havn't heard many Double Dragon covers.

Time Marks of the medley:

Stage 1 - 0:00

Stage 2 - 1:36

Stage 3 - 2:43

Stage 4 - 4:10

Title - 5:01

Thanks so much for your comments, guys. You have truly provided a fair assessment of this remix.

Yes, the samples aren't amazing. In fact I didn't pay a cent for any of them. Such is the life of a tracker. :)

Yes, drums are my specialty, and they are the backbone of this remix. The only thing closest to a live instrument in this remix is my snare drum, which I recorded from my own drumkit, and you can notice texture changes in it if you listen closely.

Saying that I was improving on Kazunaka's work instead of remixing it? Sounds good to me. Why mess with greatness? Stage 2 was the biggest style change IMO. The rest is straightforward rock with a splash of techno.

I will agree that the last two are the best ones in the set, but hey, I like them the most out of the five. My general theme was to start off nicely in Stage 1 with a basic song, get funky in Stage 2, relax a bit through the beginning of Stage 3, then build up intensity at the end of Stage 3 into Stage 4, so by the time the Title theme hits you're in full headbanging mode. The Title theme is the greatness of Double Dragon in a nutshell, so it gets the most grandeur. :)

What's in the future? I never run out of song ideas (I have eight candidates in mind right now), but I'm afraid that my method of delivery, Impulse Tracker, is finally showing its age. Plus it seems that all I do is Rock, Rock, Rock. I've stretched it for all it's worth. What I WANT to do is form a band, much like the other VG music bands around. I want better drums, better cymbals, better recording equipment. I want to learn to play the guitar and piano, and be better at the drums. All kinds of things that are beyond the reach of this poor college student.

So, basically, I'm afraid that I'm not good enough to compete with the rest of the talent on this site. Over these six years that I have made remixes, I have made them primarily for myself, because I liked the music so much that I wanted to make it better. After that, I wanted to show people that VG music is more than some lines of code in a chip. OC Remix has done that on a much larger scale, and I am happy to be able to contribute to it. But talent-wise ... I don't know any more. Am I good enough? Should I keep going?

What makes this song so great is its like playing the game all over again. The samples are simple, and the tune is a little unoriginal, but the song still kicks plenty of ass, especially around the 4 minute mark when the last level tune kicks in, Yeah! Good Ending!

I never post on this board, although I download a lot. I've got like 500+ or so songs from this page and this is the first I felt the need to post on. The first video game I ever got was Double Dragon for the Sega Master System...and wow does this bring back memories. It's about time somebody did something for this game! This one is great too...the samples aren't top notch, and it's not very original, but still it's awesome! I was about to do the first level song myself if no one else was going to do it actually, (but I still have a month of classes left and it's double dragon or my degree so.....double dragon will have to wait!) Awesome song though, I just love it! I hope we can see more Double Dragon in the future.

I'm not sure what to say about this. There are parts that are good, but I feel they are outweighed by some others. First off, the medley doesn't seem to have any coherence aside from the fact that these are all DD tunes. The transitions don't work, the arrangement doesn't really go anywhere, and this is emphasized by the ending, which is kind of dull. And of course, the issue of sound samples. But there were parts with good drums, and a couple parts with good melody and panning. They just need to fit with the other parts better and form a more coherent piece.

*shakes fist* You included the song I wanted to mix! It is the one that is also on the versus stage (Stage 4 music). heh..

Overall, this mix is novel, but I agree with Ryan that the transitions don't develop (but rather just kind of happen and that's it), and the ending is really awkward. Feels almost like a jazzercised version of the original music, which is not all that bad, except that it's been a while since I've actually played DD, so I felt more like I wanted the song to build up to something instead of listening intently for each stage's music. But, this is a vegetable soup of DD mixing, and it is still a decent listen.

I thought it was good. Although it sounded like it came straight from game itself. But that might have been what you were going for. Good job on integrating the different themes. My favorite part is the end when the title theme comes in. Nice work.

• 2 weeks later...

I really want to like this song, but I can't for one primary reason. That AWFUL snare drum sample. It sounds very tinny and annoying, and its too far into the foreground. I might have been able to tolerate it if it was more in the backround and not so blaring. Rest of it is pretty good, but that drum....ARRRGH!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Sample-wise this is pretty gross..like a gameboy, and it's a pretty straightforward cover medley. HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (!)

Double Dragon on the gameboy probably killed more batteries for me than any other game, and all because when I was 11 or so and waiting in the frigid cold for the bus, i'd have headphones in and would be jamming to the title screen music for hours as i'd head to school. The nostalgia on this mix is so strong I can't be rational and I love in conditionally. When the title screen music finally hits after the huge build, I forgot all of the shortcomings.

I will say the drum programming is really nice on this one, with some great fills and grooves.

I love this mix. <3

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00963 - Double Dragon "Enter the Guru"