Your Best Game Deals Ever

q-pa

Wow, Master Roshi I mean Yoshi. You're a liar or the seller is dumb or OBSCENELY nice or desperate (my blasphemously rich uncle will decline me my bazillion-dollar estate if he sees these old occult-esque games!) I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode in which that one mother brings the box of Star Wars memorabilia to Comic Book Guy and he nerdgasms all over it but promptly cleans up the mess and asks for 5 dollars.

$.75 for Cool Boarders 3. It's a great game, but mostly because my brother and I laugh at its so-bad-it's-goodness.

"Who will ShmOKE the competition!" Yes. This mysterious "Who" person most certainly will.

Wow, Master Roshi I mean Yoshi. You're a liar or the seller is dumb or OBSCENELY nice or desperate (my blasphemously rich uncle will decline me my bazillion-dollar estate if he sees these old occult-esque games!) I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode in which that one mother brings the box of Star Wars memorabilia to Comic Book Guy and he nerdgasms all over it but promptly cleans up the mess and asks for 5 dollars.

Haha I got mine pretty similar. It was in a small-town's townwide garage sale, some old lady was probably cleaning up the stuff she never wanted (the bin that the games were in was right next to a box of hot wheels) so I think it was "the grandkids' toys" or something like that.

i bought sonic heroes for pc for 2.50. still haven't played it.

Haha, me too!

My holy grail would be to find the original Castlevania for less than $20. Most of the time it goes for at least $100, even for a loose cart...

I see it for under $20 regularly, at least around here. Even the generally more-expensive Castlevania III is under $20.

--Or do you mean the Japanese version?

No matter how low the price is, a deal in which you turned out to love the game to death would be the better one every time in my opinion. I can think of three instances of that for myself.

The first: Star Ocean 2 for $17.99. I hadn't ever heard of it at the time, but after seemingly countless months of noticing it at the game shop, I finally decided to buy it. I took that mother home and right from the beginning I was like, "Who wrote this freaking amazing music?!...Who came up with this freaking interesting talent and item creation system?!...Who designed this unfreakingbelievably insane battle system?!" I played that game many times and loved it all the way to the hardest version of the final boss of the hardest difficulty setting yo.

The second: Valkyrie Profile for $24.99. Having not remembered the name Tri-Ace from Star Ocean 2, I didn't realize that this game was made by the same company. Never-the-less, I was somehow drawn to it by it's cover art, title, and screenshots on the back in exactly the same way I had been to Star Ocean for all those months before. Took that mother home, played it, and from that day forth I declared that Tri-Ace was my all-time favorite game development team and that Motoi Sakuraba was my all-time favorite musician. I've just recently picked up Radiata Stories and it's happening to me all over again! I can't believe these guys!

The third: Alundra for $10. This was in Japan, so it was actually 1000 yen. If you've played it, then you can definitely understand why this deal rocks. Aside from being cheap, it's got the most painfully sweet puzzles you can find in a game. I was able to enjoy the heck out of it even in Japanese.

I remember getting Eternal Darkness, Killer 7, and a few other of my favorite gamecube games in the range of 5 - 10 bucks. Also, I got resident evil 2 + 3 off amazon together for a pretty cheap price (don't remember what exactly).

I always thought my gamecube was a great deal - $100 bundled with metroid prime. :-)

Not mine, but Amazon is currently having some big Nintendo titles sale right now. Every two hours, it changes, so if you want it, go now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

There are descriptions on each sell before they happen, so you can figure out what titles there are. Or just check out kotaku, joystiq, etc...

Not mine, but Amazon is currently having some big Nintendo titles sale right now. Every two hours, it changes, so if you want it, go now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27.

It was all stuff I already had, phooey...

--Oh yeah, mine best ever would have to be Tengen Tetris (NES) for $20 off of eBay. Don't know how it happened... but I got it.

A few years ago, I'd gone looking for a used copy of Xenogears at the local Gamestop. I found a copy, $15 which was great considering I'd seen 'em go for $50 at other places. The case was all beat up, but I figured I could replace it, and I could live without the booklet. I take it to the counter, and the manager, who I knew, told me he thought he'd seen a better copy in the back. He brings it out, I pay for it, and I go to open it to check it out. The case wouldn't open. I looked it over.

I realized it was missing the plastic wrapper, but it still had its seal at the top that had never been touched. It was brand new. I couldn't believe it.

My best game deal ever was probably back when Halo 2 had just come out. I was at Blockbuster and noticed that a Halo 2 box had a mislabeled price sticker on it. Instead of how much it should regularly cost brand new ($59.99 I believe) it said $5.99. I took it to the register and they noticed something was wrong, but sold it to me anyway. I didn't even have an Xbox at the time but I couldn't pass up on it. At a different Blockbuster I was also able to get brand new copies of Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts (both PS2) for seven dollars each. I know that isn't really a spectacular deal now, but at the time it was great. Also, last year when one of my friends moved away he sold me his very clean NES for 10 dollars and a bunch of really great games (Metroid, Zelda, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, etc etc) for two dollars each. Happy times!

• 2 weeks later...