OCR00967 - Super Metroid "Zebesian Midnight"

djpretzel

WAV is available by request. its on a fast server, but it's still 74 megs.

8O8O 74 MEGS!!?!?!

Well, anyway. This mix kicks massive amounts of arse! I absolutely loved every minute of it. It's great. Just, great. Oh, and I personally thought the chords at the jam section were a nice little touch. Just so you don't think everyone thought it was off.

The chords that people are complaining about works. This is what you call a remix. This is more of a movie soundtrack remix just in my opinion. Vigilante gives the kraid theme new life and makes it his own. If not for anything, this is the BEST part of the whole remix because of the way Vigilante flipped the script there.

I was going to say my only complaint was the audio quality of the files, but im going to get that 74 min .wav and thats that.

I very much like this, I thought it was great - from the somewhat Celtic-feel intro (anyone else get that impression?) to the natural seeming slides into different feels... It seems simple, but it isn't, it's very difficult to make something of this scope work, and yet work it does, beautifully. Great job.

I don't have Kazaa, but where is that wav? Must... Get... High-quality version...

This is an awesome remix. I'd liked to have seen more song themes subtley blended in with it, but you still chose some of the best (and quite possibly most eerie) themes of the series, and made an excellent jazz/fusion/etc. arrangement of it. The Kraid chord changes were strange in comparison to the pretty much strict chording of the rest of the song to the originals. But you know what, I liked it, and it worked well. I wish that remixers would take more liberties with the music (much like I have seen from AE, the wingless, and select others). In this case, I'm glad you put that in there Vigilante. This is what ReMixing is all about, and that is what I look the most forward to in new mixes to come.

Anyways, excellent job Vigilante, you're now an OCReMix legend.

I never bother to review the remixes, but I gotta say, this one kicks some huge ass. Seems very layered and polished to me, lots of variation so it never gets tedious.. it just flows on and on like a river of audio candy. :D

And FWIW, I like the first part in the full version.. kinda spooky and menacing. Shame it had to be cut for the site, but either way, this is definitely one of my favorite remixes here.

I agree on the first version, if you've made it to this thread, I encourage anyone to check out that OGG file (you can convert it to mp3 using dbpoweramp, the program is free) while it's still up. It's well worth your time to hear the original cut. Of course the version that made it on here is still excellent, but I think the first has more breathing space, and given the subtle ambient nature of the Metroid stuff, it's better for it.

This is also the first remix I've commented on. It isn't that I haven't really liked others, but a 9 minute super thing like this doesn't come along often...

I encourage anyone to check out that OGG file (you can convert it to mp3 using dbpoweramp, the program is free) while it's still up.

no! don't ever cross encode or advocate it unless it's absolutely necessary (such as cross-encoding for use on an iPod) ... you get all the artifacts of the ogg plus artifacts introduced by mp3 compression. Play the ogg, you can do it!

:arrow:Winamp - Versions 2.80 and higher (3 included) play Ogg Vorbis files providing you download the Standard or Full installer. The Lite versions of Winamp do not include the Ogg plug-in.

:arrow:Windows Media Player - There is a DirectShow filter that will enable you to play Ogg Vorbis files with Windows Media Player HERE.

:arrow:Quicktime - A working QuickTime component for Ogg Vorbis is available HERE. Works on PCs and on Macs.

oh yeah, and good job vigilante! sorry for the rant. :)

cheers.

I encourage anyone to check out that OGG file (you can convert it to mp3 using dbpoweramp, the program is free) while it's still up.

no! don't ever cross encode or advocate it unless it's absolutely necessary (such as cross-encoding for use on an iPod) ... you get all the artifacts of the ogg plus artifacts introduced by mp3 compression. Play the ogg, you can do it!

oh yeah, and good job vigilante! sorry for the rant. :)

cheers.

Oops. I didn't know about that. But it's too late, I already converted it... I can't notice any problems with the product, though. The main reason I suggested converting was, I don't know how many others do this, but I already have one Overclocked mp3 CD, and am 300 megs into a second one now. I don't believe any mp3/CD players (or mp3 players, for that matter) support this OGG format, but I don't really know. I just know this forum thread was the first I had heard of it.

This is a great remix, i love the open with the teleport sound remixed, that was awesome, then it goes everywhere throughout the whole thing, only one or two themes i've heard done before in other remixes but sounds much cooler in this version, then it goes into some classic metroid at the end. killer, i'll be listening to this one for a while, it'll be on the next CD of remixes i do. I have one question though, my real one says it is a 12 min track but it only plays about 7 mins. how do i change that or where can i get a version that doesn't do that (without downloading a 74mb file that won't fit on my machine anyway)? great remix, keep up the good work

This is a great remix, i love the open with the teleport sound remixed, that was awesome, then it goes everywhere throughout the whole thing, only one or two themes i've heard done before in other remixes but sounds much cooler in this version, then it goes into some classic metroid at the end. killer, i'll be listening to this one for a while, it'll be on the next CD of remixes i do. I have one question though, my real one says it is a 12 min track but it only plays about 7 mins. how do i change that or where can i get a version that doesn't do that (without downloading a 74mb file that won't fit on my machine anyway)? great remix, keep up the good work

Well, I know how some people feel about conversions, but I'd recommend DLing the wav and converting it to a high quality mp3 file yourself, then deleting the original wav. Or downloading it and burning the wav directly to an audio CD, which would be even better, if you were making such a remix CD. That clears the problem up, and plus you get a better sounding mix of the track.

I can understand not wanting to download it, but unless you literally don't have 74 open megs, it's your best bet.

I like it, but you have to admit it's a strange sound for a Metroid track to have. It took me a couple of plays to get used to it.

I don't know, maybe it's just me but I loved it from the start. Especially the scream effect, that perfectly brought in the classic kind of spooky ambience that Metroid has.

By the time the jazz section and other parts came in, I was too into it to think it may have seemed strange.

fantastic. i really enjoyed it.

perhaps after i've gotten to know it more i'll come back and post some more detailed comments... there were a few short bits that sounded a little strange, but it was the sort of thing that could have just been the song not liking the low bitrate. musically, nothing sounded strange to me at all (i'll grant i don't know the super metroid music very intimately though), and the ending was beautiful.

though i was a little saddened when i discovered it was the ending, cuz according to winamp there were still 3 minutes left. but i got over it, because the ending works very well as an ending. :)

great work!

*This is my first review on OC*

I'll be the first to admit I'm very easy to please, but very hard to impress. I enjoy virtually all the songs on this site, but there are a select few I truly treasure. This would be one of those few. I could comment on every little thing that impresses the hell out of me in this mix, but sadly, I wouldn't know where to begin. All I know is that Vigilante has instantly made his way into my musical heart with this mix. I think Zebesian Midnight will easily cement Vigilante as a top tier mixer on OC, if for no other reason than the simple fact that he took a chance.

--Wing

Wow. 8O

This is certainly deserving of all the positive comments it has gotten. Excellent guitar playing by Vig, really excellent. The soundscape is littered with instruments of synth and acoustic. Perfect instrument selection. I particularly like the bass and strings in this mix. The jazz sections are pulled off very well. This is very authentic stuff. There's really nothing to complain about here either. Overall, extremely high quality work Vig. I look forward to your next mix.

*This is the best remix on the site.*

1) Why are there 50+ reviews written for it? See above.

2) Why are the musical dynamics unmatched? See above.

3) Why is it 7 minutes long? See above.

4) Why am I bothering to write a review like this? See above.

5) I've only heard half the song and I'm writing this. Why? See above.

My god, man...this is a damned work of art. Props in the highest degree.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00967 - Super Metroid "Zebesian Midnight"