OCR00316 - Final Fantasy VIII "Eyes on Me (Obsession)"

Saunders

The vocals sound very close to what I would imagine an obsessed stalker would sound like. VERY believable and creepy. She sounded like she was almost crying at the end there. I agree, the vocals gripped me and gave me multiple shivers. I heard this song on Ormgas while writing a report, and I stopped what I was doing just to come over here and review it.

Definately deserves a re-listen or three.

I have to say, I downloaded this music a few months ago, and it made me cry. Probably the voice, or something, anyways I deleted it immediately, I thought it was waaay too depressing for me! To this very day, I am afraid of this remix! No kidding, if I commit suicide, CotMM will be the one to blame!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. I likewise found this song off ormgas, and felt the need to say something about it. I generally find CotMM songs between boring and downright unlistenable - they're just not my thing. The first half of the song, when it was just background, I was thinking this would be just another of the same. But then the vocals came in, and bang. This song is the first of CotMM's song I found unique in a really cool, "I'm gonna have to listen to that one again" sort of way, rather than unique in the "why would anyone bother" sort ;).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

This song reminds me of something dreamlike, sort of strange; at the very beginning, there's a sort of uncomfortable tension, where therafter it slips into some sort of unconscious feeling, like fainting, and the rest is just some sort of delusional trail of thought.

The monologue adds to the same feeling, with some sort of psychosis, some kind of stressing, torcherous, continuous thoughts, kind of driving the speaker into the sort of confused, lost, delusion. The accent sounded a bit southern, but still, pretty genuine.

I enjoyed listening to the song, even if it was a bit strange, kind of unfamiliar at first.

And the ending is pretty nice, a very different feeling in comparison to the rest.

Hmm. I hope that makes sense.

• 1 month later...

CotMM has always done some sort of weird remixes, but this GOTTA take the price. It sure is Eyes on Me, and that´s what really freaks me out. I will check the lyrics for this one, or more like the conversation of that girl.

This mix gives off some sort of depressive feeling, like someone´s life got destroyed by drugs or something. But still, very individual for taking such a task trying to give this track the total opposite of the original.

Good work.

This is by far one of my favorite CotMM remixes. The monologue makes me shiver everytime I hear it. It's just so emotional, the entire song conveys the feeling of obsession and stalking. It's just brilliant on every level. I love the choice of sounds too. That lead synth, it kind of sounds bubbly, but distorted, definitely something that took a lot of time to craft. (not a 3x3 Osc preset in flstudio) The whole song, is just haunting, whenever this plays, I just stop everything I'm doing, absorbed into the song, it's just amazing, through and through one of the best remixes on the site, and I know I say that about a lot of the remixes on the site, but this is just brilliant. 12/10

• 1 year later...

I must admit i dont like this mix. But its a love it or hate it kind of thing

The problem here is you are trying to top A. One hell of a song with one beautiful voice. B. One of the best scenes in FF VIII that quite frankly begins to pull everything into focus. It was no coincidence the song was used there. But i wont go into spoiler info. It was a good attempt i suppose but its never been nor will be my cup of tea.

I can't stand this mix. Absolutely the worst thing I have ever heard. First off, song lyrics are not supposed to be spoken in monotone. It just doesn't work. Secondly, it was a monotone within a song, which count's as double points against it. I first listened to it months ago and now I am reviewing it with the song(?) playing in the background and I just turned it off because it just sucked so bad. This does not reflect obsession, it creates a terrible mess of thoughts inside one's head and the like of which shouldn't even be accompined with music in the first plece. Also, it wasn't creepy at all. It was just annoying and did a terrible job of trying to be destrubing if that was the intention. The music was even disgraceful, and relied way to heavily on reverb that was overdone and created an even bigger mess. I can find no saving grace anywhere in this song. It is just a mess of crappy sounds thrown in a blender and half mixed at low speed.

• 4 weeks later...
I can't stand this mix. Absolutely the worst thing I have ever heard. First off, song lyrics are not supposed to be spoken in monotone. It just doesn't work. Secondly, it was a monotone within a song, which count's as double points against it.

Maybe you should look up words before using them for a change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I believe someone here is suffering from the 'imajerkus' disease.

Actually, I think the biggest problem is people don't look at it objectively. This piece is an experimental piece from what I've seen. It's not supposed to be like the original. At all. Amazing how upset people can get, whatever happened to creative license?

Anyway, I think the biggest problem I have with it, is that it's rather difficult to understand Dani's vocals with the sound set at a low volume. I suppose it's supposed to be played louder than that, but I'd rather not blow out my eardrums. XD

Aside from that, I really enjoyed the twisted new take on one this, I liked the original, but I'm not so much of a purist as to hate seeing someone playing around with it. Also, I could never figure who was supposed to be the stalker; the vocalist, or the guy she's talking about.

• 1 year later...

This track is one of the most incredible things I've heard on OCR. FF8 is my favorite PS game, so I don't take its remixes lightly. Rather than trying to "improve" on the OSV, you did something completely different, which is rare, and it worked, which is much rarer!!

One criticism I have is that the middle part is probably a bit too complicated, which distracts from the excellent rendering of the lyrics. Maybe if there was a bit less echo, and if she sounded more distant... The piano accompaniment at that point is perfect; couldn't have been done better.

The, "oh god, you're still smiling!" was an insightful addition and just about made me fall out of my chair. Good work, you made my day.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You can throw me on the "I liked it" pile. I've always kept an extra-open mind when it comes to CotMM, because I know it most certainly does not pay off to tackle some of his material with heavy expectations. That being said, the accessibility here isn't as strained as some of his other works.

It plays like a haunting eulogy in the shadow of the original and that alone is bound to not be everyone's ideal listening experience, but I think it's the vocals that must be throwing a lot of people off. Admittedly, the first time I heard them I thought they were a very hard sell and didn't think they belonged. They have grown on me after a few runthroughs, but they aren't quite right and fail to convey the amount that they could have. You could say they sound creepy because of it, but I think it's just that they are askew to the mix's design.

It's adequate sombre stuff, and both a successful and imperfect experiment with monologue. It deserves props for being different at the very least. I really didn't mind this at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I like how the wobble underneath adds a supportive backdrop to the distorted atmosphere. The drums were pretty bland, though; the snare sounded like a hi hat. The tapering off at 1:56 exposed a nice and demented timbre to the wobble that was previously obscured. Would have liked the vocals that came after to have a wider delay, but I liked the overall 'possessed' feel to the delay tone.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00316 - Final Fantasy VIII "Eyes on Me (Obsession)"