Twisted Metal Movie

POCKETMAN

I'm pretty sure Google Video doesn't have a maximum time limit. I remember watching a full movie on there called Kid M a long time ago. I couldn't tell you if they've changed their rules now though. So unless you didn't want to release this online that's an option. Otherwise, in case you're making a list of people who aren't being assholes and are actually interested in seeing what you've accomplished, add my name to that list and let me know when and how I can see this.

...or I'll just come back and check this thread later. Either way.

Wait, wait, wait. Hold on a second. You're all arguing that sweet tooth = the joker, whereas I could have sworn that this was announced and finished filming far before TDK came out.

Clarification, please? Because if TDK DID came out after this, you could argue that the joker stole this movie's sweet tooth...:tomatoface:

hahaha

but seriously - I want to see this. no budget movies fail so hard they win

Dude stop being an asshole. He's in film school. He's making some movie projects. I don't think he intends this to be shown at theaters around the country and charge people for it. :|

thank you!!!!!!! ya if i wanted to get the shit sued out of me i would mass produce this and charge. wtf? did i ever say i was gonna show this in a theater or sell it on dvd? no i believe i said upload.... but you all took it as HE STOLE JOKER. and again, i don't own twisted metal, or sony.

ONCE AGAIN I'VE HEARD THAT YOU THINK I RIPPED THE DARK KNIGHT. GO POST SOMEWHERE ELSE.

cerrax, you had a couple good points. and i like getting criticism like that. but saying i ripped joker will not help my film making.

Should you ever decide to release a quality film, this one is gonna haunt you if you don't.

Why don't you take a look at this: a movie i wrote, claim all originally for, and had less than half the budget for twisted metal. go ahead, i dare you. tell me this looks like shit. or i ripped off something.

Oh and:

You need to take criticism instead of thinking you are a good director and all the problems are everyone else's fault. I don't know the first thing about movies.

when did i say i was a good director? i mean i didn't even direct twisted metal. and if you don't know anything about movies then you really shouldn't be saying anything.

call it a fan made flick.

i don't know what else you would call it......

Pocketman, I think part of the problem is that you created some expectation with your initial post by exaggerating the scope of your experience and abilities.

You admit you're still in film school, but you want to make a movie that would be almost impossible to live up to anyone's expectations for $1000, unless something miraculous happened, or you happen to have access to a bunch of dune buggies with machine guns on them already (which if you lived in a junkyard and were good with parts, might've been the case).

Announcing you won awards, had actors listed on IMDB, and had a top special effects team; while showing your enthusiasm for your project, probably didn't help shape people's expectations, to what you could realistically accomplish. It especially didn't help that you said you wanted to generate some interest in the film, because that makes it sound almost like you're more experienced beyond film school.

If you're serious as a filmmaker, you should take this thread as a learning experience(and I'm not saying it's that easy), on how or how not to promote a project. You say you don't feel the trailer is representative of the final project, so don't release it. But at the same time, you're enthusiastic and want to share your work with people, which is great, but you got to understand when and how to do it.

If you presented this project as just a 'film student' project with a $1,000 budget, and "yeah, it ain't perfect", you might've had a somewhat warmer response. Sure you'll still get the haters or the ambivalent, but with the bar not set so high, you might find a few more people who appreciate the effort for what is, and the criticism will maybe be more understood as more constructive, than angry.

On top of that, I hope you've learned how futile is to get into protracted arguments on message boards. But hey, Dennis Dyack and slew of other game developers and directors have yet to learn that...

Pocketman, I think part of the problem is that you created some expectation with your initial post by exaggerating the scope of your experience and abilities.

You admit you're still in film school, but you want to make a movie that would be almost impossible to live up to anyone's expectations for $1000, unless something miraculous happened, or you happen to have access to a bunch of dune buggies with machine guns on them already (which if you lived in a junkyard and were good with parts, might've been the case).

Announcing you won awards, had actors listed on IMDB, and had a top special effects team; while showing your enthusiasm for your project, probably didn't help shape people's expectations, to what you could realistically accomplish. It especially didn't help that you said you wanted to generate some interest in the film, because that makes it sound almost like you're more experienced beyond film school.

If you're serious as a filmmaker, you should take this thread as a learning experience(and I'm not saying it's that easy), on how or how not to promote a project. You say you don't feel the trailer is representative of the final project, so don't release it. But at the same time, you're enthusiastic and want to share your work with people, which is great, but you got to understand when and how to do it.

If you presented this project as just a 'film student' project with a $1,000 budget, and "yeah, it ain't perfect", you might've had a somewhat warmer response.

i understand what you are saying. the ONLY reason i even posted anything here was because this is OCRemix. the video game music remix site. i just assumed everyone would understand that i'm a film student and it wasn't suppose to be amazing. and my top special effects team is also just students.

And for that I have myself and two other BA grad students who are excellent CGI artists.

and i'm gonna take a moment to explain this:

how would you do the twisted metal tournament car combat part?

there is no way to do it and have it be realistic. you pick up weapons by running them over. in the game you can get hit with with missiles several times, and then your vehicle catches fire, you get hit a few more times and you blow up. then you start over fresh as if you never died. everyone else still has damage. in real life if your car gets hit with an explosive you are pretty much screwed. that's all it would most likely take. one. so we went about doing this differently. the movie takes place before twisted metal. and we set up a different kind of car combat. if there were 6 cars with missiles firing at each other it would last about 3 or 4 seconds. maybe. so that's why we don't have awesome vehicles with missiles set up on their sides. and we decided if your car was on fire you would get out. thus hand to hand fighting came into the picture.

we had been planning a sequel, Twisted Metal: Black. and have it more like the actual game. but i don't know if we'll go through with it.

and i'm gonna take a moment to explain this:

how would you do the twisted metal tournament car combat part?

there is no way to do it and have it be realistic. in the game you can get hit with with missiles several times, and then you vehicle catches fire, you get hit a few more times and you blow up. then you start over fresh as if you never died. everyone else still has damage. in real life if your car gets hit with an explosive you are pretty much screwed. that's all it would most likely take. one. so we went about doing this differently. the movie takes place before twisted metal. and we set up a different kind of car combat. if there were 6 cars with missiles firing at each other it would last about 3 or 4 seconds. maybe.

Personally, I would've expected cars to be armored up and/or have some type of anti-missile guidance device. Or you could just use rockets, which aren't as accurate. Mounted machine guns would pretty much be standard operating procedure, and you could throw in things like flamethrowers, grenades and molitov's, and whatever else you feeling like hurling at a car. Check out "Road Warrior"...

Vehicles would essentially be designed for, and to endure combat. Again with $1,000, not exactly something that's easy to present.

But you could also capitalize in other areas that the game is afraid to go, such as pedestrian crossfire slaughter, if you really want to get gruesome...

Personally, I would've expected cars to be armored up and/or have some type of anti-missile guidance device. Or you could just use rockets, which aren't as accurate. Mounted machine guns would pretty much be standard operating procedure, and you could throw in things like flamethrowers, grenades and molitov's, and whatever else you feeling like hurling at a car. Check out "Road Warrior"...

Vehicles would essentially be designed for, and to endure combat. Again with $1,000, not exactly something that's easy to present.

true. yes.

i see. i'll just let it go.

don't call me stupid frog.

I watched your other clip. It was better, and I'll admit, if plagiariazied then I don't know what from. The "This house had a murder and now has a curse," story is cliched as hell, but I'll give credit where its due and say that I haven't seen the "Twist" yet. The acting, however, is on par with Resident Evil one. The game, not the movie.

Not, let me be nice and sparkly clear with you: I have just written a review. You do not have to agree with it. It is based strictly on opinion. You cannot please everybody, you never will. I told you what I thought was wrong. You can either tell me where to stick it, or swallow your pride, go back, and try to correct it.

This is how it is. If you intend to direct movies for a living, then this is something you need to get used to. Peolpe have opinions, some stronger than others. Nine times out of ten you will have done something to earn it. Blaming them for not liking your work will NOT entice them to run to a theater and drop 10 bucks on a ticket to your show. Trying to defend the fact that another character wasn't ripped off to a world of people who know better is downright foolish. If I made a movie about a guy who fights crime after his parents are murdered, and the costume he wears while doing it is themed after an ALBINO bat, people would rip and damn me to no end, and rightfully so. If everyone is telling you the SAME thing, then how is it possible that you cannot see it for what it is?

Too much pride.

Let's talk about the car combat. Cars drive over powerups and can take severeal missle hits before merely catching fire. Each car has its own special attack, and driving over a health pack will repair whatever damage and missing pieces the car has sustained. Yes, to do this in a live action film would be utterly ridiculous. That's why amenities are taken in game to movie translations. Think the Resident Evil movies. How much would you bitch if everytime Alice ran from something or turned to shoot a zombie she had to stop, rotate in place, then press up to move forward twenty times in a each scene? Oh no, she's been shot, but she mixed red herb with a green and now she's all better? Every chest she finds in the city has exactly whatever it was she placed in a chest across town? Do you see where I'm going with this? Things have to change in transition, what makes sense in a game doesn't always do so in movies.

My point is your TM movie isn't great, and on that skimpy budget it's not gonna be, unless you were shooting for the Ed Wood effect. Your trailer is bad, your Sweet Tooth a rip, and upon watching this, others assume the rest of the movie will be as well. If you do not like this, then change it, or post a better trailer. Opinions can only be formed from what was shown to judge. What you provided us to judge, something you asked us to do by the way, was not good at all. If you cannot take criticism or words for improvement, then you need a new career. This one will not work for you.

dude.

i swear to god, this is the fucking final time i'm saying it, drop the sweet tooth=joker shit.

I HAVE FUCKING HEARD YOU. I DID WHAT YOU SAID AND LISTENED TO YOU SAY IT TWICE OR THREE TIMES ALONG WITH OTHERS SAYING IT. IT'S YOUR OPINION AND THAT'S FINE. I'M DONE DISCUSSING THAT. SO LET IT GO. I GOT IT!

FOR ANYONE WHO DOESN'T ALREADY KNOW:

SWEET TOOTH IS A RIP OF JOKER.

SWEET TOOTH IS A RIP OF JOKER!!!!!

that is not criticism. honestly it's not. it's like saying i want you to tell me what you think of pepsi. and you respond by saying it tastes like coca-cola. you can think that but that doesn't say anything at all about pepsi. i respect your opinions. and i understand you dislike my movie(s).

i'm not trying to be a dick. but i know, sweet tooth is a rip of joker, i heard. you annoyed yet? cause read the last four pages. that's all you've all been talking about!

I watched your other clip. It was better, and I'll admit, if plagiariazied then I don't know what from.

what? do you seriously think all my work is stolen now?

If you intend to direct movies for a living, then this is something you need to get used to.

are you even reading my posts?

when did i say i was a good director? i mean i didn't even direct twisted metal.

Hey, I'm just curious - what type of sound gear are you using? It sounds like onboard camera audio in the Crawlers trailer.

One of the things that makes amature productions obviously amature is poor sound recording. It's really sticks out to me. Imagine if Cloverfield (shot in an amature style that was cool) actually used onboard camera mics. Blagh! I think lofi/cinema verite style audio contributes much more to that cheesy feeling than amature video will.

I shoot and edit news-esque video (usually at trade conventions and training events) for some websites and the toughest part to learn and what takes the most thought and planning on site is the best way to record audio. The video is generally not much more than pointing and shooting, but for the audio I have to consider things like, should I use the shotgun mic with camera-mounted preamp, should I use the wireless lav system, or should I just get ambient noise with the onboard mic? Which way should I point to minimize background noise and reverb?

Then there's post production compression, noise reduction, normalization, EQing so that voices are audible but not peaking, etc.

It's a lot to learn and a lot of money to spend. Getting outfitted with a variety of decent audio equipment is likely more money than a good camera will be unfortunately, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Wow, buddy-I have just read this whole thread. Stop fixating on the Joker/Sweet Tooth thing. If you weren't so defensive, people probably wouldn't be riding you so much about it.

I don't think everyone is saying you copied Heath Ledger's Joker-admittedly some are, but as other people have said, the internet is full of critics, not neccessarily all of them will seem rational to you. The fact of the matter is, even without copying the character, having a psychotic clown character, lanky, grungily dressed with a knife you should be expecting these sort of comments.

It's like imagine after Spielberg made E.T., if a student film project featured a small, wrinkly friendly alien with similar motives in a different plot. Of course people are going to pick up on the similarities; they may be coincidental or purely superficial, but a shaved monkey could recognise they were there. A blockbuster film would be held back by the studio until sufficient time had passed before the release to avoid such backlash.

Stop taking these as attacks and just take the criticism, or stop posting altogether, because you're clearly not getting what you wanted out of this thread. Saying "you raise some good points" through bared teeth doesn't help anyone, and getting angry and arguing only costs you your dignity.

Fact of the matter is, you've got to be confident enough in your subject matter that people can look past the similarities. So stop getting angry at people if you're truly confident that the full film would shut them up, otherwise you getting angry is merely showing your inability to handle criticism. And think about that, because a commercially successful film still gets it's share of damning critics reviews.

In my personal opinion, Twisted Metal without a budget is a terrible choice if you don't want to do lots of car based action scenes, just because the story is not really that significant other than providing an excuse for OTT destruction derbys and car fights. It'd be like making an F Zero movie without futuristic cars, except you don't have the luxury of a scifi world to fall back on.

I mean, sure you can still make something, but how pointful is it at that point to use a known license rather than aim for something similarly themed, yet original?

Sweet Tooth's 'killer clown escaped from mental institute' is already a rather cliche subject matter, but it is something to work with. I have yet to see you relay a clear beginning, middle and end structure for your movie. This would've given people a better idea of what to expect beyond the clown character, which from the trailers you obviously intended as your primary focus and draw, hence the focus on Sweet Tooth which is making you so angry.

The potential is there, I'm guessing something along the lines of:

beginning: escape from institute

middle: meeting Calypso, promise of wish on some condition involving conflict

ending: Sweet Tooth's wish coming true ( I can't remember his actual game ending)

I doubt it's anything ground breaking, but if it was that easy to make a good video game adaptation, I'm sure they'd have a better rep in Hollywood, letalone the indie film community.

I'm sure your film is passable, but I'm gonna have to agree with people that the snippets of acting in the trailer are not really respectable and that if the whole film is like that I would feel pained to sit through it.

I don't think anyone's saying making a film is easy, but clearly you posted this in the hope of praise and were upset to be met with criticism and in fairness I think a lot of people would. But know your audience-I mean, come on, internet forums are anything but forgiving.

There's some harshness in this thread, but there are also more than a few kernels of truth. Take it on board and know that this is part of the learning process, who knows your future projects could be great.

Do yourself a favour, don't skim read this, pretend you've taken it on board when it's actually just made you mad and proceed to get irrationally angry by misunderstanding my restating the Joker point.

Also, do not try to get all high and mighty with 'awards' and ask what films I've made or what my qualifications are. If you must know, I do Film Studies (as in analysing them, not making them) at university and am on course for a 1st degree, but I think that's irrelevant here beyond the fact that I played the Twisted Metal games back in the day, am an avid gamer and film lover/appreciator.

If it really does just feel like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, just take the fact that I've wished you luck for future projects, recognised some of the potential merits of your film in spite of the flaws and leave this thread with a little dignity.

Hey, I'm just curious - what type of sound gear are you using? It sounds like onboard camera audio in the Crawlers trailer.

One of the things that makes amature productions obviously amature is poor sound recording. It's really sticks out to me. Imagine if Cloverfield (shot in an amature style that was cool) actually used onboard camera mics. Blagh! I think lofi/cinema verite style audio contributes much more to that cheesy feeling than amature video will.

I shoot and edit news-esque video (usually at trade conventions and training events) for some websites and the toughest part to learn and what takes the most thought and planning on site is the best way to record audio. The video is generally not much more than pointing and shooting, but for the audio I have to consider things like, should I use the shotgun mic with camera-mounted preamp, should I use the wireless lav system, or should I just get ambient noise with the onboard mic? Which way should I point to minimize background noise and reverb?

Then there's post production compression, noise reduction, normalization, EQing so that voices are audible but not peaking, etc.

It's a lot to learn and a lot of money to spend. Getting outfitted with a variety of decent audio equipment is likely more money than a good camera will be unfortunately, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

no i use a boom mic. audio technica. and of course i post edit all audio with soundtrack pro and soundbooth.

Wow, buddy-I have just read this whole thread. Stop fixating on the Joker/Sweet Tooth thing. If you weren't so defensive, people probably wouldn't be riding you so much about it.

I don't think everyone is saying you copied Heath Ledger's Joker-admittedly some are, but as other people have said, the internet is full of critics, not neccessarily all of them will seem rational to you. The fact of the matter is, even without copying the character, having a psychotic clown character, lanky, grungily dressed with a knife you should be expecting these sort of comments.

In my personal opinion, Twisted Metal without a budget is a terrible choice if you don't want to do lots of car based action scenes, just because the story is not really that significant other than providing an excuse for OTT destruction derbys and car fights. It'd be like making an F Zero movie without futuristic cars, except you don't have the luxury of a scifi world to fall back on.

I mean, sure you can still make something, but how pointful is it at that point to use a known license rather than aim for something similarly themed, yet original?

ending: Sweet Tooth's wish coming true ( I can't remember his actual game ending)

I doubt it's anything ground breaking, but if it was that easy to make a good video game adaptation, I'm sure they'd have a better rep in Hollywood, letalone the indie film community.

I'm sure your film is passable, but I'm gonna have to agree with people that the snippets of acting in the trailer are not really respectable and that if the whole film is like that I would feel pained to sit through it.

I don't think anyone's saying making a film is easy, but clearly you posted this in the hope of praise and were upset to be met with criticism and in fairness I think a lot of people would. But know your audience-I mean, come on, internet forums are anything but forgiving.

There's some harshness in this thread, but there are also more than a few kernels of truth. Take it on board and know that this is part of the learning process, who knows your future projects could be great.

Also, do not try to get all high and mighty with 'awards' and ask what films I've made or what my qualifications are. If you must know, I do Film Studies (as in analysing them, not making them) at university and am on course for a 1st degree, but I think that's irrelevant here beyond the fact that I played the Twisted Metal games back in the day, am an avid gamer and film lover/appreciator.

If it really does just feel like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, just take the fact that I've wished you luck for future projects, recognised some of the potential merits of your film in spite of the flaws and leave this thread with a little dignity.

i'm not trying to get high and mighty pal. i posted my experiences so people would know i have some. i hope you don't really think i wanted praise cause you are sadly mistaken. i hate my work as do most film makers. i saw an interview with george lucus who said he won't even watch his star wars films. just as an example.

for most of what you said i have no problem hearing. but for the fourth or fifth time i do know how to take criticism. i have been doing this for a decade now. yes only the past couple years has my film making been serious. but i have been hearing about problems with my films for ten years. and i don't care what you do. i didn't ask.

all i wanted was to post a fan film. that's it. excuse me for living.

i'm not trying to get high and mighty pal. i posted my experiences so people would know i have some. i hope you don't really think i wanted praise cause you are sadly mistaken. i hate my work as do most film makers. i saw an interview with george lucus who said he won't even watch his star wars films. just as an example.

for most of what you said i have no problem hearing. but for the fourth or fifth time i do know how to take criticism. i have been doing this for a decade now. yes only the past couple years has my film making been serious. but i have been hearing about problems with my films for ten years. and i don't care what you do. i didn't ask.

all i wanted was to post a fan film. that's it. excuse me for living.

See, there you go, avoiding the issue. You were clearly getting high and mighty when you dismissed peoples earlier criticisms on the grounds of "I'd like to see you make a better film, what are your qualifications?". With me, you've subverted the issue, making excuses and getting prickly.

I mentioned my own qualifications because I suspect you would've dismissed me on lack of qualifications to comment otherwise. And if you think I'm acting like I'm being some pompous qualification dropping ass to impress you, as your reply implied, look in the mirror. You did exactly the same thing. And why? So people would know and not try and call you out on it.

I am aware that most film makers see the flaw in their work. Your citing Lucas an example is hardly comparable; he can't watch his old work in a sort of "What was I thinking?" sort of way. It's not really the same as making a film and instantly hating it, not just being displeased with it. Besides, if you disliked it right off the bat, I'd have thought you'd keep it private rather than share it with the world.

I'm sure you can accept criticism too, but you're sure as hell not doing a very good job of showing it. To be honest, I don't give a rats ass what you do, I never said you couldn't post your film, I didn't rudely blow off your film which some members of this thread did. Being a petulant child about things and saying "EXCUZ ME FOR BREATHING LOLZ" makes you look like more of an idiot than me.

I'm merely expressing my opinions on a public forum thread that asked for them-sorry you didn't seem to like them, but I said myself you're welcome to ignore them if you wish. They are just opinions.

I just tried to clarify that there are better things to do with your time than to argumentively jump to the defense of every post and that in doing so, you've overlooked some very good points raised. Plus you still havn't actually given any more details on the film or it's structure-I was genuinely quite curious.

By all means, continue to get prickly and make excuses, but you're only making more of a public spectacle of yourself.

Give it up or drop the attitude. This thread stopped doing itself any favours 3 or 4 of the long attempts to be constructive ago.

my argument is flawed you say? no offense, and i'm sure you will pull out your dictionary for more "terms", but you can't even argue having not seen the film. i mean how can you? first of all can you prove i plagiarized? no. you haven't seen it. you know nothing about my film other than the 67 seconds i uploaded. second, what did anything in the trailer even have to do with The Dark Knight? anything? or just how i "looked"? have you seen The Dark Knight? if i had not used music from The Dark Knight in that trailer would you think all this still? are you aware that i know i used music from The Dark Knight in that trailer? i actually thought it was funny. third, i had 4 "professors" who have real film experience helping us in many of the scenes. did you read my first post? they have seen both trailers and the cut film. they didn't say anything you said. funny huh? fourth, what is it you want? me to admit i ripped off The Dark Knight? or joker? or what? do you have to always be right? is it something like that? cause if that will make you shut up i'll do it. and anyone out there who believes me, which is all but you and a few others here, thank you. i don't know what you want me to say. but since you know everything you can just put words in my mouth. sound good?

Ha ha ha. "Professors." You know, Charles Foster Kane married a "singer."

It's like imagine after Spielberg made E.T., if a student film project featured a small, wrinkly friendly alien with similar motives in a different plot. Of course people are going to pick up on the similarities; they may be coincidental or purely superficial, but a shaved monkey could recognise they were there. A blockbuster film would be held back by the studio until sufficient time had passed before the release to avoid such backlash.

Stop taking these as attacks and just take the criticism, or stop posting altogether, because you're clearly not getting what you wanted out of this thread. Saying "you raise some good points" through bared teeth doesn't help anyone, and getting angry and arguing only costs you your dignity.

Fact of the matter is, you've got to be confident enough in your subject matter that people can look past the similarities. So stop getting angry at people if you're truly confident that the full film would shut them up, otherwise you getting angry is merely showing your inability to handle criticism. And think about that, because a commercially successful film still gets it's share of damning critics reviews.

Sweet Tooth's 'killer clown escaped from mental institute' is already a rather cliche subject matter, but it is something to work with. I have yet to see you relay a clear beginning, middle and end structure for your movie. This would've given people a better idea of what to expect beyond the clown character, which from the trailers you obviously intended as your primary focus and draw, hence the focus on Sweet Tooth which is making you so angry.

Do yourself a favour, don't skim read this, pretend you've taken it on board when it's actually just made you mad and proceed to get irrationally angry by misunderstanding my restating the Joker point.

Great post, good sir! You have pretty much nailed it.