S&K Hidden palace/lava reef LOOKING FOR collab for Production

http://www.myspace.com/grandfatherkeyesakashiningpearlywhites

I have been working on the arrangement for a while, posted it and got suggestions to find someone who can handle production and submit it.

I produced the track using Finale SongWriter 2007 and modified EQ with Audacity. Samples used by Finale are horrible, the piano in particular and rhythm is very robotic.

Since I am not well acquainted with Reason and FL yet, I cannot produce at this time but I would like to get this thing submitted so if there are arrangement issues with the judges I can continue working on it again or move onto another arrangement submission.

PM if you are interested after listening to the file. If you want MIDI or mp3 to check out, I can post it online and send you the link.

Kevin

So, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You want somebody to take a midi or whatever of your song, and basically remake it in Reason or FL or something? with some sweet mastering and such, and then it will be a collab between you and this production person?

sounds good to me (if thats the case). I really love this source tune as well. I'll take a listen to your remix when I am not so busy, and I'll see what I Can do :D.

Ah, finale arrangements. I have some critique for your arrangement:

There's a lot of meandering going on in here, no clear direction and because of it the source material really doesn't permeate very well. What's this written for, string quartet and piano? Or is it supposed to be string orchestra and piano? I know this is pre-production but I'm having trouble telling what's going on with those instruments. You have some cool individual ideas, but one thought is strung into the next with no consideration for transition. And to make matters worse, this is a long remix. If you're looking to submit, I'm not sure if you'd want to send this out for production yet--I think the arrangement still needs work. See if you can sort out your ideas a bit more, try to make it very clear what you're trying to say. Clarity of intention!!

Thanks for the support. I have been trying to work on this arrangement again, but I set it aside about 5 months ago because I just couldn't listen to it anymore and was running out of stamina to produce more ideas/motifs.

I don't have any prior arranging experience so this is all from scratch. Let me know if you think you can do anything with it. I am also contacting one or two other people to see if they can support me on arrangement or production side as well since I am just an amateur arranger.

Kevin

So, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You want somebody to take a midi or whatever of your song, and basically remake it in Reason or FL or something? with some sweet mastering and such, and then it will be a collab between you and this production person?

sounds good to me (if thats the case). I really love this source tune as well. I'll take a listen to your remix when I am not so busy, and I'll see what I Can do :D.

Ah, finale arrangements. I have some critique for your arrangement:

There's a lot of meandering going on in here, no clear direction and because of it the source material really doesn't permeate very well. What's this written for, string quartet and piano? Or is it supposed to be string orchestra and piano? I know this is pre-production but I'm having trouble telling what's going on with those instruments. You have some cool individual ideas, but one thought is strung into the next with no consideration for transition. And to make matters worse, this is a long remix. If you're looking to submit, I'm not sure if you'd want to send this out for production yet--I think the arrangement still needs work. See if you can sort out your ideas a bit more, try to make it very clear what you're trying to say. Clarity of intention!!

Thanks a bunch for your critique! I've been posting this every few months for the past year or so and I have gotten some really good critiques and having your thoughts on here really makes me encouraged to keep trying. Most of what you have said was a reiteration of past reviews in the WIP forum:

(8/9/07) http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8586

(3/27/07) http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10426

On this thread, Splunkle, Radiowar, and JMr all commented pretty much the same as you, although this was a prior iteration of my arrangement. The current one I was focusing on what you suggested, although since you said it for this arrangement, it means I still haven't resolved the problems of clarity, transition, meandering, ... I have had trouble making the flow of ideas seem a little more clear because production side, I don't have much technical ability with FL Studio or Reason, and Audacity/finale really don't cut it in the way of eq'ing and balancing the soundscape. Lengthwise, I'm sure there are excesses, but I left a lot of ideas in because I figured whomever I worked with on production would be able to work with me and give feedback about where to cut more and where to refine more so that the ultimate intention of the song gets communicated.

To respond to your question regarding instrument usage, I mainly used piano and the strings so that the listener could at least hear some interchange between leading arrangement and the supporting instrumentation. I have also listened to more arrangements with strings and piano from ocremix.org so my ear is better attuned to listening and reproducing those ideas on finale... haha. Not that it makes much sense to write that way.

The larger idea behind the arrangement is supposed to be a slowed down version of the source material. Since in the actual game, sonic is speeding through this entire thing, I wanted to mold it to have a more scenic understanding of the lava flow. I was intending to have lava reef zone be repeated 3-4 times as the main melody and the transition between each loop be supported by variation on the other parts of lava reef. I tried to emphasize the hanging chord structure variation after the end of each melody iteration because this was a motif other remixers seemed to be doing. Sadorf in his demos even emphasized a descending chord structure and then jumping back up:

blgq

I also tried to add a very slowed down melody of hidden palace in the background, it works, although it will take a lot more work to make it sound natural and balanced with lava reef. It also sounds funny to me sometimes because I took the two melodies and just sort of found a way to stick them together.

Could you hear any of this?

Regardless, I thank you for putting in the time to listen and critique this as I haven't had much luck attracting enough attention in the past for getting a lot of feedback, and so I am not sure exactly how to proceed. Now I know that production will probably help shave off the extra time and clear up the transition and ideas here and there. If you do end up reading this comment and have time to respond, I would really be excited to hear more specifically what you meant in your comments.

-Kevin