Your Best Game Deals Ever

q-pa

I just got back from my semi-local used video game store and was surprised to discover some of the best deals for classic games I've ever seen. This one is kind of in a remote out-of-the-way location so all the good stuff seems to end up there. But this... this was like the stars aligning!

I picked up, among other things:

Super Mario All-Stars for $15

Metroid (yellow label) for $14

Final Fantasy III (VI) for $25 and...

:!: Super Metroid for $18

Even though I've played all of these games before (albeit not on a console...), I couldn't let these slip away.

So I was thinking, what are some of the best deals on video games you've taken advantage of? Have you ever experienced that feeling of not only finding that long-lost gem but at a reasonable price?

eBay auction. It was one of those mothers selling her child's stuff type of deals.

$50 which includes shipping

Dreamcast (with cables)

2 controllers

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Grandia 2

Dead or Alive 2

Fighting Force

Two other games I can't recall.

Totally worth it.

Two days ago I bought NiGHTS Journey of Dreams on Wii for $3 from Meijer. Whoa. I traded one in to GameStop today for $14.90 after promotions and EDGE card.

Last year when Best Buy had their giant summer clearance sale, I bought SRS and Day of Reckoning 2 on GameCube for $2 each. I also used a $5 off coupon the same fay to pick up Final Fantasy IV on GBA for $5.

eBay auction. It was one of those mothers selling her child's stuff type of deals.

Totally worth it.

Very similar to what is probably the best deal I've ever got:

Dreamcast (with all cables)

2 controllers

1 third party memory card

Soul Calibur (which wasn't even on the eBay listing! )

NBA 2K1

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

Expendable (still don't think I've even tried that)

two or three demo discs (from magazines, etc)

2 N64 memory cards (...?)

I think it cost me around $45-50 CDN. That was several years ago, and I can't quite remember the exact amount. It was probably another case of a parent selling their child's stuff... why else would there be N64 memory cards included?

Recently, I traded an old copy of Pokemon Silver for the GBA remake of Donkey Kong Country 3. Others may beg to differ, but it was a great deal in my opinion.

EDIT: I also got a copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day for $10 once. Gave it to my brother as a Christmas gift.

Earthbound on ebay with only the guide for $7 including shipping.

Best deal in this thread by far. Damn!

For me probably getting a complete Japanese Famicom for about $2.50 at a recycle shop. Already had a nice toploader but it's still good to have the original system. Finding a seller at a flea market or junk shop that don't know the market value of old Famicom games is also great. For instance, getting Ice Climber for $4 when it usually goes for about $40 in a lot of shops. Personally I hate spending more than $15 or so on old Famicom games, but some of them are crazy expensive. $200-$400 for some of the rarer boxed games. My holy grail would be to find the original Castlevania for less than $20. Most of the time it goes for at least $100, even for a loose cart...

A friend of mine had never actually had a computer of his own, so we made a trade. I gave him an old 500MHz machine with 256MB RAM, and he gave me a Nintendo DS with Final Fantasy III and Pokémon Diamond.

What's cool is he never played the DS, so both of us felt like we had made a good trade.

Best deal in this thread by far. Damn!

The funny thing is, I didn't know that it went for a lot of money until more recently. One of my friends shoveled out $90 for just the cart and had a heart attack when I told her how much I got mine for.

I got Little Nemo: Dream Master for $1 at a thrift store that was closing up. A while back I got a Tengen Pac-Man and a Tengen Gauntlet at Gamecrazy for $3 total because the guys at the shop like me.

And about five years ago, I saw Chrono Trigger for $4. Unfortunately, it was water damaged... we're talking mega rust.

bearing in mind this was back in 2004, but I exploited a flaw in a local EB Games computer system during a "buy two get one free" sale on used games... their system was marking the most expensive game as free. result, $30 of my own money (plus a $50 gift card) netted me the following.

Tron 2.0, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, Grand Theft Auto III, Red Faction, Comand & Conquer: Generals Deluxe Edition, Sin, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon 2 Platinum, Battlezone 2, Star Trek: Armada, the 7th Guest, The Simpsons: Hit and Run, Quake 2, Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Jedi Outcast, Black & White, Grand Theft Auto 2, Max Payne 2, Midtown Madness 2, Rune, Homeworld 2, Homeworld, MDK2, Dark Reign 2 (the bolded ones were free. the copy of generals would've been $50 on it's own.)

there was one other game, which was total crap, and I can't remember, I just grabbed it to get Homeworld 2 free, I think.

there was also, more recently, Psychonauts for Xbox for $12 at Gamestop.

At my Goodwill a few days ago, we got the Orange Box from Target, unopened, and we priced it for $6.99. I envy the fucker that got it. I would have if I didn't already own the Orange Box.

I can't really pick out any best deals, but I get PC games all the time for like $2.61 apiece. I also just got Sub-Terrania, Virtua Fighter 2, and Revenge of Shinobi [sega Classics version] for $1.99 apiece recently.