OCR00967 - Super Metroid "Zebesian Midnight"

djpretzel

Wow this stuff mae me burst my nibblets. Do you have nibblets? Thye're like rabbits but sexier. HAAH! jus kidding azide, gess wha? 'dis mix RuLex0rs da house foo-child! Why? 'cuz it's the bizniss bizniatch! w00trortrios! HAHAHAHA!

guess what i was looking through this girl i knos house wind0w and i saw stuff man. that made me tingk of dis song foo!

This is not my sort of music at all.

Why do I like this remix, then? I don't recognize half the themes in this mix, but for some reason every musical style used in this piece seem perfectly suited for Metroid. After four pages of glowing reviews, there's not much more I can say. I suppose it's the balance of 'wierd trancy' with 'smooth jazzy' that makes it so appealing.

How much of this did Vigilante play on live instruments?

Thanks Wingless and Vinren and everybody else.

Dicaeopolis wanted to know how much was live. i guess i'll take the time to go into the mix a little bit.

All the guitars, and the scream noises were live. most of the other sounds are courtesy of roland's fine line of synthesizers.

as soon as i figured out how to play Kraid on my guitar maybe a year ago, i knew i wanted to perform it. i started mixing during the summer of 2002 after buying some cheap recording equiptment, and i decided i would at some point have to do a metroid medly. (Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time.) but i wanted to do it right. i really didnt get the hang of mixing until september or october. I spent all summer on my first mix, Zero's Sacrifice, and i finished my second, liquid metal, in about a week and a half.

maybe november i decided to start working on this little marathon of mine. i decided on lower brinstar and kraid, but i couldnt figure out a good intro. so i figured it might work to throw in the Super Metroid load theme into the beginning, but even that sounded too abrupt. and from that came the sandstorm intro, which evolved into the "lost 2 minutes," the first movement, which consisted of the super metroid intro/story theme.

I'm happy with this mix. i think its my best work so far. i can think of some things that i would like to change, and maybe sometime i will. dont mean to talk about my mix like this, but as for what went right, i'll say that my favorite part of the mix is DEFINATELY, without question, the ending. The last minute is my favorite, especially after 6:43, when everything fades but the piano and guitar.

anyway, i'm very glad that people liked this mix, and i'm flattered by the praise, and i apreciate the constructive criticism. I do have 2 projects in progress, and i have several others planned.

thanks for the comments, and feel free to add any thoughts, impressions, criticisms; whatever you have to add. all reactions are useful for my future works. let me know what i'm doing right, and what i'm doing wrong.

-Jesse

I wasnt able to review this remix when it came out cause i was too busy listening to it non-stop, ever since it came out it is the only song i have been listening too. This is awsome, the best, THE VERY BEST! It is so freackin kick-awsome-ass! So, best song on here, my opinion. Im still listening to it btw

Also, i knwo this wasnt an actual review, but i cant concentrate with the song playing.

I don't care who you are or what kind of music you like, Zebesian Midnight is a must-have in any collection.

The ambient sounds near the beginning of the peice are pure gold. And it feeds into some excellent synth and acoustic work. I can almost visualize Samus, in her shiny armor, staring up at a Zebesian moon, letting the fear of metroids, keyhunters, and phantoons slip from her mind for the first time since she can remember...

Oops, I started writing a story.

Actually, what snapped me away from the image I was describing was the jazzy piano and guitar solos. They don't exactly hold to the image, but still suit the mood of the piece nicely.

After those, however, comes a high-tempo segment that almost seems like it comes from a different piece altogether. Up to now, it's been perfect, calm mood music. Now it's mood music that reflects motion. An interesting transition. Very smooth and interesting.

As you can no doubt see from my writing style, I was pretty immersed in this piece. In fact, immersive is the only word I can think of to aptly describe it. There is no way I could recommend any improvements. Well done, Vigilante. Well done.

Wow... Its stuff like this that shows me that the RIAA is completely made of crap. If Vigilante can do this from Super Metroid(While good yes, its not instrumental), it shows you don't need to be a stoned idiot with a contract to make brain-meltingly good music. Kee-rist, stop reading this and download it already!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Lord i love this mix.....

*listens again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again..........(you get the picture)*

Can't.....stop....dancing!

I feel like I'm gonna melt onto the floor when I listen to this.

Wow.....I can't even type straight.....I can't believe I've missed this song up until now! IIRC, something in the intro made me stop listening to it when it first got posted. I finally learned of how cool it was when I heard my roommate playing it instead of the background Zerg music for Starcraft.

Mmmm....I've been up all night listening to remixes, but I've got to go to sleep after this one, it's made me too mellow!

<starts to dance to the music again>

• 1 month later...

So when's the single coming out, and where can I buy it? ;)

Listening to this, I wasn't entirely certain that I wasn't listening to three or four entirely different songs on some crossfader. But no, it all has that underlying style of smooth flow behind rippling strength.

I love the ending, very mysterious, and the various rearrangements of the original Metroid theme. The intro sounds like something you'd find on the orchestral game concert album; reminds me of the OGC4 song. In fact, the entire song sounds like it could have come from one. Certainly long enough, and with its own distinct 'movements'.

But the jazzy piano/bass is my favorite part by far. You say this is synthed? I haven't heard synth that good in... well, in a very long time indeed. I swear, until I saw what you wrote, I was sure it was played by hand, and I'm a pianist and connioussier of such music. Excellent work, I'll be listening for more for certain. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Good Lord i love this mix.....

*listens again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and again..........(you get the picture)*

Same here, is it an epidemic :wink:

I would like to again give a big thanks to a fantastic mixer, a "shttyjudgefgt", and my good friend Ari Asulin for not only hosting, but encoding this mix and its 9 minute ogg counterpart. encoding a variable bitrate mp3 isnt easy, as you dont know how big it will end up, and we were kind of working under a strict 6 meg limit with a 7 minute song, so everybody give Prot a hand.

-Jesse

• 1 month later...

An absolutely beautiful piece of music. IMHO, trance / techno remixes of Metroid are done a little too much, so it's nice to get a break from that. And what a break it is!

One of the best aspects of the song is the way the different bits of the song all flow together. From the 2:10 jazzy piano segment (despite its brevity, one of my favorite pieces of the song) to the more intense aspects of the song around 3:57. All flavors mix just right as the final piece is a beauty.

On a bit of a side note, the song reminds me a lot of Stairway to Heaven. The way it starts off calm and collected, slowly building to a harder middle then slowly tappers off into quiet, leaving you in a sort of content lonileness by the end. Any Zeppelin inspirations, Vigilante?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh Man!!! I love it to death. over and over it plays in my head. I'm humming the tune and my co-worker is like, "isn't that metriod? you been playin' it or somethin'." I had to hype up your mix man. its jazzy, its ambient, its all that and maple syrup. thats how sweet it is. Of course I just recently put together the metriod remix CD for my self and this is the last track on it. This is because its the longest track, i had to put an intro first, and of course you save the best for last, meaning i have to listen to everything else to get to this unless i just sit there skipping tracks. yep, its that good. man if you haven't heard this, or say you don't like it, somethign is wrong.

10/10

Fucking A, man! Vigilante sure got his stuff down with this song alright. The way he manages to blend the different music form the regions is perfect and the instuments are gotten down pact to the point that it draws the listener into a beautiful yet adrenaline-packed state of mind! All I can say in the end is "PLease sir, may I have some more"?!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This song also holds a very personal spot in my heart (Yes... it does exist) as it was released after a very big breakup in my life. I got the song not long after it all happened, and it was on every CD I burned thereafter. For a time, it was pretty much all I was able to listen to.

Slow, yet engaging; calm and serene, yet it sends you on a roller coaster of emotions. The kind of song you could listen to while walking through a rainy night. I think Vigilante knew exactly what he was trying to get out of this mix, and he did just that. I always enjoyed the Metroid theme after Ailsean's "Metaltroid", but this song really has taken it to a whole new level.

I played this song to get some "calm" music going as I did some work, yet I couldn't concentrate, I just had to sit and listen (Especially at about 3:58, where it really picks up the pacing). Yes, this song is that good. Easily one of the best pieces of music I have ever heard in my entire life.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR00967 - Super Metroid "Zebesian Midnight"